Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Nerja – Road bike or Mtb.
  • stanfree
    Free Member

As the cycle suggests really. Off to nerja with the wife and as Im not really a lie on the beach kind of fella Im wondering about whether hiring a roadbike or mtb . Ive looked on strava and noticed a cracking looking mountain route heading North but also noticed some nice pics of off road routes on the mountain bike. It seems im limited to hiring from X bikes in the town which is fineand will probably just do one dayheading out early doors before the heat.
    Your views please folks.

AlexSimon

Road bike if you’re doing it on your own.
    MTB if you can get some local knowledge, or hire a guide.

It’s hard enough going for a walk, let alone navigating on a bike due to the lack of signs/infra/people doing it imo.

AlexSimon

Strava heatmap may help, but it makes it look like a lot of people have ridden the Rio Chillar, which is usually 3-4 inches deep in water for it’s full length.
    http://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#14/-3.88289/36.76711/blue/bike

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tom84
    Free Member

Firstly, xbikes is a great shop. The man there, I think an ex-pro, is very very good at what he does and is a nice guy too. If there was any chance of getting out with him and his friends on an mtb it would be a real cultural submersion as well as great riding. That said I don’t know if that is possible and haven’t looked into it myself as I am always on the road bike when in that area. The other thing is there has been a lot of bad weather there this year and there might be storm damage to the trails. So, road bike: amazing. The N340 in both directions from nerja (west flat, east hilly) is a great start and impossible to get lost on. Then, next step up, I would consider a route up to somewhere like frigiliana or Competa or one then the other. At the other end of the scale would be a really big day out like up to ventas de zafarraya via the back of velez malaga, or, in the other direction, the stunning ‘goat road’ out the back of Almunecar.

simster

was in xbikes a few weeks ago – they do a mtb ride 1x per week from the shop. dont know which day though.

stevious

The road biking there is excellent. So is the MTBing, but quite hard to find your way around without local knowledge

aazlad
    Free Member

I took a road bike on a family holiday there a few years ago. The old coastal road east towards Almunecar is fantastic. If you head inland those mountains are big! Take lots of water. Link to a couple of strava routes I used below:

https://www.strava.com/routes/382708

There was a ‘Biggun’ which headed north for a loop into the mountains from between Nerja and Almunecar but I appear to have deleted it.

Enjoy!

stanfree
    Free Member

Thansk for the advice folks , cant wait . Will head down the X bike and see whats going on when I get there.

stanfree
    Free Member

Just back from a week In Nerja and what a stunning wee palce it is two , truly beautiful. Ended up hiring a ridley fenix sl with spd’s for £34 which I thought was great. X bikes is a good shop and the bike was perfect. Also noticed a new bike shop near the Avenue mediterraneo and a very smart looking one in Torrox.
    Anyhoo only did two 25 miles rides , one up to Fligriana then Torrow Pueblo and back via the coast. The other one was heading east along the coast to Alumencar. I’ll definately be back as its a stunning part of the world . Thanks for the tips folks.

matt10214
    Free Member

I go every year late June early July and would advise as early start as you can as I find the heat gone 11am baking hot!

The roads from Torre Del Mar north up to the mountains are very challenging and the Vuelta passes round there sometimes.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Nerja – Road bike or Mtb.’ is closed to new replies.