Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Neighbours parking!
  • RoganJosh
    Free Member

Live on a street in a village, on street parking, no restrictions. Parking is required for all residents including myself and Mrs, as well as local business owners etc who leave their cars there 9-5.

One neighbour is slowly increasing his vehicle collection, and is now at 1 car, 1 campervan (used as spare bedroom/extra storage it appears), 1 trailer and 1 massive speedboat on a trailer (taken out of lake for winter storage). This is annoying enough except he goes out in the middle of the night and moves his vehicles into free spaces outside his house once they have become available and then appears to not touch them for weeks on end, with smart car sized spaces left between each.

Often means we have to park MILES away from our house, and other annoying things! Do I just have to deal with it and buy a house with a driveway?

Also yes I will speak to him and raise the issue MAN to (fat)MAN however I’ve been abroad for last few weeks working and only just found out who they all belong to! What would you do?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Talk to the neighbours, generally the best approach.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yes, unfortunately you have to deal with it, as (justifiably IMO) annoying as it is. Get similar issues where I am. Just gotta suck it up. If it’s within the law to have the vehicles there, then there’s nothing much you can do about it.

Harry_the_Spider

Similar situation here. Next door have a van and 3 cars. We live on a narrow lane. Van parks one side of our drive and a car on the other. Getting off the drive can be a bit of a leap of faith.

On Christmas day one of their guests decided to park across our drive in the gap between the car and van. I was less than fluffed.

Meh. Neighbours eh. First against the wall when I become El Presedente.

geoffj

Are you allowed to leave boats and trailers on the street?

surfer
    Free Member

Talk to the neighbours, generally the best approach.

This works occasionally IME but more than likely it will become a difficult relationship after. He sounds inconsiderate so talking to him wont help.
    My neighbour has 2 kids with cars, a large caravan, a motorbike and another 2 cars (1 very large 4wd to pull the caravan) they have a driveway and they work very hard not to inconvenience anyone else and they are generally successful and their efforts are appreciated and they are nice people. Your neighbour doesnt sound that way inclined unfortunately.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Parking and fences/boundary disputes with neighbours never end well!

Although there’s not a lot you can do about the taxed vehicles, it’s illegal to park a detached trailer on a public road.

Can the local council help?

hora
    Free Member

Unfortunately I don’t think you’d get the positive that you’d hope for. That sort of mindset is geared towards passive confrontation. Buying sheds and retaliating would just see escalation.

How far is far? If its 100m’s I’d just live with it. However do you need any sort of permit etc to park a boat/trailer on a public road? That’s the only bit that I would question. I wouldn’t let him bother me.

Depending on his age/work situation you could become his lifes focus.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Have similar issues, although we can fit 1 car on our drive, our neighbour abandons her car as oppose to parking it. Often half over the dropped kerb so you can’t even get onto the drive..
    Came home early the other weekend, and found her parked on our drive.
    Having gone away herself for the weekend.
    She’s a nightmare.

hora
    Free Member

Teetosugars I would raise with your council/local resolution team. Is that a form of anti social behaviour (parking on drive/blocking drive)?

I can’t get my car onto my drive (crap reversing skills) so by agreement my neighbour can obscure my drive and any visitors can use my drive (very very tight Avenue)

breadcrumb

Teetosugers- I’d have gone batshit. I would of clamped her car for sure!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

This works occasionally IME but more than likely it will become a difficult relationship after. He sounds inconsiderate so talking to him wont help.

Yes but if you start there and get a result then all good. If you pitch in at councils etc. on day 1 then it will go worse.
    Take the other neighbours with you

m0rk
    Free Member

I’d have called the local dodgy scrapyard and had it lifted!

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Live on a street in a village, on street parking, no restrictions. Parking is required for all residents including myself and Mrs, as well as local business owners etc who leave their cars there 9-5.

One neighbour is slowly increasing his vehicle collection, and is now at 1 car, 1 campervan (used as spare bedroom/extra storage it appears), 1 trailer and 1 massive speedboat on a trailer (taken out of lake for winter storage). This is annoying enough except he goes out in the middle of the night and moves his vehicles into free spaces outside his house once they have become available and then appears to not touch them for weeks on end, with smart car sized spaces left between each.

