Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Need some advice, possible to use a 9 speed triple crank as 10 speed double?
  • officerfriendly
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of XTR M970s which I’ve just painted and absolutely love, was wondering if it would be possible to use it as a double with a 10 speed set up? Thanks anyone! (:

jota180
    Free Member

Maybe

Although the 10sp chain is narrower I’ve been using one on a 9 sp set up and it runs OK

officerfriendly
    Free Member

Well I don’t have any rings, so I was going to buy 10 speed rings, but I’ve been told that the spacing is completely different, but after researching it, I’m now really confused as everyone says it is possible?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Del

it’ll be fine. stick a bash on in place of the outer.

jota180
    Free Member

If the 10sp rings don’t fit just use 9sp ones

dvatcmark
    Free Member

Xtr can have different spacing to the ‘standard’ 104mm BCD. So you need to check what BCD your chainset is first then buy a set of rings to suit.

officerfriendly
    Free Member

Brill, thanks, was going to get a bash anyway! The BCD for the middle is 104mm, but apparently it’s the inner (granny) ring that’s the problem and will need a set of 2mm spacers to make up for the chainline? Not sure if this is for 9 speed or 10 speed, does anyone know? Apparently 10 speed is
    the way to go! (:

njee20
    Free Member

It’ll be fine. You need M8x2mm spacers on the inner ring if you’re not using the stock XTR 22t. I ran mine as a doubt with 44/32, 42/30 and 40/28 variously.

danti

I’ve been using 970s with original middle/inner rings running 10
    Speed set up for over a year and it’s fine.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Seen a couple of set ups like this where the chain can jam between the inner and middle chainrings – not sure if this is a 10 speed chain issue. Works fine otherwise, and pretty easy to space out the 2 chainrings with narrow washers.

officerfriendly
    Free Member

Awesome, thanks guys! 🙂

officerfriendly
    Free Member

Oh, and any reccomendations for chainrings? Was going to go with a 38t/26t for a 29er Surly ECR (:

njee20
    Free Member

I like TA Chinooks.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Need some advice, possible to use a 9 speed triple crank as 10 speed double?’ is closed to new replies.