• This topic has 26 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by z1ppy.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Need some new reading matter
  • uphillcursing
    Free Member

Weather here Down Under is at the low point of the year.
    Would like some good page turning suggestion for Kindle. Not really after anything too deep, just good stories that keep you engrossed.

Been working my way through the top 50 SciFi lists recently but like enjoy most things with a bit of adventure in.

What can you recommend?

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Looks good Matt. Will jot that one down but not on Kindle.

sandwicheater

Enjoying Neal Asher at the moment, the Ian Cormac Polity series (5 books), is excellent.

Lucifers Hammer (Pournelle, Jerry) is also worth a read. Single book but super.

Dangerboy
    Free Member

The Martian by Andy Weir is excellent

wordnumb
    Free Member

The Vorrh – Brian Catling.

sadexpunk

would you say george orwell is too deep? just downloaded his complete works for nowt to read on holiday.

zippykona

This is excellent.

TooTall
    Free Member

Eric Newby’s work – particularly ‘A short walk in the hindu kush’ and ‘Love and War in the Apennines’. Proper adventure.

scc999

The Martian by Andy Weir is excellent
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Martian-Andy-Weir/dp/0091956137

+1

Excellent read, a real page turner.

I enjoyed “Rivers of London” by Ben Aaronovitch (and the rest of the series so far).

“Old Man’s War” by John Scalzi is another easy and enjoyable read (unless you don’t like Robert Heinlein, in which case probably best avoided…)

HTH

Si

mattyd
    Free Member

I always recommend the Wool series by Hugh Howey.
    Wool

beanum

Another recommendation for “The Martian” here. Laugh out loud funny at times..
    It would have made a good film if Gravity didn’t exist…:-)

twicewithchips
    Free Member

I’m loving that a guy in a birch bark canoe has a name like that!

lunge

I’ve just finished The Hour by Michael Hutchinson which was very good.
    Moneyball was also an interesting read, particularly if you are a bit f a stats geek.

DezB
    Free Member

Anything by Cormac McCarthy (The Road, No Country for Old Men). Those are actually 2 I haven’t read, but after they were recommended on here read a couple of others – totally absorbing epics.

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

Someone had left this:

The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed out of the Window and Dissapeared

In a hotel room I stayed in recently, I started reading it out of boredom but ended up taking it with me. Pretty good I thought but possibly not what you’re into.

BillMC

Agent Storm: my Life Inside Al Qaeda by Morten Storm

oldboy
    Free Member

The Border Trilogy by Cormac McCarthy. You can buy all three books combined into a single volume and should keep you going for quite a while.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Cheers for the tips.

Will look at The Martian when I finish the current one.
    Old Mans War was good. The others in the series not so although I quite enjoyed The Last Colony.
    Orwell, been there and done that. Even managed The Road to Wiggan Pier. Although I really enjoyed Down and Out in London and Paris.
    Will look at Wool also.

Anyone know any more authors in the mold of Micheal Crighton? Always liked his stuff.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Non-fiction, but I’ve just read Bryson’s One Summer: America 1927 – fascinating and entertaining.

z1ppy

I really enjoyed Scalzi “Fuzzy Nation” and “Agent to the stars”, if you do like his writing, I’ve got to re-read the old man war again soon.

Loads of stuff I’d like to recommend (C Mieville, D. Simmons, R. Morgan I could go on), but I’m gunna go with Neal Stephenson. Give him a go on had one “meh” of his so far (& other disagree) & you should have read Snow crash as part of the sci-fi top 50.

Gunna try “the Martian” myself.

PS: Wool +1 though the ending is little of a let down, though it’s virtually impossible to end such a great story & not let readers down (wanting more … give me MORE!). God I can’t stop… also can I suggest maybe Justin Cronin The passage series is similarly good.

sausagefingers
    Free Member

After the recomendations on here I’ve just finished ‘The Martian’ by Andy Weir.
    Bloody fantastic book,not something I’d normally read but gave it a go and enjoyed it immensely. It was actually the audio book and the narrator was fantastic,very funny in places.
    Cheers

slackboy

I’m really enjoying the game of thrones series of books at the moment . But if you fancy some adventure then Arabian Sands by Wilfred Thessiger is one of the best books I’ve ever read.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Good tip on the The Martian. Finished it in two sittings.
    Seemed like the story of WorldClassAccident gone to Mars with all that befell him.
    Just downloaded A short walk in the Hindu Cush. Will see how that one goes.

pondo

I’ve just finished The Hour by Michael Hutchinson which was very good.

+1, and for his Faster – excellent books for anyone with an interest in cycling, informative and very funny.

+1 for Bryson too – pick one that suits your mood and they’re laugh-out-loud funny.

boxelder

The Ian’s….
    Banks – the Crow Rd and The Wasp Factory for e.g.
    Rankin – the Rebus series
    McEwan – any of his

Rec’d on here was the Western classic ‘Lonesome Pine’, which I thought was great.

Down under? – ‘On the Beach’ ?

z1ppy

Great tip on the The Martian! 😀
    Enjoyed it a lot, cheers

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Need some new reading matter’ is closed to new replies.