Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)
  • Need to Vent
  • timrobinson229
    Free Member

As a new dad (5 months in) and a doctor you did everything right. They are in good hands, enjoy the great times ahead….

augustuswindsock

How’s it going a day on funkmasterp?

funkmasterp

He’s been taken off the glucose drip as his blood sugar has stabilised. The incubator has gone and they are checking regularly to make sure his temperature is stable. Feeding is the only worry. They may have to put a tube in if his intake doesn’t improve.

Mum and Dad both got some sleep and food last night and today. It’s amazing the difference it can make 🙂

Thanks for asking.

CountZero

😀
    Good news, good luck.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Pleased everything’s going pretty good matey! Those PICU & HDU nurses are awesumz aren’t they?
    Biased opinion cos I’m married to one!

augustuswindsock

Delighted to hear it fmp, sounds like his going in the right direction, give him a big hug from all of us!

funkmasterp

Pleased everything’s going pretty good matey! Those PICU & HDU nurses are awesumz aren’t they?

They really are. Everbody from the Doctors, nurses and the support staff and cleaners have been amazing.

funkmasterp

[quoteJust had a 28 weeker. Been in an incubator for weeks.[/quote]

How is your little one doing, hope he or she it’s improving?

doug_basqueMTB.com

Glad it’s getting better. We had something similar though not as extreme and it’s hard. The job those people do is amazing, when I have money I will be making some sort of gesture. Ours wouldn’t feed, wasn’t very responsive and got taken in and onto a drip, Mum couldn’t leave the bed so I was down there all beardy and highlandish trying to talk to nurses in Spanish and look like I knew what I was doing holding a sick baby. It was a few long, long days and then everything got better. Thoughts go out for you but seriously those people will look after everything, although it sounds like he is also lucky to have a dad who knows what he is doing. I hope things sort themselves out quickly and you can get home and start enjoying life inside the baby bubble!
    Typing one handed as my chubby wee monster is sucking my arm waiting for her bottle! A funny story from our experience… Our was born at 10lbs, in the intensive care all the other babies were less than half that. The looks we got were hilarious, I honestly think people thought wtf is that thing doing here, is it going to eat the the babies!

Kryton57

He starts really screaming and his breathing had changed, so we took him to A and E. His blood sugar wasn’t even reading. On the way to the paediatric ward he became unresponsive, went limp and was barely breathing. I had to run to the ward clutching my first baby thinking he was going to die.

That happened to my son, and is how we discovered he was allergic to diary. He’s fine now, and 5. It also happened to my 1yo daughter last December 27th, we are working with Great Ormond Street to find out why in her case, as she’s fine with diary. Because it’s unresolved I currently find it hard to sleep at night worrying that she might seize while I’m asleep and I can’t help her. TBH I’m shit scared on a daily basis and I can’t believe it’s happened with both our kids.

What others have said are correct, they are tougher than you think, and the nurses and medics are very very capable at looking after them. Your little un is in the right place. Good luck fella, I’m sure you little un will be fine and keeping you awake for all the right reasons. Be strong for them.

duckman

Ace news.

funkmasterp

Kryton57, I really hope you find out what’s causing issues for your daughter.

Dougbasque, your comment made me chuckle. Chubby babies are the cutest ones though.

He’s started to have small issues with his oxygen levels again. Just spent time calming my partner down. Can’t begin to imagine how it’s been on her. Just been hugging and reassuring her. Will try and get a midwife to come and check up on her soon.

Thanks once again all for the concern, posts and moral support

bradley
    Free Member

Hey.

All the best mate, once they start taking the aid equipment away its onwards and upwards.

My second was born at 33 weeks unexpectedly. Let me just say, if we had 15 minutes of traffic, she wouldve been born in the car. On intensive care for 3 weeks after birth with feeding tube and all the other gadgets.

We managed to take her home with the feeding tube still in use as its really not a massive task. Where are you? Keep pushing for home tube feeding scheme if it comes to that.

Youll treasure him SO much when you’re home, sometimes whispering things to him to tell him how precious he is…I certainly did with mine 😀

jam-bo

Just had a 28 weeker. Been in an incubator for weeks. Shit happens.

27+5er here. Its a rollercoaster and some of the hardest days of my life.

