Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Netflix, LoveFilm etc etc – which one?
  • daveb
    Free Member

Hi

I currently pay about £8 per month for Lovefilm and get a few discs per month and unlimited streaming but think the films for streaming are a bit limited. I am not that bothered about getting the discs anymore and wondered if Netflix or another service might be better and offer more variety and up to date movies.

Any suggestions? (I dont mind paying more if required)

Thanks

transapp
    Free Member

I found Netflix very limited. Ok for some tv shows, but movies were very poor and very little new stuff added. Trying a free month of love film, not sure it’s worth paying for…

crazy-legs

I’m paying Netflix £6/month (mostly cos I didn’t cancel after my first free month) and it’s OK. Very limited on new stuff. Good for TV shows. It’s almost worth having it there anyway just in case you *need* a film or show at short notice.

Provided that film or show is about 5years old…

😉

daveb
    Free Member

Has anyone tried the SKY thing that is being advertised? Films more up to date on that?

samuri
    Free Member

We’ve been using lovefilm for the 30 day trial. I was initially quite impressed but I can see us quickly running out of stuff to watch. They don’t seem to add very many new ones.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Netflix and LF streaming catalogue is v.similar.

The extra for the hardcopy service is worth the extra imo.

binners

WHy aren’t you bothered about the discs? That makes no sense at all! Netflix or Lovefilm streaming are both pretty limited, not really having the latest stuff.

The discs aren’t limited at all. Remember, you can get TV series as well as film. And you can reserve new films so that you get them as soon as they’re released on Blu Ray.

Basically, you’re already paying for the best service. Use it!

We absolutely hammer our Love Film subscription. Get the Love film app on your phone, and as soon as anyone mentions an interesting film, shove it straight on your list. You’ll have it within 2 days!

grantway
    Free Member

I have a few vouchers for BlinkBox supported by Tesco
    BlinkBox

Unsure not used

geoffj

I thought netflix was a bit rubbish – might have a look at love film, but using the Jesus TV to rent films from Apple is working out best at the moment.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/netflix-is-it-as-poor-as-it-seems

grantway
    Free Member

geoffj What is Jesus TV ?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Im with geoff on that . 4-5 quid to rent a single recent release or 99p up for older stuff. . Also means i dont spend my time watching garbage truck stop moviez like one of my mates who has netflix and loves to talk about american tv shows such as lost and csi and other such programs from the stone age.

tmb467
    Free Member

If you can stretch to an extra 5 a month for a VPN you can access the US version of Netflix which is loads better

VPN plus proxy setting change shown here

Netflix outside US

mafiafish
    Free Member

SKYNow is naff, no HD and few decent films.

geoffj

grantway – Member
    geoffj What is Jesus TV ?
    POSTED 37 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Apple TV

grantway
    Free Member

LOL ok geoffj is it worth it
    Is the reply quality good

patriotpro
    Free Member

Shameless hijack alert – Is Blinkbox any good?

shteve
    Free Member

does anyone know of any service that allows you to download movies to say, an iPad/laptop to watch offline? Most of the providers either send you a disc or let you stream so far.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Netflix is crap. Nothing decent at all. I won’t be carrying on with it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Shtve – itunes has that covered….

ask1974
    Free Member

Shteve, from a legal service no chance, that is essentially copying and against the law. As far as I can see the UK has pretty limited streaming services and LoveFilms DVD service is the best. Of course over the pond they have Vudu which is superb… Lets hope we get it over here sometime soon. UltraViolet is a very good idea too and is linked with Vudu.

Seems we have to wait as usual.

Talking Sky. There movies may be a little limited like the others but the implementation of catch up is fantastic. Just 4OD to add to complete the line up but as a Sky subscriber that’s the best addition to the service for a while.

EDIT : if iTunes allows you to rent and download to iPad it’s a feature I’ve missed. So one possible solution.

ask1974
    Free Member

Seems so. Useful…

If you download a rented movie on your computer: You can transfer it to a device such as your Apple TV (1st generation), iPhone, iPad, or iPod if it’s a standard-definition film (movies in HD can only be watched on your computer, iPad, iPhone 4 or later, iPod touch (4th generation or later), or Apple TV). Once you move the movie from your computer to a device, the movie will disappear from your computer’s iTunes library. You can move the movie between devices as many times as you wish during the rental period, but the movie can only exist on one device at a time.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I rented trollhunter recently and watched it on a plane

You have 28 days to start watching it from when you “rent it”

Then you have 24 hours from when you start it to watch it all.

walleater

We are using Tunnelbear in conjunction with NF in Canada, so can watch Canadian, British and USA Netflix. There’s no shortage of dross on all of them but for 5 bucks a month for Tunnelbear it makes more sense.

http://www.tunnelbear.com/

mlucas666
    Free Member

We are using Tunnelbear in conjunction with NF in Canada, so can watch Canadian, British and USA Netflix. There’s no shortage of dross on all of them but for 5 bucks a month for Tunnelbear it makes more sense.

http://www.tunnelbear.com/

Never heard about Tunnelbear before – just testing it now and it seems really good so far.

Just signed up for Netflix US, I’m really surprised at how much better it is over the UK version for choice.

ampthill

We use Apply tv. It just about has enough new stuff to keep us in film.

its £100 for the box. But crucially no subscription

renting isn’t cheap £4.50 for Hd a pound of for sd

We can’t drive to a rental shop easily and were starting to but too many DVDs. So it works for us

daveb
    Free Member

ok, thanks for all that

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Netflix, LoveFilm etc etc – which one?’ is closed to new replies.