• This topic has 112 replies, 48 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)
  • Neighbour trouble – what would you do?
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

Shit through his letterbox. That'll learn him.

Not yours though. DNA.

isnilloc
    Free Member

Buy another tree from the garden centre,

somehow attach it to the old stump!!!

That will DO the perpetrators HEAD RIGHT IN and maybe force is hand, at which point you could have some video surveillance going on…(webcam/pc)

let the babilon know before hand so if you do catch the **** you can present your findings without looking like a mentalist.

woody2000

nick – all the trees in that part of the garden are fruit trees already (except the now ex-eucalyptus!).

I've no idea when it happened, I spotted it missing when my parents came to see the house a couple of days ago.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ski
    Free Member

Sadly the Police will want proof as to who cut it down, my brother was lucky, caught them in the act and had other witnesses, otherwise it would not have got to court.

Or you could have some fun and stick this waving over the fence at him 😉

hora
    Free Member

Unless it was an attractive blossom tree or fruit tree. Just leave it.

For all you know he could have had an ongoing argument with the old owner with either side in the wrong. The roots could have been upsetting his wall etc etc.

Nothing came up about a dispute BTW?

I'd leave it, its not worth the hassle. The cutting off of the tree isn't symbollic of him castrating you.

For what its worth I've never had a bad relationship with any neighbours (bar one unsociable noise-type).

woody2000

Mark – we asked when we bought the house if there were any neighbour issues and were told not. The wall's mine, or at the very least a party wall.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I know it's not the end of the world i.e. a small tree being cut down, but I'm slightly worried that some people think it's kinda ok to have someone pop in to your back garden and chop a tree down because he or she doesn't like it being there? Seriously?

I'd at least call the cops about it – not so much for the grievous loss of a tree but just to let him know you're not going to be messed with in future.

holly
    Free Member

I would advise you to report it to the police.
    However I doubt very much you will get a response from them as it will just logged.
    I would think he climbed over your fence and I dont think he was seen doing it.
    I know this wont help but look on the bright side no other scrot will climb down this tree to nick your bikes.

Sorry chum its just one of those things.

You could get matey with him and say you were thinking of cutting down some of the others and which ones would he like done.

hora
    Free Member

How long are you planning on living there for?

You could have an informal chat with your community Police officer. Get it off your chest then leave it for now.

I don't think its worth the hassle, stress and thinking 'everytime I go into the garden is he watching me etc'

In those 5days he doesnt know you from Eve. He probably didnt know when you moved in exactly and just saw it as his opportunity before you did.

ski
    Free Member

If you call the Police, and report this?

Do you have to declare this, when you come to sell the proprerty?

Nick

Do you have to declare this, when you come to sell the proprerty?

Depends if you implicate the neighbour at all, otherwise it's just a bit of criminal damage.

woody2000

Mark – we'll be there for a long time (that's the plan anyway).

ski – I guess we'll be obliged to mention it when (if) we sell, yes. 🙁

sputnik
    Free Member

He did you a favour, Eucalyptus trees are shyte, nothing grows underneath them. And by the looks of it you have more than enough trees.

holly
    Free Member

I doubt that it will affect selling the property but I think your house insurance company may wish to know about this.
    Also find out if this tree is listed on your deeds because if it is someone could be in trouble.

Maybe his grass did not grow underneath it whilst it was up hence he cut it down.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

They attract koalas too.

woody2000

Sputnik – that's not really the point though, is it? I have more than one bike, but I wouldn't want someone to come and take one of them, would I.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

report to the police

tell you new neighbour to stay off your land in future and the police have noted that past criminal damage has been recorded

replace the tree with these

hora
    Free Member

Let is slide. Seriously. I know online I have a rep for confrontation and provoking however in at home I thrive on somewhere I can come home to and relax.

Saying that half (literally) our area knows us- constantly stopped when out and about and asked how bingo is, the missus, the little un etc etc so Im wondering do they have phone taps etc on our house 😕 😐

Seriously though, if it happened when you'd been living there a while- its out of order. In a way, you can see his thinking 'take the opportunity to get rid of the problem whilst no one is living there'.

i.e. It wasnt malicious damage. In a way, imagine you had a problem tree in a neighbours garden. They had their house up for sale (and they were **** to you)- noticed they'd moved out and thought 'right, nows my chance'.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

When he goes out, hop over the fence and pour weedkiller over his lawn in a pattern that spells out 'w@nker'.

That'll teach him.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The point is – it was trespass and criminal damage and whether or not he wanted the tree is a moot point – if the neighbour had a problem with it, he should have done the right thing and ASK.

