• This topic has 29 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by gogg.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • need shed alarm with an external siren that will sound in my house
  • sefton
    Free Member

so I can get ready for murder! 👿

seriously which and where

pbooker1995
    Free Member

The Yale ones from screwfix are pretty good and well priced too.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Keep a set of bombers by the back door.

i got my shed alarm from Maplin. Have a look on their site.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hora
    Free Member

What if you are at work?

What if you are on holiday?

What if you don’t want to run outside and be stabbed with a screwdriver or punched in the face then stamped on?

I was woken up in the middle of the night to hear someone fiddling with a downstairs window- I couldn’t turn any lights on (as I didn’t want to scare the person(s) away. So I had to piss in the dark (missing all the toilet- ended up pissing in the bath as I woke with a full bladder.

Then I was outside in just my boxers and a lump hammer wandering the gardens looking for the fella. If I had found him I’d be doing time now with no job prospects.

Don’t keep thousands of pounds outside. I could easily saw through your frame in 2mins negating your lock(s) on a frame and anyway I’d strip/bin the frame and sell the rest.

sefton
    Free Member

I could scare them off by simply shouting out the window.

a siren can easily be stamped on.

…sawing through frames….jesus (what more can you do right)?

could get one with outside and in-house sirens?

hora
    Free Member

If its a 4 grand carbon bike – how long would it take to saw through a circle of <2mm thick carbon? Pretty much the same for aluminium.

If you shouted out the window, I’d just comeback a few weeks later when you are at work.

When I see the shed/garage theft threads I think you made that choice, you have insurance so why say ‘help find my bike’? you’ve indirectly funded a criminals lifestyle. Thats the worse part.

neilthewheel

I have a Kasp one that was cheap and works well. The transmitter seasily works across a back lane between the garage and house. Every day I forget to turn it off and have to go back to the house to shut it up.

sefton
    Free Member

its never going to be complete security, I understand that. what should I do – unlocked shed and bike (as they could nick it or saw through the frame if they really wanted too)…come on.

secure shed
    ground anchor
    secure yard
    alarm
    security light
    insurance

if stuff gets nicked after all that at least I did everything I could to prevent it.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

hen I see the shed/garage theft threads I think you made that choice, you have insurance so why say ‘help find my bike’? you’ve indirectly funded a criminals lifestyle. Thats the worse part.

Would this be somewhat similar to the ladies who bring indecent assaults on themselves by dressing in a way that “encourages” others to assault them?

Oh. Dear. Hora.

Personally I wired the garage into the house alarm and turn it on when off to bed. As both times I’ve been burgled it was in the small hours when we were all in the house.

Whilst in concept I would like to batter burglars, practically there were three of them robbing my garage with screwdrivers and chisels. I’m honestly glad in some ways that I slept through it.

The whole crime prevention / deterent measures are to make up for the fact that there are scumballs prepared to rob and exploit. The issue is with the scumballs, not with people storing a bike in their garage.

hora
    Free Member

Would this be somewhat similar to the ladies who bring indecent assaults on themselves by dressing in a way that “encourages” others to assault them?

How is that a valid analogy?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Hora, what utter tosh.

Do you assume that everyone has enough space to store their bikes in their house? They don’t.

Should people not indulge their mountain bike hobby because they can only store a bike outside? No.

Sometimes you have to make the best of a bad situation, if you don’t have enough space to store indoors, and no garage, a shed is your only option.

Kryton57

hora – Member
    If its a 4 grand carbon bike – how long would it take to saw through a circle of <2mm thick carbon? Pretty much the same for aluminium.

In my case, they have been lit up by all the garden security lights as they approached the mancave. They’d have to break the Yale lock on the mancave door, and lever off the padlock and clasp.

Then, as my bikes are locked together with a wrist thickness Magnum chain lock through both triangles of all frames, said burglar would have to be in full view of the interior shed lights as they come on via motion sensor whilst sawing through at least one frame twice. And that first bike is the hack SS, the expensive ones are behind it. He could of course lift all four bikes and attempt to carry them out the shed door locked together and climb over the 8ft fence with them, good luck with that.

