Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Network tester?
  • z1ppy

The company I work for have a number of network testers (seemingly generic) but there not always available, with engineers taking them off to far flung sites (& jealously guarding them). So thought I might get myself one (as a contractor).. but colleague bought a cheapy, which I borrowed and the tone tester wasn’t as effective as the work ones. So what’s good, or is it ‘fluke’ or nothing? (their pro 3000 not Cable IQ)

Cougar

What are you testing? There’s a world of difference (and cost) between checking electrical connectivity in a cable and producing a CAT6 certified network.

z1ppy

Just testing connectivity and tracing, not certifying networks.. just want a decent tool, not some POS…

brassneck

The guys all used Fluke on my last ground up 6A to desk install.

I’d ask myself how often I’d need that level of detail though if it wasn’t my day job – unless you’re an installer I doubt you do. I saw a NetScout unit at a trade show once that looked pretty cool but again it supplied way more than I ever needed.

footflaps

Lots of different tool about. Fluke do some nice ones which measure cable length – handy for locating breaks or figuring out why 1000BT isn’t working (cable run too long).

z1ppy

Bumping this again, as I’ve managed to lose my cheap and cheerful Noyafa unit that I previously ended up with, and so am again looking for something a bit better without spending hundreds. Really would like a more sensitive tracing unit that what most seem to give you .

Cougar

The one I have is ace, but with all the bits came to about £200.  Brand is Green-something, Greenlea maybe?

Cougar

Ah, here.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Greenlee-NC-500-Structured-Wiring-Tester/dp/B0026MT204

Dearer than I remember.  There’s an NC-100 too though, around £80.

z1ppy

Thanks, will take a look, my main issue is a lack of ‘brand’ recommendations, lots of testers available but no reviews/recommendation

Cougar

TBH, at the budget end they’re all much of a muchness in my experience.  The -really- cheap ones are crap though.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Network tester?’ is closed to new replies.