Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Neighbour's dog crapping in our garden
  • Jakester
    Free Member

Morning all.

Had the “pleasure” of finding out that someone has recently chosen to let their dogs crap all over our back garden/drive.

It’s unlikely to be accidental as in order to crap where it did, the dog would have had to have come down a slope onto the hardstanding. There aren’t any roaming/uncontrolled dogs in our area, so I’m fairly sure it’s at best careless or at worst possibly deliberate.

My missus has had a couple of run-ins with one of our neighbours in the past about his leaving vans/cars blocking our driveway. Nothing nasty was ever said, but she had to leave a note asking him to be more considerate. He owns a dog, and I think is the only person that does that backs onto our access road.

Even if it’s not him, I’d quite like to catch whoever’s doing it in the act. Leaving aside a ghillie suit and nightvision sniper rifle for a moment, are there any wireless CCTV cameras that can be battery operated? The best (read: most sneaky) place would be on top of our garage, but it has no power in it. THe other option is to mount one on the wall of the mancave but it wouldn’t be very stealthy..

The Google Maps is here (for some reason can’t link to the Streetview – possibly cos running in ‘Lite’ mode). The crap is down on the concrete, rather than on the grass slope which *might* be excusable.

Bombers/shoes/pitchforks already considered. Ta.

Jakester
    Free Member

Damn. Linky no worky.

Try again.

Jakester
    Free Member

Er, not sure what’s going on there. Used the forum linky thingy twice now…

Anyway:

http://tinyurl.com/opq5y5j

wwaswas

not trying to be ‘funny’ but coming on a bike forum saying ‘this is where I live and I own bicycles’ might not be the best idea?

I realise I may be being a bit paranoiac on your behalf.

scaled
    Free Member

in a shed with no power, therefore alarm and definitely no CCTV?

My thoughts exactly 😀

thegreatape
    Free Member

I wonder if it might be quicker and simpler for you to just pop out and pick it up? 🙂

scaredypants

I wonder if it might be quicker and simpler for you to just pop out and pick it up?

and then return it to the presumed owner

willjones
    Free Member

Are you sure it’s not foxes?

Junkyard
    Free Member

fox poo really really stinks and you will know if one is crapping there

Richie_B

Have a friendly word saying that as you have seen signs of rats in the garden you have put poison out and that he might want to take extra care to ensure his dog isn’t at risk (whether you actually put bate boxes out is down to you)

jekkyl

a one off or a reoccuring incident? are you seriously considering putting up a camera for catching a dog pooing on your garden?
    This has got all the potential of an excellent ‘nightmare neighbour next door’ episode.

noltae
    Free Member

I’m not backing leaving notes for neighbours – handle your business (or in this case the dog’s) face to face..

Jakester
    Free Member

Bikes aren’t in there 😉

Jakester
    Free Member

Bloody ell. Double post. Something funny going on round here.

Not really a ‘nightmare neighbour’ – just if someone’s doing it deliberately, I’d quite like some irrefutable evidence before asking them politely to stop, rather than slinging unfounded accusations.

I suppose I’m just annoyed because I had to clean the dog egg from my shoes…

midlifecrashes

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=26&v=6QcfZGDvHU8[/video]

Jakester
    Free Member

Loving the turret…

Re: notes – the note was left because the van was unattended, no-one answered their door and my wife, having returned from work, had to go and pick up our son from after-school club (by taxi, because she couldn’t get the car out). Wouldn’t do notes for poo if proven, some hoofing in the slats would be going on!

Deffo not fox crap – we get that too (and possibly badger) and I’ve the dubious distinction of being able to tell the difference.

andyl
    Free Member

Have you seen “me, myself and Irene”?

ads678

What does mystique of Bath do?!?

obelix
    Free Member

Why don’t you have a friendly word with him?

It turns out my dogs were (possibly) crapping in my neighbours garden (I say possibly because there are other dogs around that may have been too). My neighbour knocked on the door and had a word with me. I then started watching my dogs more closely when I let them out for their evening turd. No more dog crap for neighbour, no hard feelings, happy days.

If my neighbour had first installed a cctv cam before chatting with me, I doubt things would have turned out for the better.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Amazon sell industrial strength bleach. Use a pump sprayer to spray bleach across the entrance to your garden. Repeat after rain. Dog will get the idea soon enough.

Jakester
    Free Member

Why don’t you have a friendly word with him?

Because I have no evidence that it is indeed this individual.

Unfashionable, I know, but I would like to have some concrete proof of wrongdoing before going batshit mental. 😉

Re: Mystique, it appears to be a beauty salon, but it’s a residential address. Which also belongs to a reception teacher at a local school.

unovolo
    Free Member

What does mystique of Bath do?!?

http://mystique-of-bath.co.uk/

hugo
    Free Member

Go and talk to the person face to face. No other first option. Be polite, don’t make assumptions, see what happens, just explain what’s happening.

