Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Networking help (please)
  • tartanscarf

HI

Here’s the setup:

House: Belkin router providing wifi throughout our house.
    Reception (60m from our house) – TP Link router connected via Ethernet cable from the house and providing internet access on a PC over there,
    Also connected to the TP Link router is a Belkin Wireless Access Point to provide wifi within that specific area.

Problem: Although I can connect to the WAP in recepption and access the internet most of my guests can’t. They can see the WAP and are connected, it just won’t let them access the internet.

Any ideas?

Ta
    TS

tartanscarf

Just to add to the above – it did work when I initially set it up and I’ve reset everything with no success.

Cougar

Ping the IPs of the different devices, that’ll tell you where it’s failing.

Disable wireless security temporarily as a troubleshooting step. Don’t forget to re-enable it afterwards!

Try changing the channel used by the WiFi.

What’s different between you and them? Are you on XP and they’re on W7? PC and Mac? iPhone?

uplink
    Free Member

most of my guests can’t

does that mean some can?

Cougar

Ooh, well spotted.

tartanscarf

Cougar – how would I ping the IP’s? No wireless security 8O. I’ll change the channel.

I can access it on my Iphone and my laptop (XP). Most people are using smartphones – Iphone primarily.

uplink – yes.

Cheers
    TS

Cougar

Most people are using smartphones.
    Most people can’t access the Internet.

Are they the same ‘most’? Ie, is it exclusively a smartphone issue?

Can you test to see if an affected guest device works in the house?

how would I ping the IP’s?

On an iPhone, I’ve no idea, sorry.

GrahamS

There’s an app for the iPhone called “Network Utility” that lets you ping, port scan etc

Edit: here you go
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/network-utility/id308218551?mt=8

bobgarrod
    Free Member

I had a similar problem with a belkin router – sometimes could connect sometimes not with pc no.2 and smartphone. It was resetting the privacy settings all the time though weirdly the main pc remained unaffected. In the end changed router – end of problems.

Tom
    Free Member

If you have a cable going into the Internet port on the router or WAP, try moving it to an ethernet port instead.

GrahamS

If your gear connects and works, but the guests stuff doesn’t then:

– have you got a “Access Control List” set up on the router (i.e. a list of allowed devices). You’d need to turn that off.

– are you sure the guests are connecting to the right router (i.e. not hitting a neighbours wifi by mistake, have you set the SID to something obvious?).

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Is your WAP trying to give out DHCP addresses as well as the Belkin?

This is a good guide Extend your wireless range , it’s not exactly what you are doing but the principal is similar.

tartanscarf

Thanks for all this folks, I’ve got more to go on now.

GrahamS – there are no neighbours here 🙂

TS

tartanscarf

I eventually got someone into the house to try our wifi here. Rebooting the router in the house fixed the problem!

TS

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Networking help (please)’ is closed to new replies.