Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Neighbour issue, shared fence cost.
  • King-ocelot
    Free Member

Hello,
    Our back garden boundary is shared with our neighbour, the deeds state we are responsible for the left at the front if the property but the rear is shared. The shared fence has been demolished in the recent winds. Next door is rented so I contacted the landlady and offered her 2 options.

1) she buys materials (approx £250) and I will supply labour, (me, dad – retired builder & mate who was a fencer)

2) I got a quote off fencer (mentioned above) £500

She has then decided her relative can have the job for £750 and we will be splitting cost. I have told her its too much and we need to agree on price, but she has informed me that’s what ‘we’ are doing. She hasn’t answered her phone since I spoke to her on Monday. Last time we spoke she accused me of trying to haggle and being crass, she said ‘her minds made up’.

I am planning on putting in writing we didn’t agree mutually on this work etc.
    anyone have any experience of these kind of boundary issues.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Tell her to whistle!

timbur
    Free Member

Tell her that if she has a fence put up on her property that she will pay and that it needs to be on her side of the ownership as it won’t be shared anymore, not on the party line.
    Put it in writing for future discussions.
    Simples!

trail_rat
    Free Member

her relitives more likely doing the job for 375 – approximately the cost of your half 😉

landlord lady pays nothing.

timbur
    Free Member

Oh, make sure she gets her relative to take the old fence away.
    It’s bloody expensive commercially to dispose of them now. £45 per ton down my way.

wrightyson
    Free Member

How big was the fence to require tonnage figures 😯

winston_dog
    Free Member

She’s taking the piss!

matt_outandabout

We do shared work on our building and three quotes are always sought.

timbur
    Free Member

Minimum dump is one ton :O(

(oo er)

sharkbait
    Free Member

Put it in writing that you’ll pay her £250 being half the quote you got and stick to it.
    Nothing she can do from that point on. Even if she took you to court she’d be laughed at.

Cougar

Tell her you’ve changed your mind, you’ve arranged for a landscape gardener to erect an ornate trellis and shrubbery arrangement, he’ll be arriving on Monday and the cost will be £7,000. You will ensure that she receives an invoice for half of the cost.

Ridiculous state of affairs, she can’t just arrange for work to be carried out on your behalf and then present you with a bill. What if you went round one morning and mowed her lawn, then turned up on her doorstep demanding fifty quid?

You have the answer, of course. Tell her you do not consent to this work carried out and if her “mind’s made up” then she must erect any structures on her side of the boundary and absorb those costs herself. Mutual payment = mutual agreement. Write a letter, send it recorded delivery.

Cougar

Put it in writing that you’ll pay her £250 being half the quote you got and stick to it.

That’s probably a better idea, actually. “Do what you like, this is the contribution I’m prepared to offer.”

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. I’ve drafted a letter and just keeping it all in writing. It’s a shame it’s ended up this way over a fence, but want to keep good relations with the tennants who are no bother.

johndoh
    Free Member

Oh, make sure she gets her relative to take the old fence away.

Or stick it on Freecycle and someone’ll soon be around.

mudshark
    Free Member

Are the fence solutions proposed the same? My neighbour replaced ours with a more expensive option with concrete posts and bottom boards. But yeah, I assume she’s trying to get one over on you.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I don’t know what her solution is. Mine was for feather edge. When we spoke initially we agreed that it should be like this so it was in keeping with the other sides. I rang another fencer today and described the job he estimated over the phone ‘£550 tops, without seeing it but seems a straight forward job’ landlady just taking piss.

johndoh
    Free Member

Just tell her that the two quotes you have had in are significantly lower than hers and you do not accept it. Re-offer original amount and no more.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Neighbour issue, shared fence cost.’ is closed to new replies.