Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Need new wheels, Dare I buy Superstar?
  • FOG

I need some new wheels and don’t have too much cash to spare so was wondering about the Stan’s rim/switch hubs sets that SS are doing for £200. Knowing how STWers love Superstar has anybody got any comments on these wheels?

jonba
    Free Member

I’ve got plenty of friends riding them and they have been for nearly 18 months. I went for hopes though and a build by just riding along.

mk1fan
    Free Member

A summary of the on-line stuff I’ve read about the wheels are that they tend to need a re-tension after a couple of rides.

Ignoring all the ‘I hate Superstar’ repeaters that crop up every time a thread starts.

I’ve never had a problem with them. The couple of faulty goods I’ve had have been refunded or replaced quickly. Nice packet of Haribo with each order too.

I still buy from them.

Northwind

The good ones are actually pretty damn good. The friday afternoon ones, not so much. Personally I’d be happy buying them but I’d approach with caution, if you know what I mean.

hambl90
    Free Member

I have a set of switch evo hubs on ss am rims , very good wheelset in my opinion.

aidanoggy
    Free Member

Being on a budget I recently bought a pair to lose the heavy standard things on my HT , They are fine, have had a few goes round Dalby on them and they havent needed truing or tensioning at all. OK I might have a good pair, but I’d be happy to recomend them on performance so far.

kayak23

Brilliant wheels, next.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Can’t vouch personally but a few folk I know who have them have had no issues.

I would, nice wheels for a nice price.

professor_fate
    Free Member

Ran a set of Tech2 9mmQR for the last couple of years. The rear has needed a set of off-the-shelf bearings once a year and the front is still on the original set! Just this last week taco’d the front rim (19mm internal width) in Morzine so simply had the lbs put a new rim on as i wanted to keep the Superstar hub… recommended.

Mackem

I was looking at the CRC “recycled wheels” bit today, seems some decent wheels at decent prices there.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=2346

neilc1881
    Free Member

Another vote from me, evo switch hubs on SStar dh rims. Had trouble with a free hub body which was resolved within 4 days including delivery times, can’t fault them really, require the same amount of care as my hopes. Rock solid performance for a £160 wheel set, could not ask for more really. I will probably get a similar wheel set to you for when my mavic x819/hope wheels cave in (which could be any day now!)

tonyg2003

3 sets evo switch/crest here. No problems. The oldest ones were feeling rough so changed the bearings (wheel and freehub) which took about 30mins. Back to smooth wheels again last weekend. Not as clicky as my hope/crest but otherwise v.good.

Order the wrong set by accident last time and they changed them no problem.

superfli
    Free Member

Can’t rate them highly enough. I have flow rims on evo and have been fine, just some tightening of a couple of spokes after alps trip, still true though. Lots of mates with them and no issues

johnhighfield
    Free Member

Hi I bought 2 sets of new wheels last year – for 2 different bikes:

A set of SS wheels with Evo switch hubs & ZTR Crest rims for £220 (although I see they are cheaper now!). I then had to buy a tubeless rimstrip / tape. Although I eventually used plastic insulating tape as the yellow no tubes tape was too wide…

I also bought a set of Hope Pro Evo 2 wheels with ZTR crest rims from Winstanleys for about £260. These came with a moulded on rimstrip (saving money) & were far more tubelass ready.

The spoke tension on the SS wheels is much higher (& a bit worrying) & I feel the quality of the Hope wheels is much, much better. Although about £40 cheaper – given the choice I would have go for Hope / ZTR every time….

John

mtbfix

The carbon rimmed wheels coming soon look very tempting so all the good reviews above nudge me a touch closer to pulling the trigger later in the year. A certain amount of noise lately about Hoops needing attention a few rides in due to iffy tensioning to boot.

bigjim

I bought the switch and crest ones, the front was fine but the rear non drive side pinged like mad on the first ride and some spokes came completely loose. They just don’t seem to hold tension. Hubs are good but bearings don’t seem to last long. Not sure I would buy them again.

unklehomered
    Free Member

I know of one legitimate horror story, and more stories of fully contented wheel ownership than I can accurately quantify…

zerocool

I’ve been abusing a set of Switch AM wheels on my Dirt jump bike, DH and Am bikes for the last 3 years and they’ve never needed anything doing to them. bearings are still good and they’re still arrow straight. Would buy again.

smcicr
    Free Member

Just bought a set – not on the bike yet but if delivery promptness, packaging and how they look (it’s my first set of new wheels so this one could just be inexperience 😀 ) is anything to go by then I’m going to be in the contented owners club.

(they were despatched the same day as I ordered them – wasn’t a morning order either – and delivered the next day. that was on the free delivery option too. oh yes – and the haribo too)

proberts
    Free Member

I don’t wanna be a “I hate superstar” person but I bought a wheelset last year from them, I’m no expert about these things but I could see the spokes had been tightened so much that the spoke bolty things were pulling through the rim holey-bits… This was confirmed when I took the wheels to my LBS…when I sent them back I tried to get my £12 postage money refunded they quibbled about it and gave me £6 ish which I thought took the P. I personally wouldn’t use them again

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Need new wheels, Dare I buy Superstar?’ is closed to new replies.