So, if the burglar manages that, well done and I shall claim my new bikes off the insurance.

FWIW I chain them to the oven door handle and likewise through both triangles in the kitchen when we go on hols.

I am going to get a cheap door entry siren FWIW, but you can’t doo much more eh?

hora
    Free Member

Do you assume that everyone has enough space to store their bikes in their house? They don’t.

Or mitigate any potential losses by keeping your best/most expensive one in the house?

You should be prepared to lose anything in your shed/garage/kept outside. I’ve got a shed/part garage and brick-built second shed. My bike lives inside my house, yes if someone broke into my house there is nothing I can do. So I don’t drive round my area with it on the roof, clean it infront of my house etc etc.

sefton
    Free Member

a thief will simply take your oven too and use that to cook frozen pizza

allthepies
    Free Member

There were two such alarms recommended on your previous “shed” thread.

Kryton57

Hora, have you not thought that keeping attractive things in your house might invite Billy Burglar inside?

Like Cheeky Monkey said, if there were several ruffians intent on taking mine, I’d rather they were outside my locked doors than inside with my family.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Or mitigate any potential losses by keeping your best/most expensive one in the house?

You should be prepared to lose anything in your shed/garage/kept outside. I’ve got a shed/part garage and brick-built second shed. My bike lives inside my house, yes if someone broke into my house there is nothing I can do. So I don’t drive round my area with it on the roof, clean it infront of my house etc etc.

I genuinely don’t have room in the house for even 1 bike. We tried that, it had to sit on the fireplace in the lounge which caused a rift between the Mrs and I, and as much as I argued I knew it wasn’t right. So I either give up cycling, or store my bikes in a well built, well locked, well lit, well alarmed shed.

hora
    Free Member

Hora, have you not thought that keeping attractive things in your house might invite Billy Burglar inside?

Like everyone I don’t live a monastic lifestyle inside my house.

gogg
    Free Member

How is that a valid analogy?

Because you imply that by storing a bike in a shed, the bike owner is “asking for it”. The problem is not with the victim, but with the perpetrator who has a skewed moral compass (maybe these days it should be a dodgy decision making GPS).

It’s someone who hasn’t learnt that it’s wrong to just “take” what you “want”.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Then, as my bikes are locked together with a wrist thickness Magnum chain lock through both triangles of all frames, said burglar would have to be in full view of the interior shed lights as they come on via motion sensor whilst sawing through at least one frame twice. And that first bike is the hack SS, the expensive ones are behind it. He could of course lift all four bikes and attempt to carry them out the shed door locked together and climb over the 8ft fence with them, good luck with that.

Similar to my security, although I’ve also chained them to a 5ft Calorgas bottle, through both handles. So smash and grab is not an option 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Because you imply that by storing a bike in a shed, the bike owner is “asking for it”.

No its still not a valid anology as you’d have to throw displaying the bike etc into them mix.

Peoples doors and windows (car and house) are routinely checked to see if they are accidently left open- thieves will often check sheds etc too.

All we can do is minimise exposure to risk with thieves. IF I owned a 3grand shiny newish bike I wouldn’t be able to sleep if it was outside the house.

My old track bike/commuter used to live in the shed. I don’t think I’d even bother claiming on it as it was only worth <£200.

In general- apologies I don’t mean to be overly-negative. I want a posh road bike but I’d stress over it too much.

Kryton57

I want a posh road bike but I’d stress over it too much

May I suggest buying that Giant TCR 1 over at Pauls Cycles discounted to £1000 to lower your potential stress levels?

neiloxford
    Free Member

I got one of these which I highly recommend.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Wireless-GSM-PIR-Home-Security-Alarm-System-Auto-Dialer-Call-SMS-315-433MHz-/331128818287?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item4d18d0ca6f

Put the unit in the house, and put a door magnet on the shed door. Battery only gets used when the door opens so battery lasts for ever. You can buy extra sensors very cheaply from ebay.

