Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Need help with some bass lines
  • toys19
    Free Member

Any bassists on here, I am learning (still after umpteen years) and have joined a little band locally. we have an unpaid gig coming up at a local music festival, my very first..

So there are some tracks that the band already play but I need to provide some basic bass lines for, unfortunately I cannot find anything on the bass tab sites so I wonder if anyone here knows these songs or is sharp enough to work out the tab without going to too much effort.
    Songs are

James River Blues by Old Crow Medicine Show
    I hear them all by Old Crow Medicine Show
    My Oklahoma Home by Bruce Springsteen

I can provide mp3’s of all three if you want, send me your email address and I’ll give you a link to my private online storage.. email in profile.

racefaceec90

try this http://www.xs4all.nl/~mp2004/bp/ you can slow down the track (whilst still keeping the pitch)

toys19
    Free Member

Thanks, I will give it a go, but the underlying issue here is my untrained ear..

muddy_bum
    Free Member

I would just play the root note of each chord.
    eg James River Blues
    D D G G
    D D G G
    etc.
    B for the Bm in the middle bits and a C on the end.
    B B G G
    B B G G
    etc.
    B B G G B B C C

stratobiker
    Free Member

what muddy_bum says +1.

Just get the chords off the www and play the root note of the chord along with the drummers bass pedal. It’ll get you through.

SB

toys19
    Free Member

Muddy bum, stratobiker thanks that is what I have been doing to this point, and its top advice. I guess I am hoping to get a bit more style/groove into it, I thought I might be able to develop from the root notes, but I’m just a bit crap, I find that good bass tab helps me no end.

toab
    Free Member

If you want a really simple way to progress from just root notes is to start putting an extra note or two in between to get you from one chord to the next. sit down with one of your guitarists and write out all the notes in the scales of the keys you play in. This’ll give you the right sharps/flats for that key and you won’t accidentally make a horrible clashing noice.

But remember it’s better to do something simple and do it well than to do something complicated and do it badly, particularly with bass. Enjoy the gig

toys19
    Free Member

If you want a really simple way to progress from just root notes is to start putting an extra note or two in between to get you from one chord to the next. sit down with one of your guitarists and write out all the notes in the scales of the keys you play in. This’ll give you the right sharps/flats for that key and you won’t accidentally make a horrible clashing noice.

Ok I’ve just had to read this about 7 times and finally it has clicked (no problem with your description just my bad) this makes total sense. A job for tonight. Thanks

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Need help with some bass lines’ is closed to new replies.