Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Netflix connection keeps dropping
  • stayhigh

Evening all,

We seem to be having trouble with our Netflix connection suddenly dropping. Whenever we try to watch an episode it randomly decides to stop playing, the little buffering icon spins round to 25% where it sits for a minute before saying there is a problem; try again or more details.

If you go to More Details you can check your connection which tests the 4 servers and your Internet. If one of these fails it says you need to reconnect and the restart, which doesn’t resolve the issue, however if none of these fail and you go back to the title it still won’t play.

If you try again it just repeats the same error message over again.

After going through this process several times it decides that you have now earned the tight to continue watching your chosen show however still reserves the right to do the same thing all over again up to 3 times an episode…

We’ve tried switching off the WiFi on phones/ipad while watching which has no bearing at all and when this happens the router cheerfully informs me it’s all tickety boo.

We’re watching Netflix through a Virgin Tivo box with their super jumbo mega broadband.

The help section on Netflix doesn’t offer much past the obligatory off & on again so I’ll be emailing them in the morning.

Anyone else having/had any similar issues?

JonBoy
    Free Member

I get this from time to time on tivo and xbox one. I am however currently 200 miles from home and its done it tonight on bt youview so I guess its just something it does.

feed

Yup, occasionally get this when viewing over a 100 mb connection (so band width not an issue). Restarting the router always sorts it out.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Restarting the router always sorts it out.

ISP / line issue then. Virgin especially. Cable is notorious for hideous noise problems down the antiquated system of coax that runs the last stretch to the house. Routers/modems always used to have a habit of going into a loop trying to re-establish a signal. Often resetting would sort it out or even disconnecting the cable and reinserting. Either process seems to clear noise on the line, for a bit.

If not a line issue, then different gadget for Netflix perhaps. Not sure if any do decent buffering but one that buffered the whole show/film up front would be ideal. If you were using Amazon Prime then you can get the Fire TV stick or box and these do exactly that. Even buffers up things you might be considering watching. Fire TV also does Netflix but not sure it buffers Netflix content.

Try also Netflix on a PC and see if the same problem occurs. TiVo is a good system but not sure it has the power and memory to do the apps. Much like many Smart TVs which are very underpowered for these apps.

oldnpastit

What are you using to watch netflix? Can you use something else?

When it happens do other wifi devices also stop working?

Caher

Given trying to access with the TiVo so now just use the smart app that came with the blue ray player.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

I’m with Virgin I’ve connected my tv to a router via a cat6 patch cable. Netflix, iplayer etc now work perfectly.

DrJ

Never succeeded with my “smart” (hahaha) TV, but works fine with Apple TV.

deadkenny
    Free Member

lobby_dosser – Member
    I’m with Virgin I’ve connected my tv to a router via a cat6 patch cable. Netflix, iplayer etc now work perfectly.

In this example, the problem I guess you were having would likely be down to the WiFi in the router or whatever and/or the receiving devices, if using Ethernet cable fixes the issue.

Very common if Wireless Access Point or Wireless Router is located far away from the other device and more when they’re tucked away in the corner of the house and many walls in between.

sadmadalan

Remember that the TiVo box has its own dedicated 10 Mb pipe and does not use the broadband connection. I have thought about connecting the TV to the router, but I would need to use WiFi due to the location of the router and the TV. However we don’t seem to have any issues with Netflix at the moment so I can’t be bothered!

deadkenny
    Free Member

The pipe for TiVo via Virgin will be the cable TV feeds. Netflix would go via the broadband connection. It’s all down the same cable, just different frequencies. Virgin can have their broadband go tits up but the TV feeds still run, as they’re just a simple mass broadcast. Like over the air but the signal goes through a cable instead.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

I think my problem was more to do with the so called Smart TV rather than the source.

revs1972
    Free Member

Mine dropped completely last night midway through a film. Virgin TiVo box too.
    Couldn’t get it back so gave up and went to bed. Never had the problem before , and it wouldn’t let me access any of my apps so I’m guessing it’s a virgin problem

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Netflix connection keeps dropping’ is closed to new replies.