Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 243 total)
  • Neighbours smoking (is there anything we can do)
  • bearnecessities

it’s exceptionally anti-social.

You naughty troll, you 🙂

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

It is pretty niffy…..

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

[video]http://youtu.be/bCbDF-OPDX4[/video]

Edukator
    Free Member

Sorry, I missed out “humanist”, Junkyard.

Edit: I haven’t done any paid teaching for 12 years, slowoldgit, I still do occasional voluntary work though.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Adn you wonder why you get called a troll

To be fair that was a funny answer and i massively admire your eco credentials.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Just for my tuppence, I’d be mortified if any of my habits upset a neighbour, surely I’d apologise. Were a bit OT here, so I’d just like to add my voice to the ‘ask them to do it further away’ crowd. But also the ‘extremely unlikely to have any notable effect at smellable concentrations’ brigade.

Lastly, on the subject of farts, its the gasses, not poopticulates, AFAIK.

Oh, and cheers, Ed, for a considered reply.

I think I had better stick my fave Rachmaninoff on, and high-brow it up now, heh.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

My eco-warrior, pro-social justice, pro-meritocracy, pro-Euro, hedonistic, carpe diem, assume the consequences of your actions, love and peace message non-stop trolling has earned me a “troll” label from the generation in power (though in their photos they look about the same age as me) people who have a bit more of a life than I do.
    FIFY

Edukator
    Free Member

How do you qualify your own post if not “trolling”, ChubbyBlokeInLycra? Don’t poke the troll with a stick.

TrimFitBlokeInLycra.

Sleep tight all. Time to get under my bridge.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

The laws against criminalisation of drugs and their use

Soma, you aren’t making a lot of sense.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

poopticulates

I think the technical term is “pooticles”.

konabunny
    Free Member

Idiot statement. You question laws in a legitimate way not decide which ones you wish to obey. Don’t wish to obey the laws? Move out of our society.

It’s not an idiot statement at all. You originally suggested that there was a moral obligation to report people who break laws whatsoever; I disagree. I don’t think there’s a moral obligation to report people breaking the law if e.g. the is immoral. We can all think of examples of immoral laws – section 28 (the “gay propaganda” law) was an example of one IMO.

I notice you are now shifting your argument to talk about a requirement to obey the law. That’s a quite different thing from your earlier point, which was that people show report others who do not obey laws. And again, I don’t think there is a moral obligation to obey laws if they’re immoral. To take a bleeding obvious example to avoid any accusations of subtlety, Nazi racial purity laws were immoral, and I don’t think anyone was under a moral obligation to obey them.

I think you’re confusing law and morals, and obeying a law and reporting others’ refusal to obey a law.

stoffel
    Free Member

Don’t wish to obey the laws? Move out of our society.

I wasn’t aware that society belonged to anyone, group or individual. Laws are often made without the consent of all society’s members. No law, no matter how rigourously enforced, is absolute. Mayny laws are wrong and marginalise/negatively impact/oppress innocent people. Laws should always be questioned and if necessary, disobeyed/challenged. Doing so may be deemed ‘unlawful’ by those with a vested interest in all people obeying them.

Would you make the same statment to a homosexual person in Saudi Arabia?

jambourgie
    Free Member

Well put. Totally agree.

somafunk

slowoldgit : I often don’t make sense that’s why i feel right at home within this forum 😀 , i typed it between making a stir fry, answering the phone, burning the stir fry, shouting at a cat shitting in my garden and trying to figure out in my head how to approach a job/task i need to do tomorrow along with all the other stuff piling up.

Of the above i only managed the shouting at the cat with any measure of success.

Par for the course really, i’ll take that small achievement as a win.

jambourgie
    Free Member

somafunk – Member
    slowoldgit : I often don’t make sense that’s why i feel right at home within this forum , i typed it between making a stir fry, answering the phone, burning the stir fry, shouting at a cat shitting in my garden and trying to figure out in my head how to approach a job/task i need to do tomorrow along with all the other stuff piling up I’m stoned.

