Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • nerdy question about ergon grips with bar ends
  • reggiegasket
    Free Member

I've got a pair of the standard grips but I was wondering about the ones with the built-in bar ends.

Given that the grip and bar end are independently adjustable, do you have to run the Ergon bar ends for them to work or could you swap them for regular bar ends?

In other words, how does the clamping mechanism work?

If I ran different bar ends, what would hold the grip in place?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I don't think you could swap them – I tried this – the bar ends also act as the lock on clamp so are a bigger diameter on the clamp as they go over the grip as well as the bar. So i you put standard bar ends on you get a funny gap and the grip just rotates around the bar

wwaswas

I use standard ergon grips with bar ends on one of my bikes (flat barred).

looks a bitr naff when you're off the bike but I tend not to look at them when I'm riding…

tegski
    Free Member

Bar ends are definitely also the grip lock on clamps – have just put a set on in preparation for a long ride – nice to be able to vary hand position a bit. Not worried how they look as they are comfortable for me.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

waswas – that's what I'm currently running: standard Ergons and non-Ergon bar ends. It works fine but I figured the "bar-end" version of the grip would look a bit tidier.

Sounds like you can't really swap the Ergon bar ends for normal bar ends. I guess you could trim the grip down to make space for a regular bar end, but then you'd have no way to stop the grip moving, other than glueing which would be messy.

mmmm I am tempted to find a way to make it work though….

Junkyard
    Free Member

as above deffo bigger and no use with normal ones. I like ergo grip and bar ends on risers and I like the way it annoys others how I choose to ride my bike WTF has it got to do with you? Do I give thwm pedal, tyre or saddle advice?

cinnamon_girl

No, they are not interchangeable. I was using Ergon bar ends on my single speed but, at long last, they have now bought out the ones with a HUGE bar end (GC3). Can actually get all of my hand around it!

Looks shocking, did post a pic on here a while back, and received the usual comments 😀

Edit: I run a silly wide riser bar and do have the odd collision with trees on the single track!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘nerdy question about ergon grips with bar ends’ is closed to new replies.