Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Needle Roller Shock Bushes
  • Jordan

Anyone used em? Do they make a noticeable difference? Do they last long compared to other offerings?

Jordan

Anybody?

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I’m using one on a Horst link set up which was going through du bushes fairly quickly and it’s lasted nearly a year so far and isn’t showing any sign of slop yet. Is being used with a BETD heavy duty stainless ‘strong bush’.

crofts2007
    Free Member

Running the RWC needle bearing on my DW 5 Spot, it makes it a lot quicker to respond, i.e. less stiction at the start of the travel.
    Works well in conjunction with the bushing system the spot runs.
    Noticed a difference over the DU bush originally fitted.

lowey

Running the BETD one on my HL spot. Its completed bolloxed. Wouldnt get another.

Jordan

Interesting, two for and one against. Thanks for the input guys.In theory they should respond quicker and I hoped they would have good longevity.

@lowey – how long did yours last and what type of riding has it endured?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I have the RWC ones on my flux – seems to be lasting ok – makes the suspension plusher for smaller hits.

…it makes it a lot quicker to respond, i.e. less stiction at the start of the travel.

More like a placebo effect. If it costs more, it must be better.

What angle does a shock bush rotate through ?
    If you try bolting your shock on with one bolt, how much effort does it take to rotate the shock around that bolt ?

GW
    Free Member

depends on the link, some FSRs about 90deg, single pivots usually much less, some V/multi pivots a bit more.

it’s about time linkage driven bikes had a proper bearing mount in the link IMO (bushings could still be used to fit the shock, but wouldn’t wear so quickly)

crofts2007
    Free Member

@ MTG, it came with the original shock on the bike, so the cost element is not applicable in this instance.
    Rotation is probably around 20 degrees.
    More effort is required with the du bush in situ than the needle roller bearing.
    I have tried with both on the bike so can speak from experience.
    The RWC ones come with better seals than the BETD kits, apparently, so should last longer.

Jordan

Is there a UK supplier for the RWC ones? I just did a quick google and only came up with a US supplier.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Had a BETD one on the lower shock mount on my 2004 Enduro. Worked ok, I didn’t die, but TBH couldn’t notice much difference.
    I would say this was when BETD first started doing them, and the sealing wasn’t great.
    Have gone back to a strong bush and the plastic bushings now.

OK, if it’s got better seals and you expect it to last longer,it’s probably worth it.
    It’s just that if a shock is there as a damper, I don’t see how a tiny bit of extra friction damping from a bush can do any harm.

Jordan

@MTG I guess it would be most noticeable on the small stuff.

retro83
    Free Member

Yes, they work very well. More sensitive to small bumps. I’ve had to go back to bushings on my new shock though, as the eyelet seems to be undersized and the bearing won’t rotate properly. 🙁

Jordan – Member

Is there a UK supplier for the RWC ones? I just did a quick google and only came up with a US supplier.

No idea, but Chris at RWC/Enduro is great to deal with. Top fella, really can’t do enough to help.

cookeaa

I think the idea that bearings are always a “superior” choice over a bush for all applications is cobblers.

High loads, small angular movements, relatively small cross section shafts (8-10mm) and lots of shite and water? Bushes still make sense…

Needle rollers add very little advantage for a pretty high cost…

Onzadog
    Free Member

It’s ironic that Turner owners (I can say that, I own one) look to use rolling element bearins on the shock when the frames are famous for one of the best aplications of a bush seen in the industry.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Needle Roller Shock Bushes’ is closed to new replies.