Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Need help to compare beginner MTB – diamondback apex and response
  • angiesftpe
    Free Member

Hi,

I am a beginner of mountain bike. My first bike is a diamondback response 29er. I rode it with on single tracks and practice my skill. The bike is more on a heavy side however it’s my first entry-level bike. I was planning to train myself for at least 1-2 year and swtich to a better bike — however, my bike got stolen last week. and I only rode it for half year. well…. so sad.

Back to the topic, rightnow I have to choose another new bike for me. Unfortunately I am not ready for a better bike. I still tend to choose a entry-level bike but I hope it will be slightly better than what I have before. (really don’t want to spent twice amount of money for the same bike.).

I went to performance bike and found they have an exclusive model called Apex.
    I am choosing between Apex Trail (cehaper) and Apex Elite(250USD more)
    I need your help to compare the two bike spec and let me know which one is more worth to get.
    They are all 29er. I have no idea if the apex trail ‘s spec is better or worse than my original diamondbacl response model. I would be highly appreciated if you can helpm

1. My original bike – Diamondback Response
    F. Derailleur Shimano TX50 dual pull, Top swing, 34.9
    R. Derailleur Shimano Altus 7spd
    Shifter Shimano EF-51 Easyfire 7spd
    Brake Levers Shimano integrated lever
    Brakes Tektro IO Plus Mechanical Disc Brake w/ 160mm Rotors
    Cassette Shimano HG20 7spd Cassette (12-28t)
    Rims 32h Diamondback SL-7 Doublewall
    Tires WTB Wolverine Comp 29×2.2
    Pedals DB Toe Clip Compatible Platform
    Handlebar Steel Riser
    Stem Diamondback 4 bolt Ahead 7° 31.8mm
    Seatpost DB SL309p Alloy Micro Adjust 30.9mm
    Seat DB low profile All Moutain saddle
    Headset Zero Stack Ahead 1 1/8″
    Colors Black/White
    Chain KMC-Z51
    Hubset (F) 32h SL-7 Alloy w/ CNC Disc Mount (R) 32h SL-7 Alloy Cassette w/ CNC Disc mount

2. The new bike option1 – Diamondback Apex Trail (performance bike exclusive model)

Brakes: Tektro Hydraulic Disc, 160mm rotors
    Cassette: Shimano 11/32, 8-speed
    Chain: KMC 8-speed
    Crankset: SR Suntour, 42/32/22
    Fork: SR Suntour SF15-XCT-DS 27.5″/29″-100mm of travel, pre-load adjust
    Frame: 6061 butted aluminum, double water bottle mounts, replaceable rear hanger, standard 1 1/8″ head tube
    Front Derailleur: Shimano Tourney
    Grips/Tape: Kraton DB4L
    Handlebar: Aluminum, 650mm width, 15mm rise, 6 degree backsweep
    Headset: FSA IS-3 integrated
    Levers: Tektro Hydraulic
    Pedals: Wellgo, Aluminum
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano Acera, 8-speed
    Rear Shock: None
    Saddle: Diamondback
    Seatpost: Diamondback
    Shifters: Shimano SL-M310, 3×8
    Stem: Aluminum, 7 degree rise
    Tires: 27.5″ Wheel Size: 27.5×2.1; 29″ Wheel Size: 29×2.1

3. The new bike option2 – Diamondback Apex Elite (performance bike exclusive model)
    Brakes: Shimano Hydraulic, BR-M355, 180/160 rotors
    Cassette: Shimano 12/36, 9-speed
    Chain: KMC 9-speed
    Crankset: SR Suntour XCM-T414, 44/32/22T
    Fork: SR Suntour XCM-HLO 27.5″/29″ w/ 100mm Travel, Hydraulic Lockout
    Frame: 6061 butted aluminum, double water bottle mounts, replaceable rear hanger, standard 1 1/8″ head tube
    Front Derailleur: Shimano Acera
    Grips/Tape: Kraton DB4L, rubber, 135mm
    Handlebar: Aluminum, 650mm width, 15mm rise, 6 degree backsweep
    Headset: FSA IS-3 integrated
    Levers: Shimano Hydraulic
    Pedals: Aluminum, Black
    Rear Derailleur: Simano Deore, Shadow Design 9-speed
    Rear Shock: None
    Saddle: Diamondback
    Seatpost: Diamondback 30.9x350mm
    Shifters: Shimano Alivio, 3×9
    Stem: Aluminum, 7 degree rise
    Tires: Schwalbe Rapid Rob; 27.5″ Wheel Size: 27.5×2.25; 29″ Wheel Size: 29×2.25

=======

Since apex is a exclusive model for performance bike. I have no idea if it’s a overall “good for price bike” or it’s actually a “too expensive” bike.
    My bottom like will be my new bike should be at least better than previous one which is diamondback response.
    If the Apex trail is better than response already I think I will go ahead to choose the apex trail.
    If the APex trail is actually worse than response, I think I will have to move to apex elite.

Thank you so much for helping out.

m360
    Free Member

The Trail is a better bike on paper than your old bike. The Elite does look like a much better spec though.

If you were perfectly happy with your old bike and the Trail is the same sort of price, go for that. If you can afford the extra and are happy spending it, the Elite would be a nicer treat.

angiesftpe
    Free Member

@m360

Thank you so much for your help.

I don’t have much experience to tell the spec difference in terms of riding experience.

The reason I decide to ask question here is I notice the difference between the Derailleur’s spec between my old bike and the Apex trail.

My old bike:
    F. Derailleur Shimano TX50 dual pull, Top swing, 34.9
    R. Derailleur Shimano Altus 7spd

Apex Trail: (which I prefer to buy)
    Front Derailleur: Shimano Tourney
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano Acera, 8-speed

Since I happen to read another article about the Derailleur level from shimano.
    I surprisingly found out my new apex trail’s Derailleur looks worse than my missing old bike.

This is why I think I will have to ask. Since I want to buy a bicycle better than my old stolen bike:(

So, it seems like the Derailleur won’t make much difference from your point of view?
    May I know at what circumstances I should consider to upgrade my Derailleur ?

Thanks!!

I wish I can ride more that one day I can answer these question by myself and for others!

cynic-al
    Free Member

You are over thinking it.

Derailleur itself makes little difference.

Spend what you want, both seem reasonable spec.

m360
    Free Member

Agree with Al. Buy the one you can afford and just get out and ride!

mcnultycop

Fork is the most releavant compotent to compare. You may be better asking in a U.S. forum, as people and more likely to know what is available.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Need help to compare beginner MTB – diamondback apex and response’ is closed to new replies.