Often means we have to park MILES away from our house, and other annoying things! Do I just have to deal with it and buy a house with a driveway?

Also yes I will speak to him and raise the issue MAN to (fat)MAN however I’ve been abroad for last few weeks working and only just found out who they all belong to! What would you do?

Unfortunately there are too many embelishmnets and exaggerations in this account for me to form an unbiased solution, you could perhaps hint at his employment status and/or nationality in order to help me further. Has he been seen at home during the day? This might mean that he’s unemployed. Has he been on holiday to a non-European country? To visit the family he left behind perhaps. I need more in order to help decide.
    Otherwise there are three options.
    1) Suck it up as he’s doing nothing illegal.
    2) Report him as he is doing something illegal.
    3) Buy a Smart car an park it in one of the gaps he’s so kindly left for you.
    HTH.

Flaperon

Live with it. 🙁

But I know how you feel, people round my way are absolute knobs when it comes to parking. You get the ones who park the whole car on the pavement where it’s wide enough, blocking it for pedestrians. Then there are people who park opposite narrow driveways, effectively blocking them off. People park on the corners of junctions, on the grass, you name it, if you can get a car on it someone will have dumped it there.

Needs a vigilante squad to burn the cars / camper vans / boats / caravans etc in question IMHO.

surfer
    Free Member

Unfortunately there are too many embelishmnets and exaggerations in this account for me to form an unbiased solution, you could perhaps hint at his employment status and/or nationality in order to help me further. Has he been seen at home during the day? This might mean that he’s unemployed. Has he been on holiday to a non-European country? To visit the family he left behind perhaps. I need more in order to help decide.

You have issues

hora
    Free Member

😆 have you ever had home help visiting a neighbour?

Then you shall know bad parking

mintimperial

Get some cones, scratty as possible, scatter them randomly about the street, that’s what our neighbours all do. Really adds to the look of the place.

Grumbling about parking: if it were an Olympic sport Britain would rule the world at it.

project
    Free Member

Some councils have bylaws requiring all wheeled trailers to parked of road, check with local council, and give neighbours nane and address, then when they say no you need off street parking for them become abusive and throw toys out of pram, and tell them ill not never move them, theyll then obviously investigate, just to get back at you for being obnoxious, but youre pretending to be the neighbour.

Also best done by email from an internet cafe using a made up email address for the purpose.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Cheers all, just as I thought. Non restricted parking so not really any restrictions I can complain/enforce.

I wasn’t aware it was illegal to park an unhitched trailer on a public road though, there’s two of them so that’s half the problem, I’ll look into that. Be courteous to just pay for winter boat storage like everyone else instead of leaving it in residents parking.

When I go to work (6 months out of 12) I’m considerate enough to leave my car elsewhere (also a landrover on a street unattended for 6 months is asking for trouble) but maybe next time I might stick it on his trailer.

Cheers.

project
    Free Member

is your road a 30 mph road if not the vehicle need lights at night, al;so rear reflectors and facing direction of traffic eg parked on lhs, with reflectors towards you.

also report it to the council as a dumped caravan

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Trolley jack

Then move car 90 degrees 😈

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Someone once left an old mini outside our house, no tax, flats tyres etc. Was there for a couple of months before I lost patience & went house to house to find the owner.
    Woman claimed it was left there because “its too likely to be damaged” outside her own. I pointed out it was untaxed & therefore illegal & that I had already contacted the council to have it removed – it was gone the next day.

Personally I wanted to torch it but apparently that would be taking things too far according to MsD.

Northwind

surfer – Member

He sounds inconsiderate so talking to him wont help.

Inconsiderate just means they haven’t considered- often people do annoying things without ever knowing it’s annoying, so you’re doing your nut and they have no idea. “I’m sure it’s fine, they’d have said something” My neighbours are kind of thoughtless dicks about parking- we have 2 driveways but one’s at an angle so getting in and out is fiddly, they used to often park right at the edge of the drive making it impossible to use that one (or to get out once you’re in) Not intentional, they just didn’t realise. Quiet word, all better.

