Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Nespresso machine. Is this a good one?
  • BadlyWiredDog

You can buy refillable Nespresso pods. I have no idea how well they work, but they do exist and presumably lessen the wastage of the standard throw-away ones, plus give you a wider choice of coffee.

You could, of course, just about buy a proper espresso maker for the price of that Nespresso thing linked to in the first post, but each to their own I guess.

nasher
    Free Member

Maybe so mr smith, but it’s still good and i drink it in Italy 🙂

You do need to come over blobby, 20 years is a long time…

mrblobby
    Free Member

The reason it’s €1 is it’s made with bulk roasted cheap robusta

And that’s your classic Italian morning punch in the face coffee that gets you going 🙂

footflaps

The waste from Nespresso and other pod machines is ridiculous, they really ought to be banned on environmental grounds.

DrJ

The waste from Nespresso and other pod machines is ridiculous, they really ought to be banned on environmental grounds.

You can send back the pods for recycling.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I don’t understand why some people get so incensed about nespresso pods which are recyclable. They don’t seem nearly so bothered about coke/beer cans.

ajantom

You can send back the pods for recycling

Yes you can, but I suspect most don’t.

I don’t understand why some people get so incensed about nespresso pods which are recyclable. They don’t seem nearly so bothered about coke/beer cans.

Because you can’t make your own (well you can make beer, but it takes a while!), and personally I recycle all cans and bottles.

convert

I believe you should take each product type on it’s merits and attempt to reduce unnecessary packaging for that product type. Where I think the Nespresso concept fails so spectacularly is the fact that the alternative methods of delivering the product to the consumer requires very little extra effort/time and are arguably better tasting. It’s the coffee equivalent of those little plastic trays of cellophane wrapped preprepared veggies you get in the supermarket, with probably a similar demographic buying them.

I appreciate it’s a marginal gains thing and there are plenty of worse thing we all do, but its avoidable and unnecessary and an easy win.

ebygomm
    Free Member

But there’s lots of packaging for foods that you could avoid if you made your own, ready meals for a start. Why single out coffee pods?

For easy wins I’d ban ready meals, foil wrapped energy gels and beer cans because I believe none of these things to be necessary 😉

footflaps

They don’t seem nearly so bothered about coke/beer cans.

Personally I think all products should pay a packaging / recycling tax based on the amount of material used and the amount actually recycled. That way disposable Bic razors and nespresso pods would be taxed out of existence. There is no need for them, they are just very wasteful ways of providing a service when they are much better ways of doing so.

Why single out coffee pods?

Probably because it’s taking wastefulness to a new level. A damming inditement on the modern consumerist society.

convert

Why single out coffee pods?

Why not?

And I don’t think it’s singling out – lots of campaigns about lots of small things which hopefully when looked at collectively might make a difference.

The difference between the pod coffee thing and ready meals is that buying a pod machine is buying into a ‘system’ – all your coffee for the foreseeable will be purchased like that. The odd ready meal is not the same. If you are living on a diet of 100% ready meals you have bigger problems imo!

For easy wins I’d ban ready meals, foil wrapped energy gels and beer cans because I believe none of these things to be necessary

And pods are?

ebygomm
    Free Member

More necessary to me than those things, yes. My weekday lodgings are away from home. I don’t have a stove so a stove top coffee maker is no use to me. Nespresso suits perfectly.

convert

More necessary to me than those things, yes

Ah, so your perspective on life is entirely self orientated. That explains it. Tory voter perchance?

The problem in society is there are too many people who can’t see beyond their own needs and wants. Like you I guess.

ajantom

More necessary to me than those things, yes. My weekday lodgings are away from home. I don’t have a stove so a stove top coffee maker is no use to me. Nespresso suits perfectly.

Kettle? Cafetière? Sorted.

ebygomm
    Free Member

No, I see my waste footprint as a collective total and using pods which I recycle is acceptable to me.

Others probably make compromises I wouldn’t, perhaps they use tampons or panty liners because the convenience is worth it to them. It doesn’t make them despicable people. Just someone who’s made different choices.

Kettle? Cafetière? Sorted.

Doesn’t produce anything remotely like an espresso

convert

No, I see my waste footprint as a collective total and using pods which I recycle is acceptable to me.

Oh, I see. So you look at your waste as collective and a little ‘indiscretion’ with coffee packaging is ok because you are overall not a bad person. But products you don’t use should be banned because you don’t trust other people to think like you?

ebygomm
    Free Member

But products you don’t use should be banned because you don’t trust other people to think like you?

No, I’m not calling for a ban on anything, just pointing out that it’s very easy to call for a ban on something you don’t personally find useful. As others here have done.

ajantom

Doesn’t produce anything remotely like an espresso

You’d be surprised. Small cafetière, proper espresso coffee grounds, and a bit of experimentation with technique can produce a very good facsimile.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Others probably make compromises I wouldn’t,

I don’t either, that’s why I use an espresso machine and grinder to make espresso 🙄
    As for ethical, forget fair trade and agribusiness bulk produced coffee. It’s all about direct trade with small producers, co-ops and community owned milling/drying/process facilities. This means way more in the pocket of the small growers and a better quality product too. Cuts out the likes of Nestle too

convert

I’m not calling for a ban on anything

really…

I’d ban ready meals, foil wrapped energy gels and beer cans

just pointing out that it’s very easy to call for a ban on something you don’t personally find useful

I drink coffee. I’m often in a rush and at work I have no stove. Why would it not be useful to me? Still chosen not to have one though.

I’d aeropress in your situation.

bruneep

You’d be surprised

Indeed I would, nae I’d be shocked it it was anything near a proper espresso.

mrblobby
    Free Member

This helping the OP? 🙂

ebygomm
    Free Member

Said in jest, hence the smiley.

convert

Said in jest, hence the smiley.

And followed up with a

More necessary to me than those things, yes.

Which to me at least said quite a lot about your perspective on life/personality.

This helping the OP?

I hope so 😉

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Nespresso machine. Is this a good one?’ is closed to new replies.