Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • network area storage – should I bother?
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

Need/want an external hard-drive and have been toying with getting one I can plug into my router so I can share with both laptop and PC easily. Anyone had one for a home network? Worth it?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Mine works well. Dunno if I use at much as I thought that I would though

stilltortoise
    Free Member

That’s what bothers me. Really it’s for storing “home” data – movies, music etc – but also backing up work data from my laptop. Truth is my home PC is always on when I’m working from home on my laptop so should I just install the drive on the home PC and share it? Is FTP access anything you use on your NAS?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

My mate had to set mine up over remote access, So you’ve lost me there. I do know that Aldi had a 1TB usb one in for £70 though

coffeeking
    Free Member

NAS is just the same as a PC with a drive shared, not much point unless you want to run other stuff on the machine itself (like media streaming), if you’re going to have the PC and laptop on at the same time.

Stoner
    Free Member

Ive been running a NAS for a while, but to be honest dont really need it. I never use ftp and I could equally share the drive with Mrs S laptop just using our OS.

Im going to tidy it all up when I next upgrade and get rid of it. Just have 3 or 4 drives in the desktop.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Yeah I like the look of the Aldi one. I keep thinking having a NAS is a step better, but I guess the reality is that I wouldn’t use the ftp access very much if at all and if I really need to access it via my laptop – with the PC off – I could just plug a normal hard drive direct into the laptop.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘network area storage – should I bother?’ is closed to new replies.