Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Need help diagnosing drivetrain noise
  • Straightliner

I’ve had a similar result with a damaged chain link – I know you’ve said you’ve checked this but mine was really hard to find. It would at least signify why it only appears under load, and occurs irregularly in relation to your pedal stroke.

gardron
    Free Member

Not just checked it, brand new chain & quicklink

thewalker
    Free Member

hy hav u checked your shock bushes.had a new bike from shop and thats what it was on mine.

gardron
    Free Member

The words “****” and “hope” have been used a lot tonight.

Swapped shock, checked pivots again, regreased linkage, swapped cranks – no difference

Put a hope/stans wheel off my 26″ 456 (which it rides surprisingly well with) in, noise goes away. Swap freehub body & cassette off 650b wheel on to the 26″ wheel, no noise.

At this point I’m thinking “what the hell?” then, with no freehub on the 650b wheel I turn the axle in it and realise just how rough it feels. I have no idea how rough bearings translate into this noise but it’s really chuffing rough.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I have a creak when pedalling uphill. I have traced it to the clutch on the Shadow+ mech. What is that all about? It is silent with the clutch off, but creaks with the clutch on. Lubing the clutch is not a good idea…

nick1962
    Free Member

Should have stuck with a 26er instead of this new fangled wheel size nonsense 😉
    I applaud your perseverance and looks like you’ve finally traced it

stoney
    Free Member

Well done gardron… sounds like you`ve nailed it…., and i dont think any of us said rear hub bearings….. 😳

Quick mention re Troutwrestler… The Sram XX1 suffers from a creak/cracking noise and greasing the shaft etc cures it. There are some vids to show you, it may be a similar aet up?.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Mine is a Shimano Zee.

gardron
    Free Member

The clutch would put more stress on the chain (that’s what keeps the tension, right) so it could be BB or preload on the cranks or chainring bolts at the front end, or at the back it could be dropouts or something which interfaces with the cassette which is flexing more, or maybe jockey wheels. Or your clutch is a bit buggered.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Need help diagnosing drivetrain noise’ is closed to new replies.