Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Need some help with choice of Hope stealth Race x2 brakes or Tech evo x2 brakes
  • fozworth
    Free Member

Im wanting to buy some brakes for my SS build 26er hard tail.Im trying to keep weight down but want good function.Ive always had hope brakes and like the quality/reliability etc.Im 13 stone and was looking at buying the Tech evo x2 brakes but have seen that they do the Stealth Race evo x2 brakes as well .From what i can see you get less adjust-ability and a standerd hose but less weight .Are they worth the extra cost.Im looking at paying £208 for a pair of tech evo x2 brakes with braded hoses or £242 for the Race evo x2 (both without rotors or mounts )
    WHATS BEST TO DO?

Vinnyc
    Free Member

I had tech x2 evo brakes and they were brilliant, if weight is a massive issue get the race. I never used the adjuster after I set the brakes up

theredchili
    Free Member

I have got the Stealth Evo Tech X2, which are the same as the normal X2’s except nicer looking being black.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Onzadog
    Free Member

I was of the understanding that the race push less fluid which is why they’re not compatible with the V2/V4 calipers. Therefore, compared to the tech lever, you’ll get a little more power and a slightly softer feel at the lever.

Of course, I could be wrong. I really like our x2, m4 and v2 brakes with tech levers though.

zangolin
    Free Member

Just got a pair of stealth X2 Race – much prefer the shape and size of the race lever to the Evo Tech lever (on Hope V2s) I had before.
    More of a “one finger” braking shape than the larger Tech lever – if you know what I mean.
    Braking power + feel is excellent with good range of modulation. No biting point adjustment on the race lever, reach is adjusted by a small hex screw. Running mine with 183mm rotors front and rear.

No had a massive number of rides on them yet but so far been really pleased with them.

The key to Hopes is getting the calliper absolutely central to the rotor. I find it best to remove the pads before aligning the calliper – gives a much clearer view – esp on the rear. Then refit the pads and usually find only minimal adjustments are needed.

I’m running Saints and XT brakes on my other bikes and the Race are quickly becoming my new favourite brakes.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Need some help with choice of Hope stealth Race x2 brakes or Tech evo x2 brakes’ is closed to new replies.