Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Need to lose some weight
  • bearnecessities

..and off the bike.

I’m only looking at chainset & forks though – don’t want to change anything else.

Chainset is a Raceface Ride XC and forks are SID RLC, both 2011.

I was thinking World Cups for the front, and maybe an XT chainset, but is there much to be gained and are there any better suggestions? (“No” is an acceptable suggestion)

RustyMac

Surely the sid’s have got to be pretty light weight as they are. Is there anything wrong with them – damage etc that Would give further reason to change them?

Instead of splashing a load on the forks could look into going 1 or 2x 10?

bearnecessities

No, sids are 100% immaculate – just fancied dropping a bit of weight, off the front as bike doesn’t feel balanced. Also, bit unsure whether the chainset is weighty or not.

I’m not particularly up on current tech though, hence no/be happy with what you have is ok to hear! I’d like to think I could lose 1/3 lb off the front, but maybe I can’t without spending silly money.

nikk
    Free Member

You need to go look up the weight of your current parts, and the weight of the replacement parts, then figure out the savings.

I doubt you’ll be able to save much weight over the SIDs without going rigid.

What about your tyres? Tubes? Even wheels? They are the places to start.

bearnecessities

Thanks Nikk. Everything else doesn’t have any weight to be lost on, without serious changes.

It’s just the Forks & Chainset I was pointing the finger at and looking for a *clears throat* ‘quick win’ , but if they’re already light in comparison to other options, I’ll just suck it up.

Front does feel oddly weighty though for 100mm; maybe it’s just me!

br
    Free Member

Ashima rotors?

njee20
    Free Member

Trouble is the SID WCs are only available jn the UK in XX guise, which adds 60g over a crown mounted lockout, and you need an expander bung for the steerer, and the RS one is heavy. On paper it’s quite a saving, in reality it’s <50g. Considering the exorbitant price of the WCs, I’d not bother.

Put all the money into a Race Face Next SL chainset.

bearnecessities

Thanks, that’s useful to know. I’ll stick with forks then.

Last question if you wouldn’t mind: is the chainset a heavy beast, or like the forks, is there negligible difference to be had over say, 2011 XT, same as the groupset (I’m not going to spend £300 on a chainset, as nice as those SLs look!)

dantsw13

try the X0 cranks on On-One for £149. The pic is of a 1×10, but it is a double. If you can live with 170mm cranks, they are an absolute steal, and pretty light.

daveh
    Free Member

A quick google search suggests there’s 300 to 500g to go at in the chainset, if you embrace carbon.

bearnecessities

Oh now that is tempting….thanks Dave. I’ll get googling!

njee20
    Free Member

(I’m not going to spend £300 on a chainset, as nice as those SLs look!)

But you were looking at £900 forks…? The X.0s are a good deal though.

bearnecessities

But you were looking at £900 forks

Bloody hell no, second hand!!

fr0sty125
    Free Member

You would save about 100g with a chainset if you are running triple and go to double xt.

I think the biggest thing would be going 1×10 you would save about 300g on leavers and front mech. If you go for for an xo or xtr and a NW that will save an extra 250g.

If you are running a crap cassette like deore then an xt will be 100g lighter.

bearnecessities

Hmm, thanks everyone. Getting the idea I should just stick with forks & chainset as they are really as no great gains to be had.

Thanks though; useful advice.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Need to lose some weight’ is closed to new replies.