I would be seriously ufcked off if someone cut down my one and only tree. Forget shitting in their letterbox, I would shit in their mouth.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

When he goes out, hop over the fence and pour weedkiller over his lawn in a pattern that spells out 'w@nker'.

Best suggestion so far! I like it.

Coyote
    Free Member

That'll teach him.

Sage advice that and perfectly reasonable. If the future you'll both probably share a beer and laugh about it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The point is – it was trespass and criminal damage and whether or not he wanted the tree is a moot point – if the neighbour had a problem with it, he should have done the right thing and ASK.

I would be seriously ufcked off if someone cut down my one and only tree. Forget shitting in their letterbox, I would shit in their mouth.

Yep, +1 for that.

It's easy to say "suck it up" but it's no way to be treated all the same.

hora
    Free Member

On a more sensible note though. Kill him. Use death (as its best for killing) to kill him

or

stand in the garden in full lycra wearing Rudy Project glasses making menacing gang signs towards him.

ski
    Free Member

As mentioned above Eucalyptus trees are vile, so he might have done you a favor, I would leave it tbh & if you do want a tree in its place, stick a family apple tree there in its place 😉

My brother went through hell for over a year with his neighbour, nearly moved because of it!

hora
    Free Member

What was wrong with your previous house? It looked nice (and in a good location).

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Did he remove the tree or leave it sitting on your lawn?

woody2000

o_k_s – left it there. Just cut it and left it where it was.

Mark – we had no garden, and choice of schools was poor. New house has 3 good schools in walking distance, and a garden for Jnrs to run around in 🙂

Boz is winning so far BTW! 🙂

chunkypaul
    Free Member

got a mate in a nice tree lined avenue in chester who, upon moving into this new house started tidying up the large garden, at the end was huge hedge (in poor condition) about 5m high but it is on his land

started pruning it (take the top 1m off) and the neighbour promptly threatened him with beating if he continued any further!

now this bloke is a fairly good natured teacher and his wifey a copper; so was a little taken back at he first contact with a neighbour whose garden simply backs on to his

lets just say the hedge has been pruned and contact not kept 🙂

some people can be c**ts – when all that is needed is a polite chat

rootes1
    Spankmonkey
    Free Member

I cannot beleive people say just leave it, its tresspass and criminal damage, regardless of if you were in the house or not, its no better than stealing … if someone disliked your wheels on your bike would it be ok for them to take them off?, would it be ok to steal orniments from someones garden??? no…. if he had a problem he should have spoken to you

But getting into a turf war is not a good idea if you have to live next to them, imho I would plant the same tree and see what happens, report to the police so if it happens again you have a record of it happening twice. Oh and leave a note by the new tree saying "your on camcorder, try it!"

woody2000

Ok, the rational part of my brain seems to have temporarily taken over so I'm going to do as suggested, report it to the Police then pop and see the neighbours and say "just to let you know, we had a tree damaged by vandals, so I've reported it to the Police. Keep your eyes open etc etc" or similar.

Then maybe write w*nker with weedkiller! 👿

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

rootes – that is utterly mad. How someone could get away with it is stunning.

RichPenny
    Free Member

some people can be c**ts – when all that is needed is a polite chat

Agreed, why didn't your mate have a chat first before starting the pruning. I know you don't need to if it's overhanging, but it is good manners…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

woody – that sounds a good compromise and I am sure you will get a good feel as to whether they did it as soon as you mention the police.

thegreatape
    Free Member

"just to let you know, we had a tree damaged by vandals, so I've reported it to the Police. Keep your eyes open etc etc" or similar.

Look him hard in the eye when you tell him though, so he knows that you know.

ski
    Free Member

I cannot beleive people say just leave it, its tresspass and criminal damage, regardless of if you were in the house or not, its no better than stealing … if someone disliked your wheels on your bike would it be ok for them to take them off?, would it be ok to steal orniments from someones garden??? no…. if he had a problem he should have spoken to you

Sure you can report it to the Police & they will investigate, but without witnesses or evidence that scummy neighbour did it, where does that leave you?

ski
    Free Member

Then maybe write w*nker with weedkiller!

Just make sure there are no witnesses 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Sure you can report it to the Police & they will investigate, but without witnesses or evidence that scummy neighbour did it, where does that leave you?

Because if anything else happens in the future, this event is already logged.

hora
    Free Member

I'm sure the Police would just mark it down as 'neighbour dispute'.

Heres a tip for the future. If you ever have a problem with a neighbour/dispute. Get your missus to call up and say she is worried/they have threatened you etc.

Watch the difference in how its handled.

You could also apply this to your neighbour. Send your missus round, he'll be polite. If hes rude you have ample grounds to go round then to speak hurt him.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Neighbour trouble – what would you do?’ is closed to new replies.