Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Nervous! Grown up school advice
  • mikey74
    Free Member

At the end of the month, at the grand ole age of 41, I am going back to Uni, part-time. I did study for an HNC about 8-9 years ago, but this is the first time I’ve been to Uni since I studied for my first degree about 20 years ago.

Any advice, humorous or not?

bomberpork2
    Free Member

getting into debt at your age is stupid

mikey74
    Free Member

OK, weird, but thanks for the valuable contribution.

Have a nice day 😀

scaredypants

getting into 21-year-olds at your age is probably difficult

mikey74
    Free Member

Nah, I look young for my age :mrgreen:

crankygirl
    Free Member

I’m just about to start my third and final year of a radiography degree, aged 40, like you I did a degree 20 ish years ago but hadn’t done proper academic study for a while. There’s loads more support available compared to 20 years ago, our library does a wide range of study skills sessions eg essay writing, revision tips etc, so I’d really recommend doing those kind of things in any areas you feel weak. Lectures these days are a revelation – we get the presentations in advance on our vle and they even record most lectures now, so it doesn’t matter if you miss a bit! Lots of support available, just take advantage of whatever they offer. What are you studying?

toys19
    Free Member

If you have less than 40 hrs contact time, which is likely, treat the whole thing as 9-5, do 8hrs a day and all your work, revision and assignments will be a piece of piss.

scaredypants

You’ll be fine, btw. Uni isn’t as hard as most make it seem – it’s just that many students have no work ethic and spend a lot of their time “growing up” (getting pissed/stoned, shagging etc).

Put a bit of effort in on a regular basis and I reckon you’ll be great. Our mature students generally do well.

mikey74
    Free Member

Cranky: It’s geology, no real endgame at the moment, just something that interests me.

By the way, to begin with, it’s not a full degree, it’s a Certificate of Higher Ed. but if I enjoy it I can turn it into a degree at pretty much any stage.

IA

As someone who’s both been at uni a lot and taught at uni a little:

Your big advantage as a mature student is you know how to do a day’s work (I assume). Don’t be tempted to let up on that, it’s an advantage so use it. You’ll probably find you can sit down and get stuff done, be more organised etc. The above 9-5 suggestion is a good one.

A “disadvantage” is that you’ll probably care more about the course, and getting the most out of it. You’ve chosen to do this, rather than just fallen into it. Lectures are actually really hard work (I find) if you actually “care” about the content, and learning it, rather than just “getting it done” – you feel you have to pay attention more! My tip here (might not work for you, different strokes etc..) is before each lecture if you can skim the topics covered, note down a handful of things you expect to find out/get answers to in the lecture. As you get into the course this might include things you missed previously and think are important. Then at the end if you don’t get the answers, ask the questions or follow up with a quick chat with the lecturer at the end. A good way I found to stay focused and be sure you’re staying on top of things.

Also if you’re nervous, this is a concrete thing you can do to act on it, remove some of the nerves by knowing you’re taking useful action!

mikey74
    Free Member

Cheers Scaredy P.

MoreCashThanDash

Scaredy & IA plus 1

Did a four year part time business degree 2001-2005, while working full time. Maturity and a half decent work ethic puts you ahead of lots of other students. Beware of any work assessed as a group exercise, groups are only as strong as the weakest link.

Don’t get married at the end of year one, don’t have a baby at the end of year two. Or be prepared to watch your grade go from a first to a Desmond, which is worthless in the current jobs market 😐

joshvegas
    Free Member

By the way, to begin with, it’s not a full degree, it’s a Certificate of Higher Ed. but if I enjoy it I can turn it into a degree at pretty much any stage.

I achieved the exact opposite of that approaching once from the degree side 😛

mikey74
    Free Member

Good advice there MCTD, I’ll bear that in mind 😆

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Nervous! Grown up school advice’ is closed to new replies.