Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 154 total)
  • Neighbour trading cars from his home address….anything I can do?
  • santacruzsi
    Free Member

A few months ago we got new neighbours in the rented property next door. The bloke works for a car sales supermarket but lately there are more and more cars on his drive and on the road outside his and other people’s houses. I gather he is trading from the house and a quick search on Autotrader shows in fact he is. At the moment he has 5 pieces of shit parked all over the place. Maybe I’m getting territorial, but I’ve asked him nicely to move his vehicles and he’s not done so…so now to do it another way….any ideas ? ( besides burning them out!!!)

trail_rat
    Free Member

Do what the nice locals back home did to my mates garage ….. When for a brief 2 week spell he had more cars than space.

Went round and kicked both wing mirrors off all the cars……on the street and his forecourt just to make sure he got the message.

trail_rat
    Free Member

But seriously…. All taxed/tested/insured and on public road. = sweet fa you can do.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

They all appear to be using open source material. Tits.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Visit your local authority planning web site and report him for operating a business from a dwelling without planing permission.

tthew

Report him to the Inland Revenue.

somafunk

Cars on the road outside other peoples houses?…..that’s damn outrageous……..I’d fire off an email to the daily mail… i bet he’s smuggling illegal immigrants in the boot as well.

woody21
    Free Member

This was on MSE

s5 Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005

Exposing vehicles for sale on a road

(1)A person is guilty of an offence if at any time –

(a)he leaves two or more motor vehicles parked within 500 metres of each other on a road or roads where they are exposed or advertised for sale, or
    (b)he causes two or more motor vehicles to be so left.

(2) A person is not to be convicted of an offence under subsection (1) if he proves to the satisfaction of the court that he was not acting for the purposes of a business of selling motor vehicles.
    (3)A person guilty of an offence under subsection (1) is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 4 on the standard scale.

I believe that a level 4 fine is £2500.

Therefore if you’re going to start “buying and selling of cars from home” you’re going to need a home that features sufficient land to park the cars that you’re offering for sale, and if you want to transform your front garden into a car showroom you’re going to need planning permission.

I always thought that there was some legislation

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies so far folks. No immigrants seen in the boot so far….

tomd
    Free Member

If he’s renting the house he will almost certainly be breaking his lease by running a business from the house. If you know the land lord that is another option.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Advertise the same cars much cheaper elsewhere.. Copy and paste all the details on to somewhere that is free.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Cloudnine…..I like this idea!

geoffj

Advertise the same cars much cheaper elsewhere.. Copy and paste all the details on to somewhere that is free.

Filed for later use 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep, landlord will probably object and the clean neighborhood act seems another route.

Or the classic of as soon as the cars move get some skips ordered

Pook

Get a huge discount on a new car every couple of years??

peteimpreza

Do you know who the letting agency is?

Contact them with the details.

You can get the details of the house owner from the Land Registry for £6.

The agent and the owner just want to make money with no hassle. They don’t want bad tenants as its bad for business.

Start with a few polite emails to the agent.

loddrik
    Free Member

Call the local planning office. Needs consent to operate a business from.home address.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Definitely a breach of planning – this is assuming he is trading from home, he may of course claim he is just storing the cars there. Call the council they are obliged to follow this up. Also if he has a standard tenancy agreement it will almost certainly say he cannot conduct a business at the address – does the landlord use an agent or do you know him personally as an ex-neighbour ? You’ll have more joy if you can persuade other neighbours to complain. BTW do the autotrader ads say “trade” he cannot say “private” if he’s doing this as a business, so if so you can make more trouble with trading standards.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Would you prefer it if he was selling drugs?

Relax, life’s too short

konabunny
    Free Member

do you need a licence to deal cars in the UK? if so, complain to whoever hands them out.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

john_drummer – Member

Relax, life’s too short
    True, everything could be worse, always could be but to have someone clogging up a street with cars to flog is taking the piss really. There are a reasons you can’t just set car yards up in residential areas. People will always push their luck until somebody pushes back.

If you want to set up a car yard get somewhere with plenty of space.

robdob
    Free Member

Relax, life’s too short

Yeah it doesn’t matter if someone’s doing something illegal right next door, does it? Let’s just ignore the facts that he’s not paying his business rates, or abiding by planning regulations, or paying the correct taxes, or breaking his tenancy agreement, or creating hassle for all his neighbours, it doesn’t matter about rules which make it an easier and nicer country to live in! Let’s all do exactly what we want and expect people just to put up with it, ok?