Then I got a sim card from GiffGaff for £10 and I then get a phone call and a text message when the alarm striggers. It can send a text to up to 5 numbers which is useful and phone 3 numbers from memory. Just have to make sure I set off the alarm every 3 months so I do not loose my credit or uou can also text the alarm system to check the status, it texts you back, and if you forgot to set it, you can set it remotely.

Kryton57

Hora would be sending it a text every 5 minutes. Is it on? Or did I just turn it off? Best send a text to be sure…

And that’s when he’s indoors.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Some one recommended one on a recent ish thread where they had put the siren in their bedroom. Pluse people have said stuff on your previous thread.

I think in the bedroom is a good idea. At least gives you a chance of geting the little fookers.

My PIR shed alarm went off, and by the time I got down stairs they were well gone (empty handed)

At least if it just goes off in your house you have chance of calling the Police etc before they dissapear.

funkrodent

Your best bet is something that will create light and make a noise. Burglars hate light and noise. As long as whatever you have within is well secured, they will scarper sharpish as soon as they are “Lit up”. Which is what you want really, because by the time the Polis rock up they’ll be well gone anyway.

The last thing you want is to catch said burglar(s) in the act. Despite the manly daydreams of most of us (myself included), that consist of apprehending nasty burglar in the act and administering a good kicking and/or restraining him until PC Plod arrives, the reality is that you’ll almost certainly find yourself up against a frightened and desperate scumbag, not to mention one that is armed (screwdriver, jemmy etc) and almost certainly more versed in the arts of dirty tactics than the average STW reader. Whilst you’re still running through the options for landing that perfect haymaker, he’ll have buried a screwdriver in your gut and be away on his toes. And if you do thump him and apprehend him, you’re as likely to end up in court on assault and/or kidnap charges as he is, particularly if you grab a handy “weapon”..

When I heard an intruder trying to get through a ground floor window a while back, I turned all the lights on upstairs, shouted that I’d already called the police and that I had a dog (true, but it was a useless old hound, would have licked him to death and slept through the whole thing anyway 😀 ), waited a couple of minutes and gingerly went downstairs. He had scarpered, leaving a screwdriver and a crowbar in my flower bed 😯

As a word to the wise, I was armed with a 3 battery Maglite torch though. Perfect excuse to have one to hand seeing as it was nightime and if you accidentally shine it in someone’s eyes, they’re effectively blinded for a few seconds, not to mention the fact that they’re made of aluminium and pretty much cosh heavy when loaded up with batteries… 8)

stilltortoise
    Free Member

The Friedland Response range seem good. You can have wireless setups armed by keypad or remote fob and add multiple different types of sensor and/or zone without needing an alarm engineer to install. Whack the sensors in the shed and the siren high on the side of your house. That way you hear it easily and it’s out of harm’s way from burgler’s size 10s. The only down side is that they are not painfully loud like some of the dedicated shed alarms, which really are uncomfortable for the ears.

richc
    Free Member

Yale ones are pretty good, and are insurance approved.

Plus you can set them up to call you when they go off, so combined with camera + security light that’s a good deterrent.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Have you got a house alarm ?

If so, you might be able to get a wireless sensor installed in your shed that is part of the overall house alarm network.

I’ve actually got a wired feed from my house alarm network into my garage and it’s a great comfort to me as my neighbors are quite good for keeping an eye out when a burglar alarm goes off. So you could consider a wired option too, assuming the shed isn’t too far from the house. This would only be a feasible option if you already had a conduit between them for electricity though – alarm wires are a bit fragile and any damage will trigger the alarm etc..

gogg
    Free Member

No its still not a valid anology as you’d have to throw displaying the bike etc into them mix.

No, transporting or god forbid riding it to and from your house covers that one.

Some unfortunate folk are raped in their own homes by intruders. Perhaps that’s a better analogy? My bike was sleeping in it’s shed.

The whole thing is a little distasteful, we all know who is to blame, it’s NOT the victim.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘need shed alarm with an external siren that will sound in my house’ is closed to new replies.