• This topic has 59 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by rone.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Netflix or Amazon or Don't bother
  • JohnClimber
    Free Member

Looking at Netflix or maybe Amazon Prime for streaming movies and TV.
    But just had a look on what’s available and their looks to be rental charges that are extra on top of your subscription.

Is this right. Once you’ve bought in to either one what’s “free”?
    Which is best?

Are they worth the money and what’s the newest movies and TV shows on each one please?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Netflix – Pay a monthly fee that is it
    Amazon – Pay a monthly fee for what is available for that and then there are top ups

Sign up for a month see if you like it and cancel if you don’t I have alternated between the 2

BoardinBob

£7.99 a month for Netflix. No other charges, everything viewable

I had Prime on a demo, and from memory there was a lot of stuff you could “rent” over and above the free stuff and the associated cost for that

jimjam
    Free Member

I don’t recall seeing any additional fees in Netflix, which is superior to prime (imo).

IHN

Netflix has fewer ‘big’ films, the tend to concentrate on their own-made stuff (much of which is very good)

FWIW, a mix of Netflix for TV and lucky-dip films and one-off rental of new/big films from Google Play works for us.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Netflix all the way, they are the next thing in TV and Video, they’re now making their own big budget films and commissioning great TV series. What they’re not very good at is showing big films, they’ve got a few but it’s not really their thing. You pay a monthly sub based on number of screens you want to watch in on at once, plus 4K if you want it – but it’s ‘all you can eat’ after that.

Prime has more big films, still not exactly massive though and they have some good series like ‘Man in the High Castle’ and ‘The Grand Tour’ if you like old Top Gear. Prime is also ‘all you can eat’ but it also integrates into their video hire product so you will be given the option to rent newer films.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I have both and swap back and forth. If I could only have one it would be amazon.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Depends how much you watch TV. I had Netflix and it is good but then tried Amazon due to the other benefits but am disappointed. I’m watching all the classic ’80’s and early ’90 movies with my kids at the moment and tried to watch the original Karate Kid on Amazon Prime and was horrified to see that they wanted £3.50 to rent it. It’s a 30-odd year old movie! I would have thought they would have charged for the newer and more recent movies and let you watch older movies for free. So I would not recommend Amazon just for the telly.

The music service is good though, especially if you have Alexa.

molgrips
    Free Member

Amazon Video is pay to rent or buy. Amazon Prime gives you a load of the video content for free. You can still pay for stuff on top of Prime if you want. Usually big movies or TV shows that cost extra.

Both available as free trials afaik. We have both. When we finish binge watching the stuff on one, we binge watch on the other one and when we’re done with that something else has been released on the other.

the original Karate Kid on Amazon Prime and was horrified to see that they wanted £3.50 to rent it.

Yeah some old classics are still paid, but the reason you want to watch it is that it’s still a big movie and so they charge. At worst it’s like a video rental shop.

5thElefant
    Free Member

When we finish binge watching the stuff on one, we binge watch on the other one and when we’re done with that something else has been released on the other.

That. I don’t think one will replace TV, but both together can.

If you order stuff from Amazon you can opt for 3-5 day delivery and get a £1 credit against rentals/purchases.

jekkyl

Netflix is better imo.
    We have both currently but I’m getting rid of prime. I do not want to see any content that I have to pay for and there is no way to view only the included content and this annoys me immensely. Also the UI is awful.

Poopscoop

I’m not condoning it, but if you have ever experienced Kodi it makes them both seem feeble.

I’m not condoning it though. Kodi itself is legal obviously, just not some of its uses.

Kodi isn’t as under the radar as it used to be either.

Drac

Netflix is very good these days far better it once was, Prime is pretty good and they do rentals yes but they’re newer films usually, they often have offer where you can rent for £1.99

Like mentioned you can get Prime free for 30 days.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Poopscoop – Member
    I’m not condoning it, but if you have ever experienced Kodi it makes them both seem feeble.

You mean using Kodi as a way to host a piracy platform? Just to be clear it’s Piracy.

darrell
    Free Member

I have Netflix for the kiddie

Its full of kiddie stuff really worth the cost. Me and the missus have never actually watched anything for ourselves. But we will sometime. But just for the kiddie its worth the cost

jimjam
    Free Member

Poopscoop – Member

I would have to disagree. Utterly shit interface and horrible navigation combined with completely variable quality and the fact the content is available on streaming sites all over the web – Kodi makes Netflix 4k look amazing.

kerley
    Free Member

With Prime you get free next day delivery on items purchased via Amazon and also get Amazon music so much more to it than Netflix if you use them.

Kryton57

If your wife orders a gazillion parcels a month, then £75 a year for Amazon Prime is the way to go.

So I’ve heard.

Poopscoop

jimjam – Member
    Poopscoop – Member

I would have to disagree. Utterly shit interface and horrible navigation combined with completely variable quality and the fact the content is available on streaming sites all over the web – Kodi makes Netflix 4k look amazing.

Aside from the user interface I couldn’t disagree more.

I’m not going into it further though as I’m guessing the mods would quiet rightly not like it discussed at length.

trail_rat
    Free Member

got prime – by accident.

its shit. wouldnt bother again .Good for parcels shit for TV

its only positive is that it slips under the works streaming radar (i live on base) so i can watch the grand tour and stuff here.

netflix is picked up by the servers and you dont want to get caught using a VPN .

parents have a kodi box from a man down the pub. its a propper pile of pish. half the content comes up with not availible and what does come up varys from watchable quality to waiting for someone in front of the cinema to get up and go for a piss…. ok my parents probably dont update it as much as it needs but seems like a propper pain in the arse.

jimjam
    Free Member

@poopscoop

It has been discussed at length many times before and I’ve argued “pro kodi” at least in principal. Laughable to suggest it shouldn’t be discussed as it’s common knowledge.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Laughable to suggest it shouldn’t be discussed as it’s common knowledge.

