Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Nest cam and nest aware
  • mandog

With all these break ins being posted, thinking about security.

Anything better, cheaper than Nest?

Subscription cost seems a bit pricey.

bails

I’ve got an Arlo and am very happy with it.

footflaps

Subscription cost seems a bit pricey.

This and the subscription fee is per-camera, so it gets very expensive very quickly.

I’d go for one which records to HD, much cheaper in the long term.

mandog

Trouble with recording to a disc drive is if they nick that too.

footflaps

You can always hide it / have it remote.

Eg our workshop can access HDs in the house over the LAN etc

revs1972
    Free Member

What happens when the burglars cut the cable bringing your internet service into your home ? Do they have a 3G/4G backup so that the info can be uploaded to the cloud ?

bails

What happens when the burglars cut the cable bringing your internet service into your home

Is that a common burglary method?

revs1972
    Free Member

I don’t know as such….but if I was a burglar then it would be with military precision, and taking out communications/ cameras etc would be high up my list 😮

DT78
    Free Member

I’ve been spending a lot of time researching (house burgled in Nov, hammer through kitchen window 4pm on a Sunday….)

Market seems overpriced at the moment and no one does exactly what I want.

Blink look very good but new comers so who knows. 5 internal cam system cost 400 plus they have sirens etc coming soon. But like all of these who knows about longevity.

Nest is a fairly safe bet, but costly. A pal has just gone for a wired swann dvr system for less than 2 nest cams. Works really well, but, depends if you can easily run the wires. In my place that is a huge job.

I’m holding off a bit to see what happens. In the mean time I have the budget option. Realistic fake looking cams on the exterior and hidden budget webcams – clever dog internally.

If you go for clever dog expect to get pinged when moths attack it….

bails

Works really well, but, depends if you can easily run the wires. In my place that is a huge job.

Arlo doesn’t need any wires.

Revs1972, IME burglars aren’t the brightest folk. If you’re saying

if I was a burglar then it would be with military precision, and taking out communications/ cameras etc would be high up my list

then you’re not a burglar. And I mean that in a nice way, you’ve got the intelligence to do something productive!

Of the three burglaries I’m aware of from myself and relatives, one was a wooden door smashed/split in half to get into a garage (Arlo alerted me while at work, I phoned 999, burglar caught and pleaded guilty). Another was a patio door crowbarred open, the third was a shovel thrown through the glass panel of a back door. Cutting communications and any other clever stuff just doesn’t happen for “normal” burglaries.

DT78
    Free Member

Arlo cost a chunk more and your still left wondering what happens if they stop supporting the app. It is the current best rival to the nest though. According to the lots of reviews I’ve been reading.

Yep normally approach is smash and grab, As more of the burglars get caught because of these gadgets they will eventually change their behaviour and start targeting the wifi. It is easy enough, just need a set of pliers on most places, in with a hoody or broom handle to give the camera a crack, and off you go. Some of the newer systems coming on the market can work without wifi or power. Blink definitely says it will when released, and I think scout (us only at the mo) has that too.

I’m planning on rigging up some sort of remote net dropping device in my garage should they be dumb enough to get in, then I will have to decide to give them to the police or set the kids on them

woffle
    Free Member

poachers alarm for the lo-tech solution 🙂

revs1972
    Free Member

Revs1972, IME burglars aren’t the brightest folk.

On the contrary , some of them are pretty clever individuals. Don’t underestimate them.
    I’m not talking about your average crack head , who will smash a window and be in and out in 3-4 minutes.
    My “valuables” are well hidden in secure areas and it would take them longer than that to find them.
    They would get away with electronics etc, but nothing that can’t be replaced ( and I’m not denying the impact of knowing some scrote has been in your house can have a profound effect on you ).

No, I’m talking about the organised gangs , who can strip your garage in a short space of time, getting through what you thought were impenetrable defences. Thems the buggers who will cut your internet cables / knock out your cameras etc

GrahamS

Saw this today:
    https://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/humax-eye.html

No idea if it is any good but 7 day cloud storage with no subscriptions/fees sounds like a decent deal compared to some.

Xylene
    Free Member

Wifi or 3g/4g you say:

woffle
    Free Member

No, I’m talking about the organised gangs , who can strip your garage in a short space of time, getting through what you thought were impenetrable defences. Thems the buggers who will cut your internet cables / knock out your cameras etc

This.

We’re relatively rural and break-ins around our way tend to come in spates of either vans driving routes and banging through every garden shed on the way round, or very organised and targetted burglaries. Houses stripped methodically/specifically and then escaping via evidently well-planned routes – often cross-country. Cameras and alarms weren’t a deterrent for the latter and the former tend to be in and out in 30 seconds and grabbing whatever is closest to the door. We’ve friends who get their shed done about every 3 months, regardless of locks/alarms / CCTV etc – they don’t keep anything in it anymore. The whole street gets the same.

When we had an intruder a good few years ago the advice was to get a dog / dogs (though this won’t help if you’re not there) but there wasn’t really anything we could do to prevent someone really determined.

DT78
    Free Member

Tbh gangs like that would prob kill the dog or at least shut it out of the way.

Last line of defence is insurance really, at least with the cameras you will have solid evidence to stop any funny business with the loss adjustor, though the chap I dealt with was very good actually, only tried to screw me on a laptop. Everything else was a look on google for what the going rate was for a replacement.

It was nearly 5 months ago and I still don’t sleep properly….

woffle
    Free Member

Tbh gangs like that would prob kill the dog or at least shut it out of the way.

Some of the farms down our way have very scary dogs – I’d not like to come across them, armed or otherwise – there’s been issues with rights of way and landowners having dogs ‘loose’ to protect property.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Nest cam and nest aware’ is closed to new replies.