Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • netgear wireless network setup question
  • firestarter
    Free Member

hi ive a netgear wireless box plugged into my ntl box and it gives me wireless round the house. ive just got a new phone which will work from the same box when home but the phone is asking for some kind of keycode to log on .

ive gone into my settings but all i can see is a password of stars . so its got one but how do i find out what it is (its prob one i did myself when set it up but dunno) or it might be something different that i have to allow my phone to connect.

im stumped any clues . thanks

scaredypants

tried “admin” ?

crazy-legs

On mine (just set up!) there’s a box you can tick on the computer which says “show characters”, click on that and it converts all the stars into letters/numbers. I’ve copied that down elsewhere for reference cos it’s an absolute certainty I’ll never be able to find it again if I need it!

firestarter
    Free Member

wpa share key its asking for

will give admin a try ive tried the show characters but it dont worky ;-( its prob written on a box someplace (bins a likely place lol)

scaredypants

oh, right. Well I guess you could reset it & do a new wpa code for all your network (might have to set-up again using a cable from the pc?)

scaredypants

(admin would be a login password, not WPA code)

you could try copying & pasting the “blobs” into wordpad – might show the characters but I doubt it

Shakey
    Free Member

If you didn’t write down the code then you will need to enter a new code.

All you need to do is type it in on the Wireless Security screen and save/apply. You can then use the new code on your telephone.

crazy-legs – the ‘show characters’ tick box is only available when you are entering the code for the first time. When you have saved/applied the code this box will disappear.

PikeBN14
    Free Member

I’ve found apps online before that you can paste the ****’s into and they give you the translation 😉

firestarter
    Free Member

i tried typing something in and show characters and now its gone lol im no longer wireless boo hoo

geoffj

The default WPA code (if it has one, some don’t) will be on a sticker on the router (maybe on the bottom) or in the manual.

tinribz
    Free Member

Just go in to the admin and reset it to what you want

http://192.168.0.1/start.htm – login admin pass 1234, or check here

>wireless settings

WPA-PSK Security Encryption
    Network Key (8 ~ 63 characters)

grumm
    Free Member

My netgear router setup screen show me the wpa password without the blobs, its only the ISP password which is hidden.

Its in the wireless settings section of the setup screen.

firestarter
    Free Member

its all gone pete tong ive reset it and now nowt works if you run the cables thru the box . bugger . aaahhhh

NZCol

Theres a tool somewhere you can run to dump your WPA keys to a txt file when you forget them – do a google for it. V handy.

firestarter
    Free Member

lots of throwing things , teddys plates and tempers im now back online wireless , now im gonna turn off the computer and see if it reconnects . what a pain for nowt this really has been ;-( least im working again now so far lol

firestarter
    Free Member

yey im good to go 😉 now to sort out this bloody phone again 😉

takisawa2

If you still get no luck there’s some really helpful people over on cableforum.co.uk

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘netgear wireless network setup question’ is closed to new replies.