Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • Need film recommendations please (dark etc indie)
  • hora
    Free Member

Ok- I like anything dark, different, indie even hollywood films that aren’t helicopter gunships and screaming heroines (shut it binners!).

Anything indie- I also quite like Japanese etc films too and I haven’t seen a good HK movie since Golden Havest etc days.

jimjam
    Free Member

Any preferred genre? For dark and different check out Blue Ruin and Killer Joe. Also it’s been out for a while now but you could do worse than check out The Ordeal/Calvaire. As dark as you like, disturbing but oddly hilarious too.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

assume you seen both The Raid’s?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    binners

hora
    Free Member

I’ve seen the first Raid- whats the second like compared to the first?

Love dark and different. I like stuff like this as well: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/twilight_samurai/

Science fiction – yep

Must be dark though.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Babadook is really good! in fact the Aussies make some real depraved shit.

see also Snowtown, Loved Ones, Animal Kingdom

sharkattack

An alien film called ‘Altered’

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

The 2nd Raid makes the first Raid look like Shaun The Sheep!

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Martyrs is pretty frickin grim.

johndoh
    Free Member

Just don’t watch Interstellar. Gouge your eyeballs out instead. Then push potato peelers into your ears.

(I know it isn’t dark nor indie, but I just saw it and hated every minute of it and needed to vent).

jimjam
    Free Member

Babadook is a good shout, though a bit over rated and frustrating. Japanese stuff I presume you’re familiar with takeshi Kitano?

If not check out Violent Cop, Sonatine and Hana Bi for his earlier stuff. Zatoichi, his take on classic Samurai themes.

Also take a look 13 Assassins. Which was directed by the insanely brilliant Miike Takashi. He’s incredibly prolific, basically a workaholic (12 films a year) a lot are direct to video stuff he takes on just to stay busy but he still gives his own twist to; but he does make some incredible films. Audition, Happiness of the Katakuris, Dead or Alive, City of Lost Souls, Visitor Q, Ichi the killer…

soma_rich
    Free Member

Book of Life is awesome

hora
    Free Member

Ok, let me get a short list going.

Book of Life looks good.

Zatoichi – the hammer/corridor scene was awesome! Didn’t like the Directors other films 🙁

Just don’t watch Interstellar. Gouge your eyeballs out instead. Then push potato peelers into your ears.

(I know it isn’t dark nor indie, but I just saw it and hated every minute of it and needed to vent)

In the same way when I watched Shame? Absolutely hated it but was compelling viewing.

jimjam
    Free Member

hora
    Zatoichi – the hammer/corridor scene was awesome! Didn’t like the Directors other films

You’re confusing it with OldBoy?

hora
    Free Member

Oops- yes. I liked Zatoichi too. (I didn’t like Sympathy for Lady Vengeance or Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance that Oldboy director made).

jimjam
    Free Member

hora

Oops- yes. I liked Zatoichi too. (I didn’t like Sympathy for Lady Vengeance or Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance that Oldboy director made).

I enjoyed Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance but thought Lady Vengeance was a bit meh. I like JSA though. Thirst, not so much.

If you enjoyed Zatoichi and Twighlight Samurai you’ll probably like 13 Assasins. You might want to take a look at Ichi (not to be confused with Ichi the Killer) and When the Last Sword is Drawn and The Hidden Blade. It’s a bit older but you might also want to seek out The Blade by Tsui Hark, and of course if you haven’t seen Yojimbo and Sanjuro do so immediately.

Takeshi Kitano (director of Zatoichi) started of his directing career with some serious hard boiled cop dramas. Really slow burners but rewarding, in my second post.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Tyrannosaur.

Paddy Considine film with Peter Mullen in it.

Absolutely pitch-black tale of grim-up-north woe that makes Mike Leigh’s films look like the Pokemon movie.

Wally

A hijacking – following a similar recent thread on here.
    Obviously – Battle Royale. If you liked Old Boy.

colournoise

It’s animated and pretty old now, but Perfect Blue is an interesting and dark (in a different way) film.

peterfile
    Free Member

I always recommend this, but Biutiful will take you to a very dark place.

