Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Need some engineering done. M46 to M36 fine thread adapter.
  • Due to a lack of research when ordering my new belt drive frame and stuff, I need an adapter to fit the sprocket to my Rohloff hub.
    Nicolai use to list all the Gates stuff on their website, including the adapter, and I think I assumed it came with the sprocket when I ordered everything from Qoroz. It turns out it doesn’t.

I’ve been in touch with MSG Bikes, who sell belt drive Rohloff bikes, and Rohloff will only supply an adapter if they fit it themselves.
    I would need to post my wheel to MSG, they would then post it to Rohloff in Germany so that they can spend 30 seconds screwing the adapter on, then post it back to MSG to post it to me.
    MSG reckon this would cost around £100 all in.
    If I get one for my spare wheel as well, that’s £200.

There’s a picture of the adapter on page 26 here.

This is what the pulley and a 13t and 16t Rohloff sprocket look like.

What I was thinking was machine the teeth off an old Rohloff sprocket, weld or otherwise attach a larger lump of steel around it, then cut a 46mm thread in that. I’ll sort out all the dimensions and chain line first.

So, has anyone here got the ability to do that ?
    How much to make a pair of them ?

Edit;
    Here’s the adapter from that link.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

These people will be able to do it I am sure if you can provide drawings or stuff to measure up. Quite the best shed engineers I have ever met

Blane Precision Engineering
    Killearn
    Glasgow
    G63 9QG
    Type of Business
    Telephone: 01360 550492

Oh yeah, I should have said near to Kidderminster, Worcestershire as I like to deal with people in person for odd jobs like this and I think it would be best to give them the hub and pulley as patterns, but thanks anyway, TJ.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ir_bandito
    Free Member

bl00dy Rohloff are too picky about which frames you can fit a belt-drive and a Speedhub too.

I wouldn’t even bother with the original sprocket. Be easier to start from scratch. You need to find a man with a lathe and a kind heart.

If you come up with a design, it’d be worth getting a batch made cos I reckon you could easily sell them on (I’d have one at some point…)

ir_bandito
    Free Member

tasty…

Stoner
    Free Member

good work ir.

Thanks for that link. I’ve emailed cyclemonkey to see if they can simply supply two adapters.
    Yes, I thought a one piece design would be better, but with my limited knowledge of engineering, I thought internal threads were a lot harder to cut, and as I’ve got a couple of old sprockets, I thought a fabricated design might work out cheaper.

cheez0
    Free Member

a good turner would soon knock one of those out.

providing you have accurate dimensions our the original

bullandbladder
    Free Member

I can do that (got a shopful of cnc machines at my disposal), provided you can give me a sketch with dimensions.

Based near Stourbridge, mail me on rich_nrs at hotmail dotcom.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Need some engineering done. M46 to M36 fine thread adapter.’ is closed to new replies.