Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Need some new shaving cream… what should I try??
  • renton
    Free Member

I need a pot of shaving cream, just finished some bluebeards revenge which was a bit hit and miss and also coming to the end of my Taylors eton stuff too.

What can you recommend then ??

Cheers

Steve

dannybgoode

Proper shaving soap and a proper badger hair brush – cannot be beaten for a wet shave.

Got to be badger hair though and not bristle…

Cheers

Danny B

Drac

And a good brush.

Cheers

Danny B

RustySpanner

Non culled, organic badgers are the best.
    Those that commit suicide by drowning themselves in their own tears produce the finest bristles.

Cheers,
    John Robie.

Stoner
    Free Member

Im always a fan of Taylors barber shop shaving cream – it’s different to the other ones in the range, I find it make s a better lather…

dannybgoode

Most of the badger hair for shaving brushes actually come from Chinese badgers…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Aye Chinese Badgers who speak the dialect Pinghua and comb their hair using Changzhou combs guilded from brass and cloiasonait by design.
    😆

iolo
    Free Member

I’m confused now.
    Are Drac and dannybgoode the same?
    Drac signed as Danny B.
    I though multiple logins were frowned upon in this parish.

dannybgoode

Or am I really you?

Cheers

iolo

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What Drac said.

Except I get mine from the factory shop* an it costs 50p for a refil and £1 for the bowl 🙂

Ted Baker Gell is pretty good too if the criteria involves buying from Boots.

*a rather non-descript industrial unit in Ashby-de-la-Zouch that makes most poncey middle class soaps and deoderants.

Drac

Except I get mine from the factory shop* an it costs 50p for a refil and £1 for the bowl

😯

Might be badgering for some refills if it ever runs out.

Cheers

Stoner.

pjt201
    Free Member

for me it’s all about the taylors avocado. just like the barber shop shaving cream it’s different to all the other ones in the range 😉

scaredypants

I bought some of that Turkish kack off ebay that everyone went on about a while back. Use it in a bowl with a brush.

It’s good, lathers well, was dirt cheap and has genuinely lasted about 18 23.5 months and still going. I’ll splash out on a new one soon though, just because I can !

Cheers,
    CaptainFlash

Lazgoat
    Free Member

Try Body Shop Macca Root shaving cream. I’ve been using it for a few months and can’t fault it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I can’t vouch for the shaving cream specifically but GEO Trumper Lime cologne is excellent and the Curzon Street shop is worth a visit in itself

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Trumper and the badger (Sounds like a folk band)

Cheers

Stonerpants B

bigbloke
    Free Member

Proraso is a nice soap, nice smell too and fresh.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I’m getting on really well with this these days

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Another vote for Geo.
    Infact, I’ve just run out, so off to buy some more this weekend.
    Sadly not for 50p tho..

davidrussell
    Free Member

not a soap, but you could lather this using your fingers its so easy to lather. magic scents and superb value.

http://www.maguiresbarbershop.co.uk/genuine-ogallala-bay-rum-shaving-soap-pucks-samples/

merynella
    Free Member

Somerset’s shaving oil.

carlosg
    Free Member

hair conditioner! No really it works , been using it for years after my hairdresser(when I had hair 😥 )reccomended it as being better than other shaving products.

renton
    Free Member

Might give the proraso a bash as both of the sandalwoods I’ve tried have give me a rash!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I love to use a brush and nice shaving soap or cream on occassions but this is one area where I think the old-fashioned approach lives up to its less attractive image. For me at least, creams and soaps dry out too quickly while shaving. Ok they last for ages and hence great VFM, but lose out every time to a simple squirt of Gillette (sensitive skin) gel. There are a number of trad London barbers who use gel for wet shaving and with good reason!

motivforz
    Free Member

I’ve used a combination of mitchell’s wool fat and arko. both good. not necessarily at the same time though!

Mackem

are there any real benefits to using these fancy soaps over using normal gels/soaps from the likes of Gillette?

bigblackshed

Trumpers Coconut for me.

Cheers.

BlackCoffeeWith14SugarsButDon’tStirItCosIDon’tLikeItTooSweet.

OrmanCheep
    Free Member

+1 Hair Conditioner

RustySpanner

Mackem – Member

are there any real benefits to using these fancy soaps over using normal gels/soaps from the likes of Gillette?

Depends.

What colour are your handlebars?
    Do you feel inadequate whilst conversing with strangers?
    Do you have ‘special’ underwear?
    Do you think that others would respect you more if only they knew the truth about you (and your shaving regime)?

chewkw
    Free Member
    timc
    Free Member

Mackem – Member

doubt it…

nivea sensitive shaving Gel for me along with a good sharp blade

RustySpanner

In all honesty, the proper stuff is way, way ahead of any kind of foam or gel.

I don’t think it’s all down to the soap itself, hence my scepticism, but more that it makes you slow down and take a little more time over the process.
    Same with the posh safety razors.

You have to engage with the process and the equipment.

renton
    Free Member

Just ordered some proraso and some Mitchell’s wool fat to give a whirl !

chewkw
    Free Member

Traditional shave soap that contains tallow or fat is the best or the modern version with vegetable fat will do the trick as well …

Dangerboy
    Free Member

I also got on well with Mitchell’s wool fat soap, it did last for literally years but it left a proper scum in the sink, which was annoying.

I’m now a total convert to Ingram. Cheap as you like and i don’t think I’ve used anything i like more.

http://www.superdrug.com/ingram-quality-lather-shave-100ml/invt/42275

Trampus
    Free Member

Castrol GTX, FTW!

Best shave ever.

_tom_
    Free Member

Just get whatever’s on sale at the supermarket. It’s shaving foam ffs 😆

tarquin
    Free Member

I’ve been using the Rapha stuff and it’s not bad….

Face only, legs are trimmed but not fully shaven!

roper
    Free Member

I can’t get on with a brush. Far too ticklish around my junk.

Buzzard
    Free Member

Currently trying Cella Creme d b – almond scent not to everyones taste but good lather and performance.

Works best with a boar brush

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Need some new shaving cream… what should I try??’ is closed to new replies.