Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Neil Armstrong what a guy !
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

I’ll say it again what a guy !

a true inspiration…better than any sporting (overpaid) hero…

jon1973
    Free Member

Also a lucky guy to be given the opportunity to do what he did.

birky
    Free Member

So calm and calculated under pressure, extraordinary.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Three or four years ago my Team Leader’s brother wrote to him and offered to show him around SS Great Britain if he was ever in the UK, he accepted, really nice guy by all accounts.

Dibbs
    Free Member

When I see any of that moon landing stuff I can’t help feeling sorry for Michael Collins.

grantway
    Free Member

jon1973 – Member

Yeah about time he told the truth !

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Yeah, apparently it was a national lottery

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

If there is truth to be told he won’t be able to say much as he is no longer alive…

muddy@rseguy

A (very) good interview by Sir Patrick Moore with Neil Armstrong from 1970 :

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=PtdcdxvNI1o&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DPtdcdxvNI1o&gl=GB

Cougar

When I see any of that moon landing stuff I can’t help feeling sorry for Michael Collins.

I get where you’re coming from.

but if he were me, I’d still tear their arms off.

Cougar

I get where you’re coming from.

but if he were me, I’d still tear their arms off.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The moon landing naysayers do my head in. The commentry with that you tube clip is grim.

The sky looks black because there is no atmosphere
    The earth and sun are so bright that it’s difficult to see much else

zippykona

Total man of steel. If mankind started today how soon before we could send someone back?

MSP

The whole moon programme was amazing. It’s a shame that so much of the USA has forgotten what can be achieved when Governments invest in advancing science and discovery.

milleboy
    Free Member

The whole moon programme was amazing. It’s a shame that so much of the USA has forgotten what can be achieved when Governments invest in advancing science and discovery.

I agree. However you cannot ignore that it was fuelled by cold war rivalry, cost more than they could really afford, and at a level of risk that would be unacceptably today.
    So it’s a bit of a paradox IMO.

MSP

I think the politicians were fuelled by the cold war rivalry, to a larger extent the scientists weren’t. It’s a great shame that so many politicians seem to need any enemy to find the will to do the right thing.

It wasn’t just the space programme, America used to be the big investor in lots of scientific research, now they are falling behind. Europe is picking up some of the pieces with joint ventures like the hadron collider and the European Space Agency seems to be growing, but I don’t think the research has been replaced. And much of it is too big for private enterprise.

We are basing our futures on greed instead of enlightenment. Neil Armstrong wasn’t in it for the money or the fame, he was a quiet modest man who did it for the challenge. There is a lesson there.

catsplums
    Free Member

top respect to the man who earned his place there and did a stunning job, Stunning yet shockingly brave, it was clear he was prepared to give all to push the limits and I doubt that was motivated by money.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Neil Armstrong what a guy !’ is closed to new replies.