Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Neil Gaiman wins book of the year 2013
  • choppersquad
    Free Member

The Ocean At The End Of The Lane is a fantastic book and a much deserved winner. But, in case you’ve never read any of his books before, make your first one “Good Omens”. A book he wrote with Terry Pratchett which is just about my favorite book ever.

fubar
    Free Member

Neil Gaiman’s The Ocean at the End of the Lane has been voted 2013’s Book of the Year, winning the public vote “by a considerable margin”

Mmm, just read The Graveyard Book and, to me, it was okay but not great. His books are obviously popular hence winning a public vote but I’m not convinced it’s the best book of the year (right off to read Robinson Crusoe best book of 1719)

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Top bloke.

wordnumb
    Free Member

WTF is a ‘book of the year’?

(anticipates almanac answer)

bigblackshed

Neverwhere is on Radio 4 and iplayer ATM. Every night this week. James MacAvoy, Christopher Lee, Benedic Cumberbatch. Top stuff.

DezB
    Free Member

Last year’s winner was EL James’ raunchy blockbuster Fifty Shades of Grey

Well, these “books of the year” voters are obviously a discerning crowd..

drlex
    Free Member

Excellent news! He comes across as a top bloke ( (c) eddiebaby) and I’ve enjoyed his books; both prose & graphic. Maybe Brenda might think to include him in the honours list real soon…

CountZero

Mmm, just read The Graveyard Book and, to me, it was okay but not great. His books are obviously popular hence winning a public vote but I’m not convinced it’s the best book of the year (right off to read Robinson Crusoe best book of 1719)

So, you read a The Graveyard Book, but not The Ocean…, yet you question it being voted Book of the Year. How, exactly, did you arrive at that conclusion? How many of Neil’s many other books have you read? It was voted by the public, who’ve actually read the books, and, thus made a considered opinion.
    And Neil is indeed a lovely bloke, when he did a signing in Bath, he was there until 1am and signed around 1200 books, not including several hundred during the day for sale later. And did the same at every venue on the tour.
    It’s very unusual for a genre book to win a popular book listing like this, so Neil has every reason to be pretty chuffed.

Coyote
    Free Member

Just read this. A good book but in my opinion not his best. Neverwhere was much better as was the Graveyard Book. Good to see him getting some recognition though. A top author.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Neil Gaiman wins book of the year 2013’ is closed to new replies.