Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Neighbour taking an interest in my woodstore
  • Stoner
    Free Member

One of last year’s juveniles. As good a shot as I can get with a £90 f8 500mm mirror lens! It’s like taking photos through a pyrex caserole 😀

GrahamS

Big Robins round your way 😯

Stoner
    Free Member

You should see the burning ostriches.

peterfile
    Free Member

Get a cat for it to eat.

oldnpastit

senorj

Mice/rats in the wood store? 😐
    Good neighbour to have. 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

We have some peregrines just a few miles away. I used to live within 400 yrds of their nest.

Just seen the sparrowhawk come through on a strafing run as well. Low level, high speed manoeuvres or what! He’ll often fly through the lower gap in a 5 bar gate, or along the path between the veg beds at 1′ off the deck! 😯

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I reckon that’s a Goshawk, not a Sparrowhawk.

Stoner
    Free Member

?

That (^ up there) is a buzzard.

The sparrowhawk is another neighbour.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

And there was me thinking that my ornithology wasn’t so bad :] Oh well, at least it’s defintely not a Sparrowhawk!

wrecker
    Free Member

I often see a very flappy, hovery BOP over the central reservation on the M5 towards Somerset. Is it likely to be a sparrowhawk?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

?

That (^ up there) is a buzzard.

The sparrowhawk is another neighbour.

That’s never a Buzzard, it’s a Golden Eagle.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

I often see a very flappy, hovery BOP over the central reservation on the M5 towards Somerset. Is it likely to be a sparrowhawk?

Kestrel, shirley?

cr500dom
    Free Member

wrecker –

If its Hovering Its most likely a kestrel, and it`ll be looking at/for mouse wee 😀

wrecker
    Free Member

Kestrel! Thanks!

CountZero

Kestrel.

That’s never a Buzzard, it’s a Golden Eagle.

Known as a Tourist Eagle, down here in the South. 😀

andyl
    Free Member

We have a couple of buzzard families around here. Get to watch them teaching their young to hunt.

You know when they are around as it’s very quiet with all the small birds hiding silent in the trees and the occasional pigeon bolting at low level between trees.

wrecker
    Free Member

I saw a big crow thing attacking two Buzzards at Afan last weekend. The Buzzard was doing some impressive evasive maneuvers but didn’t look like it was having a good time. I was captivated and must have watched for 20 minutes!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You want to be careful it doesn’t mistake you for a small tree and build a nest in your beard. 😀

stevied
    Free Member

We have some peregrines just a few miles away

Are they the ones on the cliff off OW road? If so, I sat and watched one of them for ages a couple of weeks ago.. :mrgreen:

And my mum gets a sparrowhawk in her garden stealing blue tits off the nuts. Very cool to see..

kayak23

Got a Gopro? Stick it on’t shed…

Stoner
    Free Member

Theyre not on the OW road, further North but same side.

Once found a headless racing pigeon in my courgettes thanks to them 🙂

No gopro, but I do have some v expensive fancy binoculars which make watching him (and his brother was perched on the fence 5 years to the right a little later on) better than TV.

Pigface
    Free Member

Crows mob BOP’s all the time. When I lived in Pontywaun used to walk the dog up the scenic drive every evening. Saw a pair of buzzards rear quite a few chicks. The trail from the bottom carpark to the gatehouse goes right under their tree.

Used to see loads of bald eagles when I worked in Alaska, freaking huge things.

stevied
    Free Member

Theyre not on the OW road, further North but same side.

Hmmm, further North you say. Looked like the one I saw was nesting on WMin Rd

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Any spiritual experiences with the bald eagles Piggie? 😆

Stoner
    Free Member

I suppose there could be other nesting pairs round here, but the “better known” pair always breed on the same wall further north each year.

ahwiles
    Free Member

baby peregrines in sheffield!

webcam link

Stoner
    Free Member

🙁 no nest cam for the ones in worcester at the moment.

Only the kestrels. It is a live feed though which is cool.

http://www.worcester.gov.uk/peregrine/

cr500dom
    Free Member

Norwich Cathedral has nesting Peregrine Falcons on the spire of the Tower, fabulous things. 4 eggs and 2 hatched so far this year.
    Last year they had 3 hatch, 2 of which survived to adulthood

Pigface
    Free Member

😆 Darcy funny you should mention that, we were in a bar in Cordova which was by the fishing boat harbour. Everyone was watching a game of basketball which to me is like watching paint dry. As I was gazing out of the window a bald eagle swooped down between the pontoons and grabbed a fish. I was gobsmacked 😀 looked round and no one else had seen it. To be honest you saw stuff like that every day.

andyl
    Free Member

I saw a big crow thing attacking two Buzzards at Afan last weekend. The Buzzard was doing some impressive evasive maneuvers but didn’t look like it was having a good time. I was captivated and must have watched for 20 minutes!

had a lot of that lately as they are protecting the nests. Impressive how a bird that is about half the size will see it off as it’s got more to lose.

CountZero

I’ve watched crows and even smaller birds mobbing buzzards for years; the buzzards always seem to have an almost resigned air about them, like they’re thinking, “oh, for God’s Sake, just give it a rest, you’re too much hassle. Now where’s the roadkill…”
    Oddly enough, I’ve seen crows and other birds mobbing ravens, too, but too far away to get any sort of quality photo.

molgrips
    Free Member

Cardif musem has a peregrine cam pointed at the city hall btw, if anyone’s nearby.

andyl
    Free Member

they do just kind of mull around the skies. It’s great watching them go in for the kill on something though.

Always seem to have a close encounter when I have forgotten my camera.

Trying to remember what bird it was we saw sitting on a stone wall with a squirrel in it’s mouth last year during lambing. Was so excited I forgot I was in the estate and not the pickup or mule and grounded out the bumper pulling over to watch 😀

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Neighbour taking an interest in my woodstore’ is closed to new replies.