Your next step will be dictated by what happens during your chat.

jimdubleyou

Why don’t you ask the neighbour if he’s got any unexplained doo-doo in his garden, then you can explain you have and you’re wondering where it came from.

matt_outandabout

Why don’t you ask the neighbour if he’s got any unexplained doo-doo in his garden, then you can explain you have and you’re wondering where it came from.

Add in your concern as you had just purchased that rat poison, and you would hate for a dog to eat it….

onehundredthidiot

Spray jayes fluid not bleach. It’ll put the dog off, if casual, only have to do it for a week it’ll break the habit. If deliberate actions by the owner then it’ll not be successful.

Flaperon

Do you have a GoPro? Can be bodged into CCTV at a push.

Timelapse mode, 2 second interval, 5mp images and a USB powerbank will let it run for a couple of days on a 64GB card.

crapjumper
    Free Member

Going a bit OT now but I just happened to notice 😉 that mystique of bath do a Brazilian for £25 and a Hollywood for £25 . Excuse my naivety but wtf is a Hollywood ?

wwaswas

I googled it.

from a skim read you can request a hair style with a Hollywood.

Jakester
    Free Member

Flaperon – Member
    Do you have a GoPro? Can be bodged into CCTV at a push.

Timelapse mode, 2 second interval, 5mp images and a USB powerbank will let it run for a couple of days on a 64GB card

Sadly I’m not rad enough to own a GoPro. However, to ensure I don’t get fired from STW I do drive a Skoda Octavia and have a wood burning stove.

crapjumper – Member
    Going a bit OT now but I just happened to notice that mystique of bath do a Brazilian for £25 and a Hollywood for £25 . Excuse my naivety but wtf is a Hollywood ?

Seems cheap…

slowoldman

He looks a bit hairy for a Hollywood.

wallop

A colleague has just bought one of those infra red activated jet sprays to stop the cats crapping on his garden – try one of those.

gears_suck
    Free Member

If my neighbour had first installed a cctv cam before chatting with me, I doubt things would have turned out for the better.

Even though your dog was taking a duke in his garden?
    It’s your dog and your responsibility to make sure it defecates in your garden. Opening the door and saying. “Off you go Toodles, make poopy sweetie pie.” and expecting it to know where to do it is irresponsible.
    You should expect whatever comes, and be humble about it too.

obelix
    Free Member

You should expect whatever comes, and be humble about it too.

I did, and indeed I was. I apologised and made sure it didn’t happen again. BBQ’d with that same neighbour a couple weekends later, so I guess you could call the whole incident an ice-breaker.

To the OP, the point I was trying to make was, when you speak to him, that “batshit mental” shouldn’t really play much of a part in things at this early stage. No proof is needed, especially if it’s obvious that his dog is the likely culprit. Just chat in a calm and friendly manner, and see how he responds. Not as in how he responds during the conversation, as he may well be taken aback, but how he responds in action. As when he heads back home he’ll probably think about it and see you’ve got a fair point, and take action following this realisation.

Now that I’ve had my agony aunt moment, I’m off to bed…

gears_suck
    Free Member

I get your point Obelix but I don’t think the OP was saying he wanted to go ‘batshit mental.’
    I think he wants to ascertain that he is speaking to the right person before broaching the subject, which sounds like a reasonable approach.
    I suppose you could go at it either way as long as you don’t do it aggressively.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Caltrops?

caspian
    Free Member

Bit of a thread hijack here but the above seems to be resolved and I have a similar problem to the OP:

We share a driveway with a retired, ex-navy, yellow couduroy trouser wearing toff who feels that he can walk into our back garden and knock on the back door whenever he damn well feels like it. It is highly, highly annoying.

Our house was vacant/derelict for two years before we moved in hence why he probably feels the right to roam.

Much like the OP I don’t really have a verbal setting between ‘miffed’ and full apoplexy hence I would prefer a less confrontational deterrent as opposed to saying something that I might later regret. Been there a few times.

Considering padlocks on the gates but this is a PITA. All suggestions welcome.

mogrim

Considering padlocks on the gates but this is a PITA. All suggestions welcome.

Big dog to scare him off, and if he leaves the gate open it’ll crap on his lawn. Win-win.

jam-bo

We share a driveway with a retired, ex-navy, yellow couduroy trouser wearing toff who feels that he can walk into our back garden and knock on the back door whenever he damn well feels like it. It is highly, highly annoying.

ask him to knock on the front door instead?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Neighbour's dog crapping in our garden’ is closed to new replies.