Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Need to get away for a few days – recommend me a nice long ride in the South
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

In need of head space, am looking to spend 2-5 days in the saddle possibly next week but am not sure in which direction to head.

I’d be starting around the Surrey Hills and am considering following the Downs Link to the south coast and then following the coast either East or West (despite impending weather forecast doom).

Can anyone recommend an alternative direction/route. Ideally lots of nice scenery, quiet/few roads.

Ill be riding a steel tourer/hybrid with X tyres (On-One Pompetamine).

Access to cheap cozy b&b’s required.

slimjim78
    Free Member

or can anyone rent me a nice holiday gite on the north coast of france?..

IanW
    Free Member

Took a day in the south downs recently and found it a tad too busy (with cars) for my liking. Certainly busier than my normal haunt of Suffolk.

I have had some nice days in the Chilterns both on and off road, but swap either of these places for a trip to Northern France given the chance and good deal on the crossing.

richardthird

Living in Sussex I’d suggest grabbing a £35 return ferry Newhaven to Dieppe and wheel your way to Paris and back

http://www.donaldhirsch.com/dieppeparis.html

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d say head to the coast from where you are (Downs Link) then hit the coast and head West towards Swanage. Lots of BnB’s in the New Forest that would welcome touring’ists, then head up to the North of the Forest and head down towards Branksome Chine, head along the coast (but unfortunatly through B’mth) to Sandbanks, catch the ferry to Swanage, spend a day there then head back north near Wareham through quiet lanes back to the Forest keeping north of the A27 then into Romsey, back over the South Downs from there (nr Winchester) back to Petersfield where you can catch the train back. Plenty of train routes if you get stuck/bored or just want to get there/home.
    You will ride through most of the Downs, see the Sea and coastline, Poole Harbour and Swanage, then Perbecks and New Forest back into the Downs..

HTH

slimjim78
    Free Member

Living in Sussex I’d suggest grabbing a £35 return ferry Newhaven to Dieppe and wheel your way to Paris and back

I did the same route last July to catch the final stage of TDF. Was a lovely route on the Avenue Vert, although a little trickier to navigate once you approach Paris.

Keen to try something new next week although if I cant come up with an alternative I may just try this again. Cost of room in Paris may be prohibitive though.

richardthird

Plenty under £60 on booking.com if you can book in advance?

Otherwise defo head west, IOW?

slimjim78
    Free Member

Liking the idea of a Swanage visit. Could pop in and say hi to CTBM

slimjim78
    Free Member

bikebouy – ive investigated your route and its looking good to me. May give it a go, or at least a large chunk of it

dknwhy

Get yourself YHA membership. Loads dotted along the coast. £10 a night for a bed in a dorm.
    I was at Lulworth Cove near Swanage the other week and had a great couple of days.
    £10 discounted family membership here:
    YHA

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Need to get away for a few days – recommend me a nice long ride in the South’ is closed to new replies.