Forum rules no piracy promotion

the-muffin-man

Unlimited photo back-up with Prime too. I have the app on my phone and it backs-up in the background. I have Prime because of the other features, not the TV side.

I watch more things on Netflix though.

Poopscoop

jimjam – Member

@poopscoop

It has been discussed at length many times before and I’ve argued “pro kodi” at least in principal. Laughable to suggest it shouldn’t be discussed as it’s common knowledge.

Not laughable, many forums won’t let you discuss such things, even Usenets “darker” side.

I’ve never read a thread on the explicit uses of kodi on here so simply assumed it better not to go into detail.

I can’t see STW wanting to be a forum for what is an illegal use of Kodi…?

Either way, the op can Google it if he so wishes.

EDIT: Just read cougars post.

leffeboy

Is the other problem it’s prime not that you can’t chomecast with it which makes it slightly more difficult to watch on a big screen unless you have a pc connected to it

the-muffin-man

Just get a Fire TV stick then – much easier than trailing a cable from a PC.

And you can use Netflix on the Fire TV stick too.

jimjam
    Free Member

Poopscoop – Member

Not laughable, many forums won’t let you discuss such things, even Usenets “darker” side.

No it is utterly laughable.

I’ve never read a thread on the explicit uses of kodi on here so simply assumed it better not to go into detail.

There are 23 threads started in the last two years with “kodi” in the title. The term kodi returns 5 pages of threads.

I can’t see STW wanting to be a forum for what is an illegal use of Kodi…?

It’s not, and discussing it doesn’t make it so. Discussing speeding or tax evasion doesn’t make people speed or evade tax.

EDIT: BTW I don’t have Kodi, because it’s balls 😆

Poopscoop

Anyway,

I’ve had both, Netflix and prime.

Prime is better for movies, though many cost extra.

Netflix is better for tv.

These boundaries are becoming increasingly blurred though.

Reality is that both are like Cadbury Roses if you watch a lot of movies or series.

After a while you have eaten what you really like and are left with the dregs at the bottom of the tin that no one really likes…and new content arrives at a pretty show trickle.

If you have pretty eclectic tastes and watch more or less anything then it isn’t so bad.

Poopscoop

ninja

No it is utterly laughable.

I can’t see STW wanting to be a forum

Carry on and discuss it then mate, I’ll take cougars pretty plain statement of STW policy to be honest though.

I didn’t day Kodi was illegal, it can be used in an illegal manner…

Don’t know what else to say?

Drac

Is the other problem it’s prime not that you can’t chomecast with it which makes it slightly more difficult to watch on a big screen unless you have a pc connected to it

It’s not difficult in the slightest you can use smart tv or a fire stick.

newrobdob
    Free Member

I got really annoyed with Prime as it isn’t really obvious when you click on a film that you have to pay extra for it. It always seemed like the ones I wanted to watch all had to be paid extra for, could never find anything free to watch!

jimjam
    Free Member

Poopscoop – Member

But there are plenty of pay to rent movie services, like youtube and google play which offer new/major films to watch without having to pay a monthly subscription fee. I wonder if there’s a site or database showing what’s available where and any overlaps.

Carry on and discuss it then mate, I’ll take cougars pretty plain statement of STW policy to be honest though.

I’m pretty sure Cougar has been involved in plenty of the discussions, just as a poster not moderating.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Thanks all. Gotta love this forum.

So it looks like it’s Netflix for us.
    But what’s the latest movies on there please?
    Is say Rogue One available?
    What’s the latest movie on there today?
    As for TV are things like all of the series’s of Elementary on there?

mikewsmith
    Free Member
    the-muffin-man

JohnClimber – I use JustWatch to see what platform a film is on…

https://www.justwatch.com/uk

Rogue One is on NowTV! 😀

Poopscoop

jimjam – Member
    Poopscoop – Member

But there are plenty of pay to rent movie services, like youtube and google play which offer new/major films to watch without having to pay a monthly subscription fee. I wonder if there’s a site or database showing what’s available where and any overlaps.

I’m pretty sure Cougar has been involved in plenty of the discussions, just as a poster not moderating.

It’s getting a little boring now…

I don’t use prime for movies, many don’t. I use it for next day delivery.

Sorry OP, didn’t intend for this to go so off course.

I’ll leave jimjam to discuss things with cougar if he wants. 🙂

P-Jay
    Free Member

NowTV is a great substitute for Sky/Virgin. I wouldn’t pay what they want for movies or sport though.

Drac

I’ve got NowTV on trial for a month, so far it’s pretty good but not sure I’ll continue.

martinhutch

Just cancelled my Prime after a couple of months of Christmas parcels. Found virtually nothing I wanted to watch on it, TBH.

jimjam
    Free Member

JohnClimber – Member

Thanks all. Gotta love this forum.

So it looks like it’s Netflix for us.
    But what’s the latest movies on there please?
    Is say Rogue One available?
    What’s the latest movie on there today?
    As for TV are things like all of the series’s of Elementary on there?

Rogue One isn’t available on Netflix yet but as I said back there it’s available on non subscription platforms that you probably already have accounts for like youtube, google play, itunes etc.

Netflix is ok for movies but it’s the series / box set stuff where it really shines. Prime is only worth having if you order a lot of shopping from amazon. The tv, video and music services feel like a bolted on afterthought to incentivise people to upgrade their account whereas Netflix feels like a proper broadcaster/content creator.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Netflix or Amazon or Don't bother’ is closed to new replies.