A hijacking

+1

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TozprFrnn10[/video]

Just for you, hora. A film that makes everyone go “WTF?!”

[NSFW]

hora
    Free Member

Never stop laughing at that one.

And its **** serious!

jimoiseau
    Free Member

Enemy by Denis Villeneuve is a bit dark and different. Worth watching that and Ayoade’s The Double around the same time to see which take on it you prefer. Personally, I much preferred Villeneuve’s, even though I’m generally a massive Ayoade fan.

Pigface
    Free Member

Headhunters is a great Norwegian film, dark funny and should fit the bill.

j450n
    Free Member

Just Watched “Rubber’s Lovers”, Japanese LSD/Telepathy Madness, Great stuff, also Tetsuo Trillogy.

These are cool:
    Necrostorm:
    Adam Chaplin (2011)
    Hotel Inferno (2013)
    Taeter City (2012)

jon1973
    Free Member

it’s an old one, but have you ever seen Twelve Monkeys? Still one of my favourite films after all these years.

deadkenny
    Free Member

New films or old?

Anything David Lynch (especially Eraserhead), David Cronenberg, Roman Polanski. Bit of Tim Burton too perhaps (less his newer stuff and definitely not Planet of the Apes).

Pans Labyrinth is quite dark and obscure.

binners

If you want dark, but also very very funny, this is utterly brilliant!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEFj0Pngu_E[/video]

ghastlyrabbitfat
    Free Member

Yes, would agree with “Tyrannosaur” , though if you really want something uncomfortable to watch then try “Irreversible”. For J Horror type, “A Tale of Two Sisters” takes some beating and deserves a second or third viewing. “The Woodsman” has a great performance from Kevin Bacon and makes challenging indie viewing 🙂

binners

Agree that Tyrannosaur is hard going but worth it. How dark do you want? This is so utterly bleak as to be virtually unwatchable. You will lose all hope for humanity. Makes Tyrannosaur look like the Muppet Movie

iolo
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOar08f-OnI[/video]

Amazing movie. Japanese and on Netflix.

dannybgoode

Dead Man’s Shoes
    Martyrs (Warning – as dark as they come)
    Ichi the Killer (try and find the uncut version)
    Life is Beautiful

Note only Dead Man’s Shoes is in English and do watch the others with subtitles and not dubbing.

jimjam
    Free Member

ghastlyrabbitfat – Member

Yes, would agree with “Tyrannosaur” , though if you really want something uncomfortable to watch then try “Irreversible”.

Or not. I don’t think I could recommend it to anyone in good conscience unless they specifically said they had become desensitised to rape and murder. I’d liken to watching execution videos online.

For J Horror type, “A Tale of Two Sisters” takes some beating and deserves a second or third viewing. “The Woodsman” has a great performance from Kevin Bacon and makes challenging indie viewing

Tale of Two Sisters was pretty stock fare imo. Woodsman was mildly depressing and quite boring.

deadkenny

[pedant] It won three oscars (nominated for six) and a bafta as well as being an international hit [/pedant]

marmaduke
    Free Member

+1 Perfect Blue, dark, Japanese psychological thriller one of my all time favourites. Also Ghost in the Shell, 80s Japanese dark sci-fi with beautiful background art.

colster808
    Free Member

Snowpiercer. Craps name and premises but good film.

DezB
    Free Member

‘Under The Skin’ is the darkest film I’ve seen in a long time. Whether it was good is debatable!

‘Starred Up’ is worth a watch.

jon1973
    Free Member

deadkenny

[pedant] It won three oscars (nominated for six) and a bafta as well as being an international hit [/pedant]

I took obscure to mean not clear / easily understood on the first viewing. Needs watching a couple of times. Which I’d agree with.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Gummo

jimjam
    Free Member

Needs watching a couple of times. Which I’d agree with.

I guess if you’re not used to allegory or subtext you might.

jon1973
    Free Member

I guess if you’re not used to allegory or subtext you might.

I guess I’m just not as clever as you

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Need film recommendations please (dark etc indie)’ is closed to new replies.