Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Network enabled heating
  • ChrisE
    Free Member

Anyone know anything about this?

What I am after is buying a load of wireless TRV valves and a wireless heating controller. Each valve to have its own IP address and so be able to set up each radiator individually. For example in the morning I might want the bedroom to come on at 6am and the kitchen at 6:15am then in the evening the lounge to come on and the bedroom much later. So the whole house would be individually programmed on a radiator by radiator basis.

Things would be different from weekdays to weekends and holiday. I need the hole thing to be controlled by an android phone or tab and (we have a static IP address in the house) be able to log in and change it remotely
    Some of my radiators have Danfoss heads and some screw on heads. New WiFi TRVs would have to be aesthetically acceptable. We have (wait for it) 34 radiators in our house. We have a pretty good wired and wireless IT system in the house

Any ideas?

C

fluxhutchinson
    Free Member

Honeywell evo is want you want although at £50-£60 a trv head it might get costly all the the hr92s are the most aesthetically pleasing of the options available.

ChrisE
    Free Member

will lokk at that. Has anyone on here ever tried to fit or use a similar system?

sharkbait
    Free Member

We have a pretty good wired and wireless IT system in the house

Do you have a power socket near every radiator? (because every TRV would need power in order to run).

Sounds complicated and fairly pointless – what’s the point in the kitchen coming on 15 mins after the bedroom?
    All you’re doing is making the boiler run for longer so it will cost more.

msjhes2
    Free Member

Check out heatgenius. Wifi trvs are battery powered and so no need for sockets

sharkbait
    Free Member

That’s a lot of batteries!

whatgoesup

The Honeywell system is great. I installed one in our house around June time and this winter our heating oil consumption has roughly halved, I’ve a Malaysian wife who really doesn’t tolerate cold so the rooms she’s using have to be toasty.

It was expensive, but needed to save one tank of oil to pay for itself, looks like of will do that in 1-2 yrs at this rate.

This was changing from a system with one old, wired thermostat in a totally inappropriate location (may as well have replaced it with a switch).

Having parts of the house heated only when needed seems to make a big difference (upstairs off all day, downstairs off at night. Kids room heated at night when they’re in bed or for their midday nap. Spare room always off except when being used. Head out for day at weekend, knock heating off and switch it back on again from mobile before heading back home again etc etc…

TRVs are battery powered, 2yr life apparently.

Edit – just saw the 34 radiator comment, some zoning valves will be more economical than 34 trvs !

ChrisE
    Free Member

The house is all up and running so individual TRVs are the way I need to do it. I can prob get them at trade so even 32 TRVs should be <£1k. Some rooms have 3 rads in so maybe I can group them into rooms (will be 2 lounges, dining, kitchen, hall 1, WC, stairs1, beds 1-6, bath 1, office, linen, hallway 2, main ent, bath 2, laundry, cloakroom, workshop) so guess about 20 to 24 rooms.

C

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Network enabled heating’ is closed to new replies.