Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Netflix help – Jittery play back on TV
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

Signed up for Netflix the other day, very happy with the content.

Playback through the laptop screen is fine.

However, when connected to a large TV with HDMI, it gives a “jittery” playback.

I googled the problem and was advised to reduce the buffering rate for Silverlight, this gave an improvement but there is still a slight “jitter.”

The laptop is HP Pavillion dv6, 1.8ghz quad core, 6 GB ram. AMD onboard graphics with 512mb ram but with 3 gb available according to Windows.

There is no option to adjust the memory used for video in the BIOS.

I would of thought the laptop is up to the job.

Any suggestions?

somouk
    Free Member

Try reducing the res on the TV and see if that helps.

Are you using the same quality of video in both applications?

gobuchul
    Free Member

I’ll drop the TV to 720p and see if that helps.

The only choice on netflix is HD on or off, not sure what the output actually is.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Chromecast, if your TV has got a USB port?

theflatboy
    Free Member

Possibly conflict between frame rate on laptop output and tv settings?

IA

Possibly conflict between frame rate on laptop output and tv settings?

Could be this, what refresh rate you driving the TV at?

gobuchul
    Free Member

Thanks for all the help gents.

Just had a look at my options in the set up.

There is no option to change the resolution or frame rate I can see in the menu. It is all auto detect from the source.

I know it shows the resolution when I change source and it shows 25fps when playing blu ray, but it’s all controlled automatically.

Any suggestions?

It’s a Panasonic Plasma.

hooli

What’s your broadband speed like? Most of my netflix problems come from poor broadband speed

DrJ

What’s your broadband speed like? Most of my netflix problems come from poor broadband speed

Mine too. What’s weird is that I constantly have problems with the WiFi connection from my TV to the router, but next to none if I use AppleTV instead.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Broadband speed is excellent. I get 40 mbs at times but generally around 25 mbs.

Wifi “N” connection and not sharing it with any other machines at the time.

Cougar

Are you driving the TV in addition to the laptop screen? If so, don’t do that.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Are you driving the TV in addition to the laptop screen? If so, don’t do that.

No, selected “Projector Only”.

IA

There is no option to change the resolution or frame rate I can see in the menu. It is all auto detect from the source.

No, I mean on the laptop – what’s the refresh rate set to?

Try setting it lower, 24/25 perhaps, or 30.

cooie

+ 1 for the Chromecast option. Works a treat 🙂

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Netflix streams in 720p, I have the same problem on my big tv. If your sharing hdmi to micro hdmi or usb it tends to suck. I’d flash back one of those smart tv £10 boxes if I could be arsed. Also watching through an xbox or ps3 will work great.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Netflix streams in 720p

no it doesn’t – it streams up to 1080P, or Super HD as they call it.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Try setting it lower, 24/25 perhaps, or 30.

Thanks IA. Dropped it to 25hz and it looks fine. Result!

jambalaya
    Free Member

In my experience (all with Apple kit) the jittery playback is always down to broadband signal. I don’t stream much anymore as a result I prefer to download first and watch later, eg iTunes rentals or BBC iPlayer.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Does setting the refresh rate lower on the laptop reduce the download needs, i.e. lower refresh means less pressure on broadband connection ?

gobuchul
    Free Member

Does setting the refresh rate lower on the laptop reduce the download needs, i.e. lower refresh means less pressure on broadband connection ?

There is no problem with my broadband speed, it’s BT Infinity and normally runs at around 25 – 30mbs.
    Dropping the frequency fixed the problem.

somouk
    Free Member

Refresh rate affects the graphics card and the way it displays images. Nothing to do with network.

theflatboy
    Free Member

I’d be surprised if there is no way at all to set the refresh rate on the TV for the input you’re using, and also surprised if 25hz is the best option all round. I would guess that your TV is on 50hz and you should be able to set the laptop output also to 50hz. Glad it’s working better, anyway.

IA

also surprised if 25hz is the best option all round. I would guess that your TV is on 50hz and you should be able to set the laptop output also to 50hz

I suggested that as most content is 24/25fps natively, so no point displaying twice the framerate (and working the graphics card twice as hard), and the tv will be designed to work well with 24/25hz input over HDMI.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Yep noted, and as I say glad it’s working. I’m still surprised, though! 🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Netflix help – Jittery play back on TV’ is closed to new replies.