Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Nerd Content…Using old virgin Netgear as a Wireless bridge?
  • billyblackheart
    Free Member

Coming after a thread about Streaming Netflix to computers in the house, I thought I’d ressurect this thought I’ve had in my head for a while.

Am I correct in thinking I can use a router as sort of a leap frog router for the rest of the house?

My Internets come in through my office in the rear of the house, they connect to my main computer via ethernet. I’ve another one in the attic room which acts a print server up in the print room. Towards the front of the house the wi-fi struggles a little and the Apple Television box thing really seems to struggle. and in the bedrooms it all gets a little shitty if everyone is on their laptops/ipads.

So, If I put an old router (netgear) in the middle it should boost the wifi right? Last time I looked up doing it I seemed to recall virgin load up a load of their own firmware onto the routers and you have to root them before you carry on.

So anyone tried/done this or is it waste of time.

(Erm I think we’re on broadband Large, and the new router is virgins Super Hub with blue flashing lights)

Cheers

dirtydog
    Free Member

You have to telnet it, once it’s routed you can update the firmware as normal, you will then have access to the full config settings.

Did mine a few weeks back

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?p=148146

It’s not as complicated as it sounds.

enfht
    Free Member

Don’t tell him the answer – he called you a nerd.

scaled
    Free Member

mmmm simplest way would be to install DD-WRT

dirtydog
    Free Member

scaled – Member
    mmmm simplest way would be to install DD-WRT

POSTED 10 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

I was going to try that but wasn’t sure what the outcome would be.

It has some interesting features.

billyblackheart
    Free Member

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged

Cheers will give this ago, see if the router I had in mind was supported.

hainman
    Free Member

I dont think it will work,my mate tried this for me a while back as my wifi signal wasnt that great in the kids bedroom for his ps3,he kept loosing signal intermittently….

Turns out that virgin block their wireless routers and therefor cant be used as a bridge….

dirtydog
    Free Member

hainman – Member

Turns out that virgin block their wireless routers and therefor cant be used as a bridge….

POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

See second post.

xiphon
    Free Member

Please, enlighten me….

hainman
    Free Member

@xiphon…. When my mate tried to use my old white netgear wireless router he couldnt get it to pair with the main router as a booster and he couldnt reset the older one to let him in to use it as a booster or bridge.
    when googled it there was pages that virgin locked the routers so it wasnt possible to use them as boosters….im only going by what my mate was telling me mind,im not computer literate enough to be able to tackle something like this myself,obviously he never tried hard enough if it can be done….

xiphon
    Free Member

It can be done (the routers are generic and made by a 3rd party, usually Netgear), but it takes a bit of tinkering.

At home, I run a Netgear DG384G v4 (which used to be either a Virgin or Sky router originally) with DGTeam Firmware.

Lots of settings to fine-tune our internet connection 🙂

Haze

I flashed my WGR614v9 as per the link above a few weeks back, was pretty straightforward though there were a couple of head scratching moments.

I couldn’t get it to play nice with the Superhub in the end, can’t remember the exact reason but it wasn’t through the lack of trying (many hours trying a number of different configurations).

It’s now acting as my main router again, with the Superhub in ‘modem only’ mode. Wireless is far better than the Superhub alone.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Nerd Content…Using old virgin Netgear as a Wireless bridge?’ is closed to new replies.