Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • need to get house broadband in the workshop… cheaply!
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i want to get a signal in my workshop, house wifi system does not reach. i use the electric plug things with ethernet cables in the house where the signal will not reach, and i have a spare i could just plug in but its for my phone so need a wireless signal.

anyone know of a super cheap option? its only to get iplayer and post the odd work in progress piccie to facebook etc.

scotroutes

Some of the mains plug-in type have a wireless modem built in.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Those powerline plug things have wifi versions. Otherwise you can plug a wifi access point into the regular wired versions.

kcal

If you’re serious about it could simply run a shielded CAT5/6 cable to work shed – that’s what I’ve got — then use a wireless access point if necessary in the shed. Depending on distance, you might manage to hook up a wireless access point within the house and position it in line of sight of the shed?

nickjb
    Free Member

You could try a cantenna

marcus
    Free Member

I’ve got a length of cheap CAT 5 inside a hosepipe running up the side of my garden to my office – Its about 75m long and runs on the other side of the garden to the mains power. No problems so far.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Whack in a powerline plug in the workshop and then put a wireless bridge on the end of it, job done.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

You must have a big garden or a poor wireless setup……

5thElefant
    Free Member

You must have a big garden or a poor wireless setup……

You must have a tiny garden and a house made of paper! 😯

I’ve got three access points (two in the house, one in the shed). You can only access one point at a time and one of those is marginal in one room.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Funny I have 2 foot thick stone walls and the wireless hub in the worse location in the house yet still pick it up everywhere in the house and 30 metres away down the Garden.

messiah
    Free Member

Older thread.

I used an old BT home hub as I mention on this older thread – worked a treat.

unovolo
    Free Member
    gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

Granite house! It’s a new sky super fast thing. I do need to call sky about it in truth and have a whinge. They said it would be better coverage than the old one. It’s worse.

samuri
    Free Member

I have one of the D-Link extenders a bit like the one shown above because our study is shielded in some way and the router wireless can’t seem to get out.

Works great.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

okay if you have the powerplugs hardware and it works it shouldn’t be too hard to pick up a wireless access point that will work (some are more configurable than others) there are plenty of old broadband routers lying around that would do the job, (try frecycle or similar, If I was home I have one you could have for the cost of postage) it’s just finding out how to set it up correctly..

woody2000

Use your existing powerplug adapter, and a TPLink nano router hanging off it acting as a wireless AP.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WR702N-Wireless-Extender-Set-top/dp/B006PYGWG6

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I use an Apple Airport Express to extend the home network to my shed via a plug-in network power plug thingy I had spare. There’s a bit of a trick to it if you don’t have an Apple router (you basically replicate the wi-fi network rather than use the Express as an extender) but gives the advantage of being able to Airplay music from my iPhone when I’m tinkering in the shed since I’ve got some cheap computer speakers plugged into it too. Handy for those long and awkward maintenance jobs.

Not the cheapest way of doing it I must confess, but I like having wireless music. I can even open the shed doors in summer, crank up the speakers and control the music from the iPhone whilst tending the BBQ and drinking a beer in the garden 😀

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i think i’m going to try and use my old sky sagemcom router as an extender, have found some instructions on a forum… what can possibly go wrong! ; )

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

well, seems to be working although won’t be able to test in the workshop until tomorrow, but looking good and what a brilliant bit of redundant tech recycling. i can’t believe how close i can to throwing this away the other month, and how close to spending cash unnecessarily.

here’s the info i used it if will help anyone…

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/asking-help/41883-how-connect-two-routers-together.html

oldboy
    Free Member

Hard wired Ethernet connection every time. If you want stable broadband; forget Homeplugs, wireless and all the other girlie solutions!

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

tested in the workshop, homeplug type thing into tweaked old sky modem via a pile of extension cables from the garage as the workshop is not wired in yet. works perfectly. lovely signal.

duffmiver
    Free Member
    messiah
    Free Member

Congrats gavtheoldskater – makes you feel like THE MAN when you can recycle old tech stuff you were about to throw out 🙂

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘need to get house broadband in the workshop… cheaply!’ is closed to new replies.