Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Need some new walking boots, who's good / bad these days?
  • captain_bastard
    Free Member

After many years service, my Salomon boots are no more

Would like their replacements to also provide a good few years of use, any makes I should look for / avoid?

Stoner
    Free Member

My favourite fabric boots are eccos. For winter scarpa xl. I’m worried I won’t be able to find new versions of the eccos when the time comes.

scotroutes

If your feet are Salomon shaped then either go for the same again or for North Face. They’re very similar. I find most other brands to be too wide at the heel for me.

boblo
    Free Member

Ooo me too, me too. 🙂

My Meindl Vakuum’s are shot. Many years old but not many miles (~500). Odd as I get ~300 out of fell shoes. The mid and outer sole are toast and the rand is splitting. On the upside, these were the most waterproof boots I’ve ever had.

So my (hijacked) spec is leather with Gore Tex for 3 season waddling. Anything more extreme will be with more appropriate kit.

One thousand apologies for the hijack but hopefully the answers will be common to us both

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Zamberlan – vioz GTX comfy and light enough to run in.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ve also found Salomon boots good for my narrow heeled feet. Mine are quite old B2 boots though. I also have some Meindl Burmas and, although I’ve got them sorted now with inserts, they were wider at the heel and problematic to start with. People will quite rightly say that fit is more important than anything else. All I would add to that is that the Meindls were slipper comfy in the shop and round the house, the problem only came to light going up hills. How you test that I’m not sure.

captain_bastard
    Free Member

Boblo, hijack away, more the merrier!

Cheekyboy, those zamberlan look really nice, course it all comes down to fit, but gives me another pair to try

piha
    Free Member

Another vote for Zamberlan Voiz Plus GTX. Comfy straight from the box but do try them on as the shape doesn’t suit every foot.

nant
    Free Member

Captain. They have just brought out a new Salomon quest 4d 3. Looks similar. Slightly stiffer. Slightly different conta grip pattern.you can buy the old model quest 4d for 120 at Cotswold.

Boblo- maybe try the meindl Bhutans.

swamp_boy

Lowa Renegades work well for me, but I have wider feet than average. Equally good on mountains, canyons, mud, also the unforgiving streets of London, as the work I do doesn’t justify a folding bike. My original pair are high fitting, they also do a lower, shoe like one. When the current pair pack up I’ll definitely go for the same again.

BadlyWiredDog

If your feet are Salomon shaped then either go for the same again or for North Face.

+1 for this. Other lasts that might work if your feet fit Salomon well are La Sportiva and AKU. The only thing wrong with Salomon is the Contragrip sole’s less than stellar grip on wet rock ime. Less awful with the boots than the running shoes, but still not brilliant.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’d be trying these if I was in the market for any boots….

http://www.altberg.co.uk/

chakaping
    Free Member

On the subject, anyone seen any bargains on lightweight waterproof approach shoes/boots?

thegreatape
    Free Member

I had some Altberg boots for work. They were brilliant.

BadlyWiredDog

I’d be trying these if I was in the market for any boots….

http://www.altberg.co.uk/

Altberg are good if you like traditional, stiff-soled walking boots – even the lightweight fabric one is pretty solid underfoot – and they’re really well made, but I suspect that someone who likes Salomon, will find them a bit clumpy.

giantalkali
    Free Member

I’ve meindl Vakuums, nice, comfy and totally waterproof. I look after them by using some other cheap boots most of the time.

Davesport

If your feet like Salomon shaped boots why not buy another pair? I’m using a pair of Zamberlan Vioz boots which are excellent and also a pair of Salomon Quest 4D 2 GTX. The Salomons are a similar fit but lighter and have a more flexible sole. My only grumble with the Vioz is that there’s no rand round the base of the upper to protect the leather from abrasion but otherwise a great four season boot that can take a C1 crampon.

D.

kormoran
    Free Member

Fit, fit and fit again. Best pair of boots in the shop ain’t worth diddly if they don’t fit your foot.

Even if they are in the sale, this much I can confirm 100%

I had some disappointing backup from Scarpa in the past, would make me think twice about another pair.

captain_bastard
    Free Member

Fit, fit and fit again. Best pair of boots in the shop ain’t worth diddly if they don’t fit your foot.

Had bad fitting boots before, feet were so chewed up half way through the Welsh 3000 I practically had to crawl! Good to get some thoughts on good makes these days, happy to travel to a shop that stocks several brands so I can try them out

Not got a budget, price is long forgotten

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Need some new walking boots, who's good / bad these days?’ is closed to new replies.