Muppet.

batfink
    Free Member

I wonder if his employer knows he’s trading cars under his own name too? He might be creaming-off the best trade-ins and buying/selling them himself “off the books” so to speak.

As well as tipping-off the local council/tax man/landlord, might be worth telling his employer too. They might turn a blind eye to it, but it can’t hurt.

gooner69

Bet your Nellie they aren’t taxed! Since the tax is now refunded to the last owner.

Brother_Will
    Free Member

This will help you on the VED front https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk

squirrelking
    Free Member

1) You only pay business rates in commercial properties, home businesses are exempt.

2) The new VED law only apply to vehicles without a tax disc.

3) People are really advocating seriously **** someone over, potentially losing their home and livelihood for the sake of a few parked cars? Wow.

peteimpreza

@squirrelking

Yeah it doesn’t matter if someone’s doing something illegal right next door, does it? Let’s just ignore the facts that he’s not paying his business rates, or abiding by planning regulations, or paying the correct taxes, or breaking his tenancy agreement, or creating hassle for all his neighbours, it doesn’t matter about rules which make it an easier and nicer country to live in! Let’s all do exactly what we want and expect people just to put up with it, ok?

weeksy

3) People are really advocating seriously **** someone over, potentially losing their home and livelihood for the sake of a few parked cars? Wow.

This really… I mean… come on…. WTF is the world coming to when we’re shopping a bloke for making a few quid in a mostly legal way.

weeksy

Yeah it doesn’t matter if someone’s doing something illegal right next door, does it? Let’s just ignore the facts that he’s not paying his business rates, or abiding by planning regulations, or paying the correct taxes, or breaking his tenancy agreement, or creating hassle for all his neighbours, it doesn’t matter about rules which make it an easier and nicer country to live in!

The OP doesn’t actually care about taxes, or rates, or agreements, only about a couple of cars parked there. The other things are just nice for him so he can justify being a tool.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So he was asked nicely to move the cars, didn’t bother and not interested. It’s a public road not a place of business, it’s not on to hog the road to make a few quid on the side. I guess those who don’t mind will be OK when I park 12 cars outside your house for a few weeks.

weeksy

mikewsmith – Member

So he was asked nicely to move the cars, didn’t bother and not interested. It’s a public road not a place of business, it’s not on to hog the road to make a few quid on the side. I guess those who don’t mind will be OK when I park 12 cars outside your house for a few weeks

I agree it’s not right… but there’s ways and means… I seriously despair about STWers at times. One of these days i’ll come on to read “My neighbour keeps going out on his bike at 6am and his footsteps on the gravel wake me up, what can I do about it”

Or other such gems….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Most of the suggestions just give the OP some leverage when he suggests that the cars get moved or….
    Partly rules are there to stop people being anti social and help those that it impacts. If the guy selling the cars doesn’t know the rules the he should.

batfink
    Free Member

Actually…. I hate inconsiderate people. This guy knows he’s being inconsiderate, he just doesn’t care. Got it coming IMO.

weeksy

mikewsmith – Member

Most of the suggestions just give the OP some leverage when he suggests that the cars get moved or….
    Partly rules are there to stop people being anti social and help those that it impacts. If the guy selling the cars doesn’t know the rules the he should.

So we’re agreed, the OP doesn’t care he’s selling cars, only that they’re parked outside his house, the the offender moved them 1/2 a mile away the OP wouldn’t actually care.

mrmoofo

Happened to me – be thankful that is is just 5. Ours acquired about 20 … and parked them around the village.
    There is actually nothing you can do – so the parish council found out.

Thankfully, we have now moved

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Probably a question for the OP that one my psychic skills are busy seeking lottery numbers

Pigface
    Free Member

Edit

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’d have a word and ask that they move them, thankfully we all have huge detached houses with swimming pools and Kylie pops round for a beer every few weeks.

Inconsiderate neighbours are everywhere, they will just carry on until somebody points out they are taking the piss.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Nice edit…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 154 total)

The topic ‘Neighbour trading cars from his home address….anything I can do?’ is closed to new replies.