• This topic has 20 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by P-Jay.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Netflix ultra HD
  • jon1973
    Free Member

Anyone use the Premium package? Iis there a enough decent 4k content there to warrant the extra money?

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’d be interested to know from anyone who does use it what sort of bandwidth they need to stream 4K

jon1973
    Free Member

Supposedly you need reliable 30mb minimum according to their website.

Drac

I’d say no as there’s nothing to warrant a Netflix subscription at all.

rs
    Free Member

I have it with a sony 4k tv, its good, but the tv does a pretty great job with regular HD content, that the difference isn’t massive, i’m happy paying the few $$ more to know i’m getting the best out of the tv. It doesn’t blow my mind like some of the youtube 4k stuff though.

hammerite
    Free Member

I signed up to Amazon Prime as with a Sony 4K smart TV it seemed to make sense. Agree with Rs’ conclusion that whilst the 4K content is good quality it doesn’t seem as good quality as the stuff you can watch on YouTube.

shindiggy
    Free Member

Wait for 4k bluray, the bit rate on the 4k Netflix isn’t high enough to do 4k justice.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator
    I’d say no as there’s nothing to warrant a Netflix subscription at all.

Depends what you like and how much you want to do the right thing re getting content.

I’d say House of Cards, Daredeveil, Jessica Jones and a few more are a good start, Narco’s is looking decent.
    I’m paying for the HD version via Chromecast to a 1080p TV quality is sharp and good, the bandwidth usage for HD is quoted as 3Gb/Hr and for UltraHD it’s 7Gb/Hr so really depends on your package.
    You can pay for a month then swap out so give it a go if you want and then drop down to HD if it’s not all that. You can also set it to play based on your connection (auto mode) or aim/limit to SD/HD/etc so you can try it out and see what you think

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Hey Mike…. Dunno about you but I’m still waiting for NBN. This talk of “streaming” and “HD” content… Not a scooby mate. No clue what they’re on about.

Streaming / buffering SD content (means choosing something to watch, pressing pause and waiting for it to “download a bit” makes more sense to me.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hey Mike…. Dunno about you but I’m still waiting for NBN. This talk of “streaming” and “HD” content… Not a scooby mate. No clue what they’re on about.

It’s running damm slow here today 😉 We should be up at the 100Mb package here at work. Welcome to the Digital Future that is Tassie. My Boss in Fitzroy North is struggling along with about 4mb. I remember being down there and not really being fussed about streaming but these days it’s great. We did have the great internet slow week of 2016 when the cut the cord to Tassie but we are recovering now. Still wouldn’t bother with 4k myself

rone

Yes, the content is great even for 4K – As mentioned, plus Better Call Saul which looks fantastic and shot in 6K with a glorious eye for detail and colour.

Don’t forget you get a few extra screens for synchronous viewing (4 IIRC) – so share between family?

I think Netflix is the best thing to happen to TV – we find something every night. 4K is the future and Netflix have a remit of all new material being shot in it.

But yeah you need a decent fibre connection and a good display system.

The people who decry it probably just watch Top Gear reruns et.

With Bordelessinternet you can still get worldwide access too.

French drama Marseille starts this week with Bloodline and Narcos not far behind I think it’s a bargain.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If your looking worldwide Narcos is out already (in Oz at least) though not the best knackered Sunday night viewing unless your fluent in Spanish – plenty of reading to be done

Drac

Narcos isn’t bad seen it last year. 😀

Sundayjumper

You wouldn’t say that at 06:30 on a Sunday morning when a 2 year old is demanding to sit in bed with you and watch Peppa Pig.

