Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • netflix – is it possible to do this……?
  • sadexpunk

thinking of trialling it for a month, mainly to watch the whole of breaking bad.

question is….. with my account, could we be watching it at home, and my son be watching something else at the same time elsewhere using my login details?

thanks

wiggles
    Free Member

Yes, up to 3 devices at the same time IIRC

phinbob

I’m not sure how the UK version works but in the US I get 2 screens at the same time.

I can upgrade to 4 screens, for an increased subscription.

sadexpunk

thanks. and can defo watch something completely different at the same time yep? doesnt mean 3 different devices all watching the same thing?

thanks

jonahtonto
    Free Member

yes three devices, all completely separate, but what each device is watching will be advertised on your facebook page while the free trial is running….which can be embarrassing

sadexpunk

yeah? you have to have it linked to facebook???

wiggles
    Free Member

jonah tonto – Member
    yes three devices, all completely separate, but what each device is watching will be advertised on your facebook page while the free trial is running….which can be embarrassing

This?

eyerideit
    Free Member

I’ve borrowed my brothers account but not sure if we were watching at the same time.

wiggles
    Free Member

My bro-in-law is too cheap to pay for it and just continuously cancels the trials and sets up new email addresses for a new trial period…

WillH

I recently signed up the US Netflix (via hola, as I live in NZ – and also primarily for Breaking Bad (late to the party, yeah I know) but we watch loads of stuff on it). I think I picked the ‘one screen’ option, as it’s unlikely that me and the mrs will want to watch two things simultaneously. But there were options for up to 4 screens IIRC, cost was about US$1 per month per screen extra, or something. Not sure if you can upgrade and down-grade at will, though.

And none of what we watch goes on Facebook. My Facebook details were never entered, I think you could opt to sign up for Netflix via your Facebook login – which would probably default to it reporting what you watch, unless you adjust your security settings – I just set up a new, unlinked Netflix account from scratch.

sadexpunk

ok thanks, no harm in trying it. i spose if it insists on facebook details at any point i could just stop the registration process.

thanks 🙂

MrNero50
    Free Member

I registered on my laptop, cannot remember if I was asked for my Facebook log in. I know it did on the iPad, but I just logged in normally with my email and password I had set up.

As for watching on multiple devices I’m sure you can as my TV and iPad, show different things recently watched when I go to Netfix.

WackoAK
    Free Member

you have to have it linked to facebook???

Not at all, it appears initially that the only way to sign up is via a facebook account but there is an option to sign up the regular way using your email address instead of facebook details.

allthepies
    Free Member

Yeah, just don’t link it to your Facebook acct.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I don’t recall linking it to facebook

peterfile
    Free Member

change your DNS settings to trick Netflix into thinking you’re in the US. 30 second job and the content is MUCH better.

sadexpunk

wouldnt know how to change settings 🙂

ive just registered now, so would it be too late anyway? and in what way is the content better? im not a big fan of US tv (altho i signed up for breaking bad) and quite like the thought of watching some of the old english series such as luther.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

wouldnt know how to change settings

ive just registered now, so would it be too late anyway?

Nope, you can do this any time. A quick Google would show you what to do. I wouldn’t say the content is better necessarily, but certainly different. We have our apple TV set to get the US version while our Xbox, laptops and Virgin box all get the UK versions so we have plenty of choice.

You can choose to link to facebook either during or after signup, you’ll get recommendations based on what your fb mates are watching, which may be a good thing, may not be.

In the UK I think it’s up to 3 screens at the same time with different content, they’ve just introduced a new pricing structure for some new sign ups where you pay a bit more or less depending on how many you want.

sadexpunk

thanks, ill look into that dns thing then. would i just google ‘hide dns’ or something then?

looks like its £6 p/m for 2 different strams, £9 for 4. 2 will do us 🙂

thanks a lot

Alphabet

I joined at the weekend. Any Netflix account allows you to access local content anywhere in the world. So just change your DNS settings and you get USA content. Change it back and you get UK only. I installed Hola (free) into my Firefox browser and can switch easily.

sadexpunk

thanks. is it as simple as a mouseclick swapover?

grum
    Free Member

whatnobeer – I’ve been paying unblock us to use the US Netflix on Apple TV. Is there a free way (I know there is on web browsers)?

Canadian one is good for recent films.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Is there a free way (I know there is on web browsers)?

Yup, exactly the same process. There’s a section in the settings of your Apple TV to set the DNS, just need to change it to a US one rather than the default then restart the Apple Tv. A quick Google should find some working settings. Or I can check mine when I get home.

stayhigh

Bit of a luditte where these things are concerned but would you be able to change the dns settings on any tv? Where abouts in the menu options would it most likely come under?

grum
    Free Member

Ta. Unblock US lets you switch quite easily which I do relatively often so I might stick with it for now.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Where abouts in the menu options would it most likely come under?

There’s usually a section under network setup or network setting where you can set the DNS.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘netflix – is it possible to do this……?’ is closed to new replies.