(though, I think also seeing just how close I was getting to their car possibly helped too. The joys of having a denty car)

mattbee

Knock on his door saying that you’d bumped into a Council type looking at the boat, trailer etc and apparently they were talking about towing them, thought you’d tip him off…

bigblackshed

mattbee – Member
    Knock on his door saying that you’d bumped into a Council type looking at the boat, trailer etc and apparently they were talking about towing them, thought you’d tip him off…

This.

We have limited parking in the street, some people have drives and do use them, but the issues arise when a select few can’t park outside their houses with their oversized Chelsea tractors. They then just dump them on the grass verges and in positions that either partial block others in or with no thought for others. Opposite my drive is enough room for three cars, one of these twunts abandons their truck slap bang in the middle of two spaces. This is normally enough to then push others into other spaces and the shortage of spaces then dominos.

Watching one of the neighbours trying to park a few days ago, they needed 30m run in and out to try to park. They then gave up and dumped it across a neighbours drive.

We also get the local hospital employees parking. A car will be abandoned for a few days, mostly with little regard for others. One of neighbours, not sure who, has taken to egg and flouring their cars. Like that’s going to help?

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Otherwise there are three options.
    1) Suck it up as he’s doing nothing illegal.
    2) Report him as he is doing something illegal.
    3) Buy a Smart car an park it in one of the gaps he’s so kindly left for you.
    HTH.

Someone just got triggered.

poly
    Free Member

I wasn’t aware it was illegal to park an unhitched trailer on a public road though

That will be because usually it isn’t! In fact Reg. 89 of Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regs 1986 permits it (subject to requirements around brakes/chocks).

cynic-al
    Free Member

Wow that must be some hangover, captaingrumpysasquatch!

ratherbeintobago

All I’ll say is that I’d have thought a lot of MTBers might have a tool for removing Schrader valve cores in the shed…

grumpysculler
    Free Member

Trailers must have lights if parked on the road at night. Cars only require them if the speed limit is more than 30 mph, trailers require them anywhere.

See para 3 – http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/regulation/24/made

CountZero

@captainsasquatch – somebody wee in your cornflakes? Talk about being home to mr grumpy! 🙄
    Teetosugars – that really takes the biscuit for sheer taking the piss! If someone pulled that stunt, parking their car on my drive then buggering off on holiday, I think I’d enlist the help of friends and get it hauled onto a trailer and dumped the other side of town, then deny all knowledge of its wearabouts.
    Or else clamp it and demand a hefty release fee, something like £50/day; IANAL, so I don’t know the legality, but got to be worth the effort. Might be worth investing in one of those hinged/removable posts at the entrance to your drive, so the car can be blocked in, or blocked out.
    Some people, eh?

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Take pictures and put ads in free online magazines.

Free to collect section… 😈

ojom
    Free Member

Nowhere near me but I ride past it every day. Juniper Green in Edinburgh- new flats built and for some reason they neglected to make any parking spaces. Usually 3 cars parked wholly on the pavement. Makes me proper pissed off – being a buggy pusher I wonder how wheelchair users and the partially sighted manage.

Also, in Milltimber up the road from my in laws in Aberdeen, the residents who all seem to have capacious driveways just use the pavement too. Sometimes slap bang in the middle rather than the edge. I struggle to work out the thought process involved in doing this. It demonstrates epic dontgiveashittery.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

being a buggy pusher

I read that as ‘being a pushy bugger’.

ojom
    Free Member

Works for me.

Northwind

ojom – Member

being a buggy pusher I wonder how wheelchair users and the partially sighted manage.

My dad’s mostly blind now and he deals with juney green parked cars by just walking into them all the time. He’s the scratch-n-dents repair industry’s chosen man.

northernmatt

Our back lane is just wide enough for two cars to pass. Next door usually parks his Vivaro on one side so cars can still pass. The water board have been round this last few days digging out a leaky bit of water main bang opposite where he parks so instead of moving it along a bit he has just carried on parking there blocking the lane. To be fair I have spoken to him and he seems to have the mental capacity of a jam doughnut.

wilburt
    Free Member

He sounds inconsiderate so talking to him wont help.

This, you can talk to him but IME they know full well what their doing. You need a strategy that makes it easier for jim to do something else other than inconviienince you, not always easy. If non is available, live with it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Neighbours parking!’ is closed to new replies.