In that situation, Netflix is FG.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Yes, the content is great even for 4K – As mentioned, plus Better Call Saul which looks fantastic and shot in 6K with a glorious eye for detail and colour.

anything shot on the Arri Alexa (2k) now has the option to be remastered from raw/pro-res to 4k with good results as the footage was such high quality already. so i expect to see a fair bit of recent programming/films to be delivered in 4k.
    i’m not in any hurry to go 4k for home viewing mainly due to bandwidth and compression issues. i has been looking at a lot of 4k content on vimeo as i’m getting more involved with moving image for work and while it can look great so can good quality HD if everything in the pipeline from shooting to delivery is taken care of.
    adverts are still delivered in SD and while there is a big push for it 4k is just the next thing for manufacturers to sell after 3D which failed to captivate buyers. and my 50mb connection struggles to stream 4k

one thing 4k is good at is delivering in HD, the extra information really helps. so i’m still in the shoot in 4k but deliver in HD camp.
    last night i watched Baraka on netflix, it was shot on 70mm film and then scanned at 6k. it looked amazing in HD on a decent sony TV that hasn’t had all the colour/sat/contrast turned up to max like they do in the shops.

until broadband/cable can stream without having to result to severe compression and all the artefacts that go with it 4k will remain a niche product.

rone

anything shot on the Arri Alexa (2k) now has the option to be remastered from raw/pro-res to 4k with good results as the footage was such high quality already. so i expect to see a fair bit of recent programming/films to be delivered in 4k.

That’s interesting as unless it’s changed Netflix Originals still specify a 4K camera wide sensor.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8n6V0zY9aAlQ1NVaGRwZG5hb28/view

Not that the Alexa is lacking the picture quality department etc.

Anyway, I’m Red biased as we own a RED Dragon and EPIC both capable of 5K +

deadkenny
    Free Member

What size TVs are people using to appreciate 4K? Or are you just sitting very close? 😉

Amazon’s Fire TV box (not the stick) does 4K and supposedly pre-buffers so shouldn’t get choppy videos. Reviews seem favourable, but generally a lot say you’re hard pushed to really be bothered by the difference between 1080p and 4K unless it’s a TV taking up the entire wall, plus content is severely lacking.

I’m still finding 1080p hit and miss with older material, and my upscaling DVD player does a surprisingly good job from SD.

grum
    Free Member

What size TVs are people using to appreciate 4K? Or are you just sitting very close?

until broadband/cable can stream without having to result to severe compression and all the artefacts that go with it 4k will remain a niche product.

Indeed. I’m far from a luddite but 4k is the 650b of the visual world. I can understand the benefits of shooting in it but for viewing, meh.

I have a friend who works in the biz of installing satellite TV etc and he says there is very little take-up of 4K despite a massive advertising push.

shermer75
    Free Member

Yeah but does it have NICAM Digital Stereo?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Amazon’s Fire TV box (not the stick) does 4K and supposedly pre-buffers so shouldn’t get choppy videos.

I have that box and I find normal HD videos from Amazon to be a bit jerky. Netflix seems OK though, even through the same box. Bit more of a play with it and then I am going to hit up Amazon support and push for a refund on the box.

P-Jay
    Free Member

deadkenny – Member

What size TVs are people using to appreciate 4K? Or are you just sitting very close?

Amazon’s Fire TV box (not the stick) does 4K and supposedly pre-buffers so shouldn’t get choppy videos. Reviews seem favourable, but generally a lot say you’re hard pushed to really be bothered by the difference between 1080p and 4K unless it’s a TV taking up the entire wall, plus content is severely lacking.

I’m still finding 1080p hit and miss with older material, and my upscaling DVD player does a surprisingly good job from SD.

Slightly on that topic I’ve been looking into it and there are some hardware limitations too – if you have a smart TV, you need the ‘right’ smart TV as not all of them have Netflixs Apps and not all Netflix apps can actually make use of 4K.

If you want to use a ‘box’ – which my chosen method that’s fraught with peril too – It seems, and I really don’t understand it well enough to claim this as fact, but most, if not all “4k ready” TVs only have HDMI as their highest input – and most ‘boxes’ (Cromecast, Firesticks, Apple TV etc) only use HDMI outputs, but you can’t squeeze “full” 4k through HDMI – you need HDMI2 or Display Port to do that, and very few smart TVs, even the posh ones have them. Which sort of kills the idea of proper 4K, even from an, as yet uninvented, physical media format – and “broadcast quality” 4k is only really as nice to watch as “proper 1080p” from say a Bluray player.

As anyone who really understand AV can tell from my rambling post, I don’t really understand it fully – but I know enough to know snake oil when I smell it.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Netflix ultra HD’ is closed to new replies.