Hope you all come out the other end alright.

bradley
    Free Member

During the 3 weeks ours had ups and downs with various things. Oxygen levels, temperature, gaining weight, losing weight. They monitor it all so closely, they dont miss anything.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

sometimes whispering things to him to tell him how precious he is

Hell, yes! I remember standing on the Atlantic coast, with Little Miss CFH in my arms. I told her how much she means to me, while the waves broke. She looked at me with her stunning blue eyes and smiled. She was six months old at the time. Could she have known what I was saying? Who knows.

Stay strong. It will be worth every tiny little bit of effort.

bearnecessities

Fantastic news, made my day that. Nice work on Mum reassurance too despite your own stresses.

They may have to put a tube in if his intake doesn’t improve.

I had that, plus another one to breathe – chicks dig scars so don’t worry if that happens 😀

mrblobby
    Free Member

Babies are incredibly tough little buggers. If ours is anything to go by he’ll hopefully totally surprise you by going from not being very well at all to awake, alert and ready to go home in the space of a day!

Hang in there, keep talking to the missus, and keep us all posted. Already looking forward to the post where you tell us all you’re taking him home.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Thinking of you all. Our first couldn’t get oxygen levels up and ended up in theHDU. It was a weird feeling, one min ute you have your new baby n your arms, the next she is whipped away from you.

Hope all is going in the right direction as it did for us.

Pigface
    Free Member

All my best wishes to the three of you.

project
    Free Member

Best wishes to you three, nice name EBEN

funkmasterp

Had a minor freak out earlier as he wouldn’t wake to feed and didn’t kick off at all when nappy changing. Lovely Doctor came in, took a good look and said you’ve only seen him ill / agitated, you may just have a lazy baby. Now setting alarm to prod him awake for the next feed.

Became obsessed with the bloody heart rate / oxygen level meter too. Oxygen kept dropping and setting the alarm off. Turns out they’re a tad unreliable!

Can’t believe the support you guys are giving. I’ve been showing my partner some of the posts and she was shocked (in a good way) at how supportive strangers on the internet can be.

Best wishes to all who are going through similar or worse. Can’t wait to post a picture of my son from his home.

bearnecessities

Pics from home will be great, but don’t rush it fella. Just be there for Missus (as you are doing), post random thoughts on here and when money-bucket is home, then post a pic and we’ll all get a bottle of something out to toast you all.

Kryton57

How’s it going this morning OP? Hopefully all good.

zokes
    Free Member

That’s fatherhood. There is no other feeling like it.

As a new father, I concur. I’m sobbing just fro reading the OP!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Became obsessed with the bloody heart rate / oxygen level meter too. Oxygen kept dropping and setting the alarm off. Turns out they’re a tad unreliable!

A week in hospital listening to those and the IV monitors going off every few minutes all night almost drove me nuts 🙁

Got a week old miss blobby jr at home here and she is quite lethargic, needs a good stirring to wake up for feeding a lot of the time. It’s not unusual apparently!

zokes
    Free Member

Got a week old miss blobby jr at home here and she is quite lethargic, needs a good stirring to wake up for feeding a lot of the time. It’s not unusual apparently!

Yes, miniZ seemed to be a narcoleptic when it came to feeding. She seems well enough three weeks later…

Kryton57

A week in hospital listening to those and the IV monitors going off every few minutes all night almost drove me nuts

Miss Kryton Jnrs was the same. After 2 days I’d worked out the difference between a genuine alarm and the ability to reset a false one myself.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I did end up resetting my boys one quite a few times but the other three babies on the ward… 🙁

jam-bo

A week in hospital listening to those and the IV monitors going off every few minutes all night almost drove me nuts

108 days has burnt those alarms into my subconscious. I can hear them from 100yds away.

Hope things are improving.

pocketrocket
    Free Member

It’s reading posts like these that puts life into perspective.

If I’ve had a rough day at work or something’s not quite gone to plan, I’ll occasionally have a moan to the missus about never having any good luck, blah, blah, blah.

The fact is, I’ve got 3 wonderful healthy kids who have never really given me any health concerns. Granted 2 of them had to have assisted births but that was it. As I said, the OP and some of the others that followed makes me appreciate just how lucky I am.

Great news on the improvements with Eben’s condition btw, this time next year you’ll probably be praying for him to sit quietly and give you 5 minutes peace! 😀

funkmasterp

Overwhelmed by the kindness shown by you all. More good news today! Eben has been for another X-Ray and it showed, what was described as sprinkles of salt throughout his lungs.

