Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Netherlands ahead of the game (solar cycle path)
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

World’s first solar cycle path installed

I’m sure someone here can inform us as to why it’s a terrible idea, but I’m staying optimistic!

Lazy link to a video interview of a couple who developed this (or something much the same)

winston
    Free Member

Best comment ever

Ayaz Malik • 11 hours ago

Lets see,, i like the idea but.. if this is installed everywhere, the earth won’t be able to absorb heat from sun… guess what will happen after a few decades?

JulianA
    Free Member

Let’s hope it works out – I’m not a fan of solar panels all over roofs but in the pavement or the road would be fine.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Lets see,, i like the idea but.. if this is installed everywhere, the earth won’t be able to absorb heat from sun… guess what will happen after a few decades?

I missed the thread? Bah

midlifecrashes

The cycle path from York to Selby has a solar system on it, it’s been open for years too.

maxtorque

Sorry, but it’s a ridiculous idea.

For any given investment, you want the highest energy return possible (ie, the most electricity generated per £ spent) Unfortunately, as roads are dirty and don’t point at the sun for much of the day, especially away from the equator, it will always be better to put solar panels on sloping (and much cleaner, less maintenance intensive) roofs. Stupid idea, only done because the government has money to waste….

footflaps

Stupid idea,

You should read the article first. It’s a feasibility study i.e. looking into how well it actually works rather than how well you might expect it to work and they’ve already addressed a few of your criticisms in the design:

The path has been installed on a slight tilt which is designed to help rain wash off dirt and hence keep it as clean as possible, which will help maximize the amount of sunlight that can reach the solar cells.

pitduck
    Free Member

see thunderfoots take down on U tube

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

For any given investment, you want the highest energy return possible

Interesting. Can you think of any situation where this would not be desirable?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

see thunderfoots take down on U tube

Thnks for that, seems like it’s done and dusted. I used to somewhat enjoy his takedowns of Creationist ‘science’ , and he doesn’t disappoint here. But that affected (highly punch-able) voice makes my teeth grind, caught myself towards the end. What is he doing? Hard to describe, maybe that Harry Enfield snorting teen character channeling a Bertie Wooster (whilst trying desperately to sound ‘US cool’)? Gah! Leave that tone to the Bill O. Reillys of the world, I beg you Mr Thunderfoot, it hurts my teeth.

Anyhoo, seems the Netherlands are now behind the game, at least regarding this debunked concept.

tonyg2003

This is the American take on this Solar Freakin Roadways

TheBrick
    Free Member

The idea does not stack up. The NL one if more realistic on the output but the American one is pie in the sky.

This guy, Dave from the EEV blog runs rough some good ball park figures as to why it is not feasible.

Pie in the sky American
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obS6TUVSZds[/video]

NL
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOZBrHqTJk4[/video]

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Netherlands ahead of the game (solar cycle path)’ is closed to new replies.