Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Need new frame, getting silly now.
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Getting round to buying a new hardtail frame only is now getting silly, I don’t know if it’s because I over research stuff and end up finding a fault in everything I don’t know!
    Useage 95% southern xc. I like fairly racey 100mm travel hardtails. And good mud clearance is essential.
    I’d use it for XC, CX enduros and 12/24 solos.
    Carbons out so I can afford to be clusmy every now and again. As is Ti after trying and listening I’m not so sure they’re worth it for me at least. No EBB either. And preferably aluminium rather than steel just for the 1lb weight saving.
    Looked at Giant XTCs but they have that massive chainstay bridge/mud trap. Orange EVO8s looked spot on, but in the flesh not so good. Yeti over priced and out dated.
    The frame now drawing my attention is the older Rocky Mountain Vortex range.
    After I’ve been to the CoreBike show I’ll probably go for one unless I see something new.
    Don’t really want to do the first lot of XC’s on my singlespeed.
    Any views on the RM.

XC_PK
    Free Member

What about a Maxlight? Im sure they do a 100mm corrected frame.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oldgit
    Free Member

Yes Maxlights are good pieces of kit, though from what I’ve seen clearance is very tight.
    RL Tig Team SL, is the geometry up to date, again a good frame but they look unchanged for years?

hilldodger
    Free Member

Tig Team SL, is the geometry up to date, again a good frame but they look unchanged for years?

Not sure, I’m at the same stage as you I think ie lots of webtime ponderings and too many choices !!
    Going to phone Merlin on monday and get some info on the RL………

GJP
    Free Member

Kona Kula – but not sure about the mud clearance since it is not a huge issue for me. It has a noticeably “stiffer” ride than the MaxLight I had which I thought had an amazingly springy ride feel for an aluminum frame. Can’t say the Kona I have now feels very different from the Rocky Mountain Stratos I had which I now regret selling very much.

tails
    Free Member

iron horse xc something?? anyway thought you had bad bones?

igm

Your posting on Singletrack, so stop all this nonsense and go buy your Cotic or On-One like you’re meant to.

oldgit
    Free Member

The Kona Kula, I had one on order for ages but it never appeared. That’s a bob on frame, and what I really like about Kulas is the slack head angle. The Kona guys should be at Core so I’ll double check.

oldgit
    Free Member

Bad bones? I had a big off just before Christmas that has meant work on my back, but nothing that’s not injury related.

Had a good few On-Ones, done my best 12/24 solos on them as well. I could do with a long test on an 18″ Scandal, at 5’8″ I should fit a small frame but something does’nt click. I did my last solo on a medium Rig with 110mm stem which was a great fit if I was certain the 18″ Scandal was about the same I might go for one.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Singular Periguine or Swift with a nice brookes saddle?

oldgit
    Free Member

I know it sounds very fussy, but when the bike you have stops working just yards into a 24 because it cant deal with a muddy field then you have to consider all these little things.

Singular & Brooks all very nice but pure function is what I’m after.

dobo
    Free Member

i got a kona kula primo scandium version, can’t think of anything bad to say about it, fairly normal mud clearance for an xc bike, more than my rs sids thats for sure.

tails
    Free Member

sorry oldgit i thought you had osteoporosis I must be getting confused with another member.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Maybe try and find a M5 HT, just about the nicest alu bike I have ever ridden

tails
    Free Member

perhaps brodie or rocky mountain have a bike in the range . . . .

or whtye or salsa

jfeb
    Free Member

I would have thought a Scandal would have been ideal. Perhaps you can find an 18″ one to try.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Sanderson 😉

BadlyWiredDog

Voodoo Sobo?

MrNutt
    Free Member

Tails, perhaps he’s in that egyptian river?

corroded
    Free Member

You mean the Rocky Mountain Vertex? Which they’ve got on sale at CRC at the mo…
    I’m a big fan of RM – although the kit, at full price, can’t compete with bigger companies, they really know what they’re doing with the frames. My Blizzard has been brilliant.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Whyte 19?

oldgit
    Free Member

Going to double check with Wiggle to see if they have the RM Vertex, check with the Kona people about Kula availability, and finally the Scandal. I’ve ridden 18″ Inbred 29ers but they’ve all had those Mary? bars which I found very odd. I’ll have to put a shout out to see if someone down here has one.

oldgrump08
    Free Member
    oldgrump08
    Free Member

*****!!! Sorry hit send by mistake….. Anyways, take a look at the link above. I was after a Blizzard before I bought the sanderson about 3 years ago. RM make great looking frames, but the Blizzard/Vertex top tube is on the short side. LBS had a Sanderson hanging up, once I had a closer look & slung a leg over one I was sold. I ended up with the 16″, very similar geometry to Kona explosif, running rebas on it at around 100mm. Makes me smile every time I ride it.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

A thought – I’ve got an RSP ti frame hanging in the garage. E-mail me if you want to know more andybu@gmail.com

MrNutt
    Free Member

you could try and find an 07-08 Orange subzero frame, good luck though! they are like hens teeth!

😆

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

Sanderson Life – but don’t tell everyone our little secret 😉

ken_shields
    Free Member

oldgit…..there’s a Sanderson Life in Phil Corleys at the mo. Not sure of the size tho. Might be worth having a chat with them about it as it’s been in there for a while

Ken

Garry_Lager

CDale? Been making aluminium frames longer than anyone. I’ve not ridden the current range, the taurine etc, but if they’re half as good as the CAAD 5 frame I had then they would have to be considered. That CAAD5 bike was in a different league to any other alu HT I’ve rode – very light, very stiff and a lovely shape. Lifetime warranty as well.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Need new frame, getting silly now.’ is closed to new replies.