This is either an infection or michonium(?) swallowed by him. He was covered in the stuff when he arrived. The midwife said he was the dirtiest baby she had seen in years.

He has so much more colour now, is feeding better and is really alert. Mum has been getting more rest too.

I know I keep mentioning it, but I am genuinely moved by the kindness you have all shown.

augustuswindsock

Fantastic news, you can breathe now if you want!!! Pop some photos on when you get chance!

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Great news. Kids bring out the best and worst emotions (as in they bring you such happiness, and occasionally they worry the hell out of you).

Pop some photos on when you get chance!

Agree, everyone loves a baby picture

noteeth
    Free Member

Those PICU & HDU nurses are awesumz aren’t they?

I lived with a couple of PICU nurses for a few years – they were by far the messiest women I’ve ever met. Washing-up would approach bio-hazard critical levels before it was addressed, the contents of untidy bedrooms would spread far and wide, personal lives & love affairs in constant disarray, etc etc.

But I never felt the slightest inclination to take ’em to task, despite the unending domestic chaos. However grim a shift I had at work (‘adult’ nursing), it was nothing compared to what they faced on a bad day. I sure as hell wasn’t going to ask them to tidy up. 😀

OP – it might not feel like it right now, but you’ll draw strength from these days. All the best to you and your new family.

kimbers

top news funkmasterp

now that the littleuns on the up, I can say this as it wouldve been in poor taste before

but you shouldve called the thread

‘need to vent(ilate)’

igmc

funkmasterp

That made me laugh Kimbers! How do you actually post pictures on here? Staying awake tonight and doing the little guys late feeds. My missus is shattered from the past few days and I am concerned about her mental state. Concerns will be raised, but I think sleep is a good start.

ds3000
    Free Member

Hi, I’ve been following your story for the last couple of days – I’m so glad your little one seems to be doing better, as has been noted they are strong little buggers. By recognising how sick he was and getting him to the hossie you saved him, kudos to you my man.

Sleep is good, gives the body and mind time to reboot..

My thoughts are with you, I’ll keep looking out for your updates…

Dave

mrblobby
    Free Member

Keep talking to the missus, it’s a seriously tough time for mums and they can be all over the place emotionally even without added complications. Hope she’s doing ok.

freeagent
    Free Member

Another one here who can identify with what you are going through..

First daughter was born via unplanned C-Section, and all was good. I went home for a shower and came back to hospital to find she’d been rushed into SCBU due to her blood sugar level plummeting. It was very scary at the time but you’ll be surprised how quickly you get your head around it when they are on the mend.

Our second daughters arrival was a different story altogether..
    My wife went into labor a month early, and all was good (baby was just about to pop out) when my wife started feeling some crazy pain down one side (had an epidural in but it wasn’t working) I thought she was having a stroke.. and then the baby went into distress, with an irregular, faint heart beat.
    The next thing I knew we were running down the corridor to Theatre, as my wife went through the doors I was told to get some scrubs on, and they’d give me a shout when I could go in.
    I got gowned up, and waited, and waited..
    after almost an hour sitting on a plastic chair outside theatre I’d pretty much convinced myself that one or both of them were dead..
    Then a group of nurses wheeled an incubator containing a tiny baby out of theatre, and said all was good with the baby, and ‘someone would be out to talk to you about your wife in a minute’

I slumped back into the chair, convinced she had died on the table.
    another 30 minutes passed, and them a team of people wheeled my wife out of theatre on a bed.
    She was still asleep, but still alive.
    The first thing the obstetric surgeon said was ‘don’t have anymore kids’
    He then went onto explain that my wife’s previous C-section scar had given way during delivery, and the baby had literally fallen out of the uterus inside her, and was drowning in blood.
    On a scale of 1-10 for measuring signs of life, the baby had measured 1/10 and needed to be resuscitated repeatedly to bring her back to life.

My wife had over 200 stiches, two blood transfusions and 3 days in HDU.

Our Daughter spent 8 days in SCBU, and had her stomach pumped 15 times due to it being full of blood.
    She was starved of oxygen for 8 minutes, but thankfully there was no lasting damage.

The doctors told us that statistically there was only a 1 in 300 chance that both mother and baby would have survived that situation, and it was the first 100% success they’d had at that hospital.

My daughters are now 6 and 3, and you’d never know there had been any issues with either.

Sorry to hijack your post, but it is still good to talk.
    Cheers and good luck,

Matt.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Need to Vent’ is closed to new replies.