FTFY

somafunk

nope – not smoked/vaporized weed or hash for at least 2 years.

Next guess?…. 😀

konabunny
    Free Member

“Of the above i only managed the shouting at the cat with any measure of success.”

Look, at least you didn’t stir fry the cat, right…?

yunki
    Free Member

Can I throw another tangent on the fire..?

Does anyone know where I can find stats for the percentage of patients suffering from cannabis psychosis on acute psychiatric wards in the UK that came from cannabis using family backgrounds…?

It would really interest me, I’ve met a lot of second and third generation hippy folk and as a rule they generally seem fairly switched on, good pleasant folk… perhaps there may even be benefits to passive smoking in children..?

In days of yore (pre-prohibition) I’m sure the midwife would have prescribed cannabis smoke/products for a variety of childhood situations, from babies that don’t settle at night, pain relief, appetite enhancement etc through to treatment of chronic illness.. Not to mention daily nutrition, skincare and clothing

(DISCLAIMER: I should state that I suffered with horrendous psychosis in my late teens and early 20s, and although I have not used cannabis since, I still strongly advocate against it’s blanket demonisation)

trail_rat
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/just-had-row-with-next-door-neighbour

I knew i remembered from before….

Same neighbour ? Im sure telling them to stop smokings going to go down well …..

If its not the same neighbour , then im glad not to live next to a busy body.

thewanderer
    Free Member

The pot (except for a uncertain impact on health) and it’s legality is irrelevant here.

This is all about the a neighbour who is either consciously or unconsciously being an ass by prioritizing their wants over their neighbour’s rights to a certain degree of comfort and refuge in their own home. Whether it’s pot, cigs, loud music or whatever doesn’t matter.

When living near someone a little give and take is needed. I’m ok balancing my occasional louud music with your occasional fag.

It seems that these guys want to take all the time.

Fixing the issue requires a mix of carrot and stick and a fair bit of confrontation as most users are so selfish about their habit they can’t see the impact they are having on others.

thewanderer
    Free Member

I must add that any confrontation needs to be carefully measured to be effective yet not to get your head kicked in.

If you’re not comfortable with that you need to find reinforcements in the shape of neighbours or authorities/move out of put up.

Personally I think they should just bake their weed into brownies..

v666ern
    Free Member

So any update BUNNYHOP?

Ps I clicked on your username and it takes me here
    http://emmyjane-design.blogspot.co.uk/
    Is that the garden in question in the pictures, if so thats gonna take a LOT of smoke 🙄

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

This is still ongoing?
    Man up, and talk to them! Jeebus…

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Soma – don’t take offence, it just seemed apt.

DezB
    Free Member

This is all about the a neighbour who is either consciously or unconsciously being an ass by prioritizing their wants over their neighbour’s rights to a certain degree of comfort and refuge in their own home. Whether it’s pot, cigs, loud music or whatever doesn’t matter.

Wow, wasn’t this established 220 or so posts ago?

stoffel
    Free Member

So what is actually the real issue here? Because I really don’t beleive that he odd whiff of dope smoke wafting over your way now and then is actually the massive problem you make it out to be. Is it more that their not your ideal sort of neighbours? Just seems like a lot of fuss over very little if you ask me. Live and let live. If it’s really that big a deal for you (if you’re so sensitive, how on earth do you deal with bbqs, bonfres, other peoples’ cooking etc? ), shut your windows. Or, open your mind a bit, go round there for a free toke, and just chill. 8)

thewanderer
    Free Member

Wow, wasn’t this established 220 or so posts ago?

Sorry must have missed that amoungst all the dope is moral/immoral stuff. Should have known better than try to address the OP’s post.

DezB
    Free Member

No need to apologise. I was just surprised is all.

molgrips
    Free Member

Because I really don’t beleive that he odd whiff of dope smoke wafting over your way now and then is actually the massive problem you make it out to be.

So.. she says the stink is awful, and you think it’s just the ‘odd whiff’ and she’s some kind of awful snob.

So, despite the fact that you’re not there and you haven’t smelled it, you think you know all about the situation and are choosing to draw a very negative conclusion about the OP. And then post it.

Nice.

This is still ongoing?
    Man up, and talk to them! Jeebus…

I don’t think the OP’s been back since the first page.. so don’t blame her.

stoffel
    Free Member

I’ve lived next to habitual weed smokers. Sat outside when they’re there hving a puff. It never bothered me at all. Even the skunk I could hardly smell. So I’m surprised that it’s such a big issue for the op, and am wondering if it’s more to do with the fact that they just don’t like their neighbours, and will use any stick to try and beat them with (online of corse). I thik i’t smore about the neighbours being ‘different’ that the op doens’t like.

as person who has tried to live healthily and helped others in the past to do so, it really has got to me.

They’re not your concenr. Worry about somthing else instead, or just chill out andrelax. Life’s too short.

molgrips
    Free Member

So I’m surprised that it’s such a big issue for the op

Still might be better not to judge character eh? You don’t know what they are smoking and how their windows/flats are arranged or how the wind blows around their gardens.

Personally I find weed very pungent and acrid and not at all pleaseant even in small quantities, unlike tobacco which can sometimes be somewhat pleasant (when fresh, depending on the blend). Never complained about it though before you jump down my throat.

stoffel
    Free Member

Still might be better not to judge character eh?

I just find it very nimbyish. Hardly ‘judging character’. Th eop might be incredibly tolerant in many other rspects.

You don’t know what they are smoking and how their windows/flats are arranged or how the wind blows around their gardens.

But but but but… 🙄

Personally I find weed very pungent and acrid and not at all pleaseant even in small quantities

So what?

konabunny
    Free Member

I agree with Molgrips. There’s no reason to be snotty towards the OP when the full facts aren’t known.

I used to live next to a guy who smoked really cheap nasty cigars in his little courtyard thingy and it used to stink out our place just because of the layout of windows and construction methods. Luckily he moved out before I had to pwn him with Bombers.

v666ern
    Free Member

I agree with Molgrips. There’s no reason to be snotty towards the OP when the full facts aren’t known.

Quite, Its like a really poor troll that we’ve still made last 7 pages, was the OP’s other moany thread any different?

molgrips
    Free Member

I just find it very nimbyish. Hardly ‘judging character’.

I think that’s exactly what it is. Nimbyism is a pretty negative character trait, and you just attributed it to the OP.

So what?

So you might not mind the smell, others might be more sensitive to it. Same goes for a lot of things. So you don’t think it should be a problem based on your own experience, but it might be for her.

Junkyard
    Free Member

the OP’s other moany thread

i think it is ok to object to your house stinking of someone elses smoke

FFS most smokers dont smoke in their own home

v666ern
    Free Member

the OP’s other moany thread

alright that was a bit harsh, but they’ve made 1 statement and buggered off…i need closure people! 👿

slackalice
    Free Member

Possibly too busy setting up the new supply chain to waste time on internet bike forums

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

FFS most smokers dont smoke in their own home

And even if they would, if the property is rented, they usually can’t anyway. We have single glazed Victorian sashes on dd’s bedroom window. Our last set of neighbours took to having their smokes just outside their back door. You could clearly smell it in his bedroom, even with the windows shut. To be fair, we asked if they wouldn’t mind going a bit further down the garden which wasn’t a problem – they were horrified when we asked anyway – and instead did all their smoking out the front instead. 🙂

It’s easy to tell someone to chill out a bit when you’re not in the situation. Constant drip drip of low level anti-social behaviour can start to do your head in, with individual incidences seemingly innocuous when described in isolation. Although, the last place I’d choose to ask would be STW.

DezB
    Free Member

but they’ve made 1 statement and buggered off

She probably found the opinions of a number of cockends on the thread quite offensive and went off to do something else.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 243 total)

The topic ‘Neighbours smoking (is there anything we can do)’ is closed to new replies.