Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Nervous about Sundays ride.
  • oldgit
    Free Member

And it’s just a 64 mile road ride. I say just, it’s a 19mph plus training ride with Cat 2 riders under half my age.
    I’m the eldest rider and for want of a better word the only one on a descendancy.
    Everyone is younger and on the up or my age but only ever wanted to to have a bimble.
    So a strange feeling not having any 50+ riders that still want to work hard around me.
    Sad.

palliative.stare
    Free Member

My ole fella is 73 and runs 30-60 miles a week, on top of walking his dogs twice per day and playing babminton 3 times a week. He is on track for his marathon a month target this year, and gives a shit about his times. There are plenty of you out there, keep up the good work.

plop_pants
    Free Member

Golf?

BadlyWiredDog

How about you look at it as a positive thing that you’re still out there tapping it our while your contemporaries are taking up knitting and stuff, you miserable old sod… Try being happy instead of sad, your brain will thank you for it and I dare say STW forum users will too 🙂

hels
    Free Member

When I was dead fit and used to train and race with the boys, the 50+ guys were the ones you really had to watch. Sinewy old buggers that knew just how to sit in and play the pack, so to speak. Sit on the back and wait for the young chaps to blow to shreds after 30 mins.

iamconfusedagain
    Free Member

Don’t worry, hang on their wheels for a bit until they get tired.
    My best open tt this year I was happy with third place and a power pb- I was beaten by 20 secs by someone about 20 years older than me and I only beat a 67 year old by 3 seconds!!

Edit: I see I was beaten to it while I drank my tea.

smell_it
    Free Member

Is it being so happy that keeps you going? I’d be chuffed to bits in your shoes.

hora
    Free Member

+1,000,000

oldgit
    Free Member

I’m happy that I come across as miserable. That’s one of life’s goals achieved then :-).

RealMan
    Free Member

One of my favourite clubs has a couple of old blokes that sit on the back like the entire ride arguing animatedly about what cassette Armstrong used to win the tour in ’03. Or something.

Now and then they roll to the front, and you see a hand go on a shoulder, and words being exchanged. You don’t want to be caught half wheeling or going too hard on a climb it appears.

Woody
    Free Member

Youngsters confusing ‘nervous’ with ‘miserable’ 🙄

the 50+ guys were the ones you really had to watch. Sinewy old buggers

Haha I’m same age as Oldgit IIRC and still waiting to be ‘sinewy!

I’m sure you’ll thoroughly enjoy it and think of the satisfaction when they realise they cant drop you 😉

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Its easy to sit in (a group or wheel) at around 20 mph, just use your experience. Remember its not the energy or power you have its what you save. dont do any turns on the front, till you feel confident that you will make it round the ride.

flap_jack
    Free Member

MTFU.

I just done 18.5 mph for 40 miles, on my own. And I’ll never see 50 again either.

Mind you, I’m glad I didn’t bump into you lot. I was committing all the crimes against roadieism
    – wearing unmatching top and shorts, and helmet for that matter
    – MTB shoes and no socks
    – saddlebag containing spares
    – full length Zefal pump
    – triple chainring on a racing bike
    – 11/34 rear cassette

It’s surprising I can get along at all…

oldgit
    Free Member

It was nothing, a few of the 30+ guys were there. And kingkongsfinger it was bob on 20mph average. I felt fine the whole time, but was slow on the biggest climb.

I’m sun burnt on the shoulders, gone right through the kit.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

oldgit – Member

I’m sun burnt on the shoulders

You wearing a strapless little number? 😆

oldgit
    Free Member

You wearing a strapless little number?

Moob tube

maccruiskeen

Sit on the back and wait for the young chaps to blow to shreds after 30 mins.

owned with zimmers

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

:-)Loving “Moob tube”

brooess
    Free Member

I ran my 10k (39.52) aged 29. A couple of years ago ?(aged 37) I ran 30 secs slower.
    I was happy with that
    I then looked at the ages of the 20 or so runners who beat me
    Almost all were older – 40+, 50+
    It’s there for as long as you can keep it IMO 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

There you go see, never as bad as it seems sometimes is it.
    We know your a fit bloke, you know your a fit bloke.

Be thankfully you were able to stretch your legs a bit.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Nervous about Sundays ride.’ is closed to new replies.