• This topic has 31 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Neighbours burgler alarm going off. Owt I can do?
  • binners

My next door neighbour works away through the week. The last couple of nights his burglar alarm has decided to go off. 4.00 am this morning, 1.30 am the night before. The unit is right next to my bedroom window, its bloody loud and continues to go off for about 15 minutes!

Unfortunately I’ve no contact details for him, and he’s not going to be back before the weekend. And I don’t fancy that going off every night until then. Is their anything I can do? Any suggestions? That doesn’t involve a ladder and a large hammer. Which was a distinct possibility at 4 this morning

Oh… I checked round his doors, windows etc this morning. He’s not been broken into

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Expanding foam all over the sounder.

jam-bo

break in. obviously the alarm isn’t garnering much attention.

binners

Fair point jam bo

bearnecessities

Slightly obvious, but shouldn’t there be a number on the unit?

portlyone

Can’t the police make entry if the alarm is going off?

Do you know the company he works for? Contact him through them?

fasthaggis

Then sort it out at the weekend

or

bencooper
    Free Member

What you absolutely shouldn’t, never, ever do is get a crossbow and put a bolt through the box.

The bike shop owner I used to work for years ago did this. Went through the box, and the wall behind it – neighbour got home and reported to the police that someone had been trying to kill him.

br
    Free Member

Many years ago I had a neighbour who’s alarm was constantly going off during the day.

I just approached him and asked whether he could get it serviced (new estate and all on the same alarm company). He said he wasn’t going to waste money on it.

Ok, says I, well you’ll know the next time its gone off as it’ll be lying in your front garden!

He got it fixed.

houndlegs
    Free Member

What you absolutely shouldn’t, never, ever do is get a crossbow and put a bolt through the box.

The bike shop owner I used to work for years ago did this. Went through the box, and the wall behind it – neighbour got home and reported to the police that someone had been trying to kill him.

Through the box and a wall, bloody hell,what was the neighbour living in,a kennel? 😀

binners

Slightly obvious, but shouldn’t there be a number on the unit?

Nope. Believe me, if there was it would have been dialed at about 4.02am this morning

I’m liking the crossbow idea

qwerty
    Free Member

IIRC there is a law as to how long a house alarm shod sound for, I think its 8min, google it, not that anyone obeys it.

binners

So if its longer than 8 minutes, I can shoot it with a crossbow? 😀

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Try the council, they have to act on nuisance noise.

We have a registration scheme where I have informed them of my contact details and those of another keyholder. Hopefully your neighbour has done the same, if not try the police on 101.

bencooper
    Free Member

Through the box and a wall, bloody hell,what was the neighbour living in,a kennel?

Brezeblock, and an uprated illegal crossbow. Ex-boss was a bit of a loon.

Pook

we’ve had this with a car alarm. Reported to.council who send a noise abatement order, if they still receive complaints they can seize the car. I suspect there’s similar routes of action with houses, though maybe not the seizing the house bit.

I like the crossbow idea.

project
    Free Member

Ring the council environmnental health department, as its classed as a noise nuisance, they alos have the power to make forced entry and charge back the cost to the property owner.

And ring the police and report a burglar alarm going off, they probably want ever come out for it again,even if his house is being burgled.

hels
    Free Member

Nuke it from orbit, it’s the only way to be sure.

footflaps

Climb up on a ladder with a hammer drill and put a large hole in the sounder?

aracer
    Free Member

Nuke it from orbit, it’s the only way to be sure.

I was thinking that, but you’re going to be wanting a very short range nuke if you live next door.

sbob
    Free Member

bencooper – Member

uprated illegal crossbow

Been a few years since I was savvy with these laws, but how can a crossbow be illegal?

Unless he’d uprated the bow string with panda urethra I don’t remember there being any limits on crossbows with exception to age of ownership and use for hunting.

JEngledow
    Free Member

jam bo +1

Markie
    Free Member

So if its longer than 8 minutes, I can shoot it with a crossbow?

If it’s Welsh.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I seem to remember the guy fitting our alarm said something about being authorised to disconnect a nuisance alarm. Try ringing any alarm company to investigate further.

Onzadog
    Free Member

By the way, have you checked to see if he’s been burgled?

piemonster

Holy Hand Grenade?

coffeeking
    Free Member

The perils of living near other people!

jonba
    Free Member

IIRC there is a law as to how long a house alarm shod sound for,

The unit is right next to my bedroom window, its bloody loud and continues to go off for about 15 minutes!

It is about 15 minutes…

Try a non emergency police number. The alarm going off could indicate a break in?

bikebouy
    Free Member

About ten years ago I had a neighbour who’s alarm went off over a weekend whilst he was away. I called the police who did nowt, then I called the council who sent out someone the following day whilst the alarm was still going off, they phoned the fire brigade who filled the box with foam.
    It hasn’t gone off since..
    I also popped around when the lad got back and told him what happened, he seemed belligerent to the fact that I complained until he got the bill from the council and fire brigade.

binners

You’ll be pleased to know that the crossbow worked a treat! 😀

Actually… I’m thinking one of the other neighbours must have got in touch with him, as one of his mates turned up last night and sorted it

And Onzadog – yes I had been round his house and checked he’d not actually been burgled

mbr30
    Free Member

What are the police going to do? You said you had checked it and there was no signs if a break in. The police have no power or I bet desire to go into the property. You need to speak with the owner, not the emergency services.

Pook

….and burgled him.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Neighbours burgler alarm going off. Owt I can do?’ is closed to new replies.