Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Need some steel
  • jumping_flea
    Free Member

Hello

Right, my hardtail has taken a bit of a battering over the last few years and other than a full upgrade of components, I feel a new one is in order!

I have been looking for a steel framed bike either off the peg or to build up myself. Currently been looking at 456, Rocklobster or Orange p7.

Got about a grand to spend, got any recommendations? or tips if I go for a self build? (show me pics if you have any!)

Cheers

longweight
    Free Member

I had a test ride on the Dialled Alpine and it blew me away, amazing bike

iainc

Rock lobster here – now nearly 2 yrs old an d I cannot fault it in any way :

jumping_flea
    Free Member

Rock lobster here – now nearly 2 yrs old an d I cannot fault it in any way :

Seen some good deals on the Rocklobster on Merlin Website, looks like a nice bike! Do they do just frames as I quite like the challenge of a self build!

Whats the max travel fork a rocklobster can take? Looking for tough but not excessive – I already have a remedy for the big stuff

timbercombe
    Free Member

Go for the custom build route, just source carefully and you can get a FAR better spec hardtail for less money. I’m in the process of it at the moment, got this build;
    as it is, with PC971 chain, truvativ boxguide, seat collar, formula ORO THE ONE rear brake, brand new elxir R front, SLX shifter/derailleur all coming in at the grand total of….. £620!!!!!!
    Admitantly I had some bargains on it, but they’re there to be had if you keep a keen eye on forums/search around for best prices.

iainc

I am pretty sure they would sell a frame, as they buy them in as such and build up themselves. Travel wise it is best at 100mm. Some folk think they are a bit cramped, so maybe worth egtting a try on one. I am 5ft 10 and ride a 17, with a 90mm stem and it’s spot on. Not used for fast rocky big stuff but has ridden virtually every Wed night for 2 yrs on quite techy stuff and is just as good as when I got it (better actually due upgrades !!)

jumping_flea
    Free Member

Size will be a factor – I’m 6ft5, so being cramped is not want I want.
    My Remdey is an XL frame, and while some people may think of that as a gate, I like it.

My Current hardtail – a 20inch giant XTC, does just fit, but with a longer stem and the seat set back.

The Inbred frames seem a good price, or will I just be following the crowd?

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Self build steel:

Had a 456 a couple of years ago, liked it but convinced myself I needed a FS, found that too heavy although may not have the best choice (Coiler) and almost went back to a 456 but thought I’d try a PA, so far so good, not sure if I prefer one over the other yet.

RustySpanner

The Inbred frames seem a good price, or will I just be following the crowd?

Who cares, your buying the bike for you to have fun on, not to project some kind of image, aren’t you?

I fancied an On-One due to the a) The price! b) Designed to be ridden where and how I ride & c) The good reviews and reputation.

Ended up buying a Rock Lobster because it fitted me perfectly, whereas the Inbred didn’t.

That’s why it’s the best bike for me 🙂

Back in the old days, I bought a bike (Orange Clockwork, not that it matters) because I was impressionable and fell for the hype. Everyone told me that it was THE bike, and I really had to buy one.
    Hated it: Never fitted, not my style, didn’t like the kit etc, etc.

It’s a mistake you only make once (Suntour MicroDrive? my a**e!)

jumping_flea
    Free Member

I’ve always gone for what feels best, partly due to the fact that I’m tall and don’t want to waste money that doesn’t fit.

If I was going the self build option, how do I know if the bike will be right? I had a load of test rides when looking for my fs and went for the remedy over a number of other bikes. How do I choose just a frame without seeing how it rides?

iainc

the right frame size won’t really be influenced by the build though – if you can get to Preston and have a sit on a few different sized ones then pick the right one as a frame only ? I do think it’s worth it – I drove down from Glasgow to try the 17 and 19 – I ‘thought’ that the 17 would fit but a mate of a similar size had a 19. Glad I did it as the 17 is/was the right one for me

RustySpanner

Got to be someone on here with a frame in your size willing to let you have a go.

Ton is a tall chap and apparently buys one of every new bike released, tests them for a week or so and then sells them. 😀
    Think he might be selling a Cove Stiffee if you’re interested? Ally though.

Seriously, if you stick a post on asking for a test ride of the bikes you’re thinking about, I’m sure someone will oblige.
    Even if it’s miles away you’ve only spent a bit of petrol money, rather than hundreds on a bike you can’t stand.

Merlin let me have a test ride before I ordered my bike.
    Why not give them a call and see what they can do?

Nickquinn293
    Free Member

Handjob

Get one – they are really good. I would say that though…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Need some steel’ is closed to new replies.