Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Need help staying focussed
  • SaxonRider

I have two big lectures to deliver this week in London, and with only a couple more days left to prepare, keep running into word-block and getting distracted for long periods of time. Distractions include spending a lot of time going to the fridge, making coffee, chatting with family, checking email, checking STW. I’m sure you know the story.

Anyone on here have any psychological tricks they play on themselves to stay focussed? I sometimes wish I had access to Ritalin, but I probably need some more sustainable strategies!

Now quick, before I get back to task…

crikey
    Free Member

I focus on not having a job if I mess up.

SaxonRider

That could be helpful, but these are lectures whereat I am the guest; they are not directly related to my paycheque. Reputation, yes; employment, no.

andypaul99
    Free Member

If i have something important to do computer wise i go to the Library, treat it as an office and leave your mobile phone or any other distractions at home.

jam-bo

I leave things to the last possible moment so I don’t have time to procrastinate.

JCL
    Free Member

Procrastination is like masturbation. In the end you’re only screwing yourself.

IanMunro
    Free Member

^This.

IanMunro
    Free Member

My response was for jam bo, but I left it too late 😀

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Saxon – Yes I recognise this ! Change your environment, prepare elsewhere eg library away from distractions and be disciplined about no STW etc. Break the back of the prep soon and then you can reward yourself. I am sure a couple of days of 9-5 with a proper break at lunchtime would show some material progress.

crazy-legs

Sorry, what were you saying? I got half way though your post then wandered off for a bit…

molgrips
    Free Member

I suffer from this a lot. Only thing that works for me is an imminent deadline that will result in a severe bollocking

PS I am in London next week too.

geoffj

Pomodoro technique is worth a google

Try 20 minute blocks and take it from there

SaxonRider

Where are you staying in London, molgrips? I’m in Mayfair.

Kryton57

I practise the pomodoro technique in my own way. So ist 10.45, so I state to myself I will have a coffee at 11.30. But before I do I must finish this “thing”.

Works for me from time to time.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Stay focused you say?
    Try a few lines of the white stuff and a can of cider should see you right.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Physically doing something related to the lectures, rather than just thinking about them, usually works for me, eg, doing a dummy run of the lecture, aloud, not in your head, or taking all the words on the slides, pasting into a document, summarising them, and shuffling the points to see if there’s a better order to present them in.

iainc

Remove all distractions, spend a quality 45 mins, have 15 mins distraction, repeat as necessary. 🙂

5thElefant
    Free Member

Try doing a lecture with no prep, a couple of hundred people in the audiance and a killer hangover. Worked for me. I prep meticulously now!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Need help staying focussed’ is closed to new replies.