Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Need tips on how to embrace winter/rain/cold for someone who hates riding in it!
  • deanfbm
    Free Member

Mud guards and don’t over dress.

Me personally, i only get cold if i’m standing around or have worn too much then subsequently wetted out my clothing with sweat.

spooky_b329

Currently enjoying a slight resurgence of enthusiasm for winter riding…mild weather no doubt helping. (this morning I went out on the South Downs and all I needed were a long sleeve jersey, 3/4 length lycra and baggies and winter boots and didn’t get cold)

Trick for me is to go out and just do a short blast, last few rides have been about 12 miles, some of them night rides. Got everything ready after work before Christmas and as I locked the door it started peeing down…I was about to go back in but then realised that if I were on holiday at Afan/elsewhere, we’d still be going out in the rain and enjoying it so went anyway. One advantage of the rain is the sticky gloopy energy sapping mud becomes sloppy and fast so I just went for it, aimed for every puddle and got covered head to toe 🙂

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Working ok Chakaping.
    Obviously wearing the right gear helps and to be fair it’s been warmer this year but a cold spell is due!

Still avoiding rain rides but once you’re riding it’s all good.

Skull cap time soon!

Buying a cheapy CX for mixing easy trails and road rides can’t wait!

Benefiting from feeling much warmer at work/home and waging the car in jeans and shirt.

You have to man up and get out but layer up reasonably and avoid sweating.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Mudguards
    Mudguards
    Mudguards

FuzzyWuzzy

The right clothing definitely helps, if you’re shivering and in pain it’s going to be difficult to enjoy the ride. Other than that organising rides with mates helps me, if I was planning to go out solo I’d like bail and watch TV if it was cold and wet but knowing others are going out is usually enough motivation for me to drag myself out and join them and I’ve not regretted a winter ride so far.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Need tips on how to embrace winter/rain/cold for someone who hates riding in it!

Cycling is a hobby we do for enjoyment so if you don’t enjoy riding in winter and don’t have to then don’t do it. Why force yourself?

I don’t particularly like it but in order to get fit for the sportives I do later in the year its a necessary evil. I just try to keep the objective in mind. There’s a reason most top pros don’t live in Britain during the winter- its because riding in Britain in winter is a bit sh!t.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

That’s the technical term uponthedowns!

Last week I turbo’d during the downpour.

This weeks wind and 4C sent me to the gym.

Enjoyed the last few weeks 10-14C but was tempted to go somewhere warm for winter!

butcher

Good clothing is the main factor. When it’s horrible outside, you immediately associate it with discomfort, but it needn’t be so. You can ride in the pissing rain and find it very refreshing. If you’re well covered in waterproofs you can get a similar feeling to when you’re say, in a tent in a pissing rain. That feeling of total protection. Or when you’re in the house and the wind is howling. But you can be wet and enjoy it too, so long as you’re warm. Showers are warm and wet, and they’re good.

You’ll inevitably have some bad experiences too. But you get an extra glow afterwards for these. Additional rewards. It’s always great to sit down with some good food and a beer after a hard day on the bike, but to do it having spent the entire day pissing wet and freezing to the core, it’s pure nirvana.

Andy-R

butcher – Member
    having spent the entire day pissing wet and freezing to the core

Sounds like a typical working day for me, that’s the reason that I’m less than enthused about going out to ride in it too.

butcher

Sounds like a typical working day for me, that’s the reason that I’m less than enthused about going out to ride in it too.

That’s a fair point. Sat behind a desk all day I often feel the opposite…

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Need tips on how to embrace winter/rain/cold for someone who hates riding in